A Body for Every Occasion

Nuclear Fridge

I’m trying to build a Multiform character under 5ed rules, and I’m scratching my head. There are a couple of aspects I just don’t get…

The character, “Pantheon”, is intended to have 4 or 8 ‘modes’ she can switch between (the Multiforms). Each is built to 300 points or so. I plan to make each body a superhuman archetype – a brick, a telepath, an energy projector, etc. That’s straightforward enough.

But my problem is this: what if some (or all) of the different bodies have Disadvantages? The brick form being made of ‘organic steel’, for example: it is vulnerable to magnetic attacks and physically is very heavy. When Pantheon switches from that body to, say, the telepath form, what happens? How does having these Disadvantages affect the points for the Multiform?

Re: A Body for Every Occasion

As I understand it' date=' you have to build each character individually. So, assuming your campaign guidelines are 150base+150 disadvantage points, each character should be built to the same guidelines. The disadvantages of the Brick no longer apply when he switches to the Telepath.[/quote']

Concur.

And according to FRED pg 138 "The Player must have a complete character sheet for each form. Forms may have different abilities, personalities, or Disadvantages that the true from or each other, if the player so desires..."

Most Rocks are silicon

organic silicon might be more viable since silicon has four bounding ports just like carbon

the silicon atoms is heavier so can't mix with water

perhaps, a mercury liquid could contain organic silicon chains

Yeah, Silicon acts like Carbon, but if I remember correctly the Covalent bonds of Silicon are weaker than that of Carbon which is probably why Silicon-base life never evolved on Earth.

If you are adamant (pun not intended) about "organic steel" then purhaps a "poly-mimetic liquid alloy" would be more appropriate for you Brick form.

Just my $0.02

Well, I flunked my Chemistry many years ago. :P

I just threw out 'organic steel' as an example... The brick form could be almost any robust substance. The silicon option sounds okay.

So the base form buys the Multiform, and I draw up 300-point sheets for each 'mode' Pantheon can switch to, with Disads to fit each form? That 300 points also covers Skills, which can differ from body to body?

The human body is mostly water

in my proposal the silicon body would be mostly mercury

merc34b.jpg

http://www.zyra.org.uk/mercury3.htm

Yeah, Silicon acts like Carbon, but if I remember correctly the Covalent bonds of Silicon are weaker than that of Carbon which is probably why Silicon-base life never evolved on Earth.

If you are adamant (pun not intended) about "organic steel" then perhaps a "poly-mimetic liquid alloy" would be more appropriate for you Brick form.

Just my $0.02

Mercury freezes at -38.72 degrees C

Maybe an a lower body temperature say -20 C where mercury is still a liquid

the weaker covalent bonds of silicon could form life chains.

Mercury does not have the polarization of water molecules .

Water's polarization assists in dissolving compounds for processing by life.

Maybe including feral magnetic clusters would assist in creating a mercury life soup .

merc34b.jpg

http://www.zyra.org.uk/mercury3.htm

Mercury does have the polarization of water molecules .

Maybe including feral magnetic clusters would assist in creating a mercury life soup .

I got lost at "mercury freezes"...

Seriously, if Colossus of the X-men can still talk when he's in metal form - and he apparently doesn't breathe when he's metal - it's really just 'rubber science'. Or Wolverine's metal-laced bones... how is that supposed to work???

I'll just pick some 'tough material' and go with it.

Well, I flunked my Chemistry many years ago. :P

I just threw out 'organic steel' as an example... The brick form could be almost any robust substance. The silicon option sounds okay.

So the base form buys the Multiform, and I draw up 300-point sheets for each 'mode' Pantheon can switch to, with Disads to fit each form? That 300 points also covers Skills, which can differ from body to body?

Exactly. Each Form in a multiform is for lack of a better term seperate people with a single commanding consciousness. And since each is a different person they can each have different skills. After all, if one were to Build beast boy, one would not expect his T-Rex form to have Survival (Aquatic) or his Shark Form to have Survival (Savahnah). Poor example I know, but it should give you the answer you needed.

I make a correction to my last statement

Mercury does NOT have the polarization of water molecules .

and yes multiform is the way to go

Mercury does have the polarization of water molecules .

Hrm... would be interesting to see if anyone has tried this in a lab...

I think the problem here is trying to swap one element for another (or in the case of water and mercury swapping a compound for an element).

The basis of life is the transfer of electrons. The core of life as we know it is the cell and multi-cellular creatures, such as we are, need complex mechanisms to effect that transfer of electrons from a food source to a terminal electron acceptor (oxygen). In that process we create a transient energy (ATP) and store excess as fat (that we can create energy from in times of famine).

Now. In the case of a silicon based life form, would it require a cellular existence or the same plumbing? Who knows. It would come down to the rubber science you wanted to use. You could say that the silicon (a semi-conductor) does not require plumbing as the electrons could be transmitted through the core elements of the lifeform (and so magnetic based attacks would interfere with that transfer).

We can often get too bogged down trying to explain the hows rather than explaining the whats that make things interesting to play.

Doc

Exactly. Each Form in a multiform is for lack of a better term seperate people with a single commanding consciousness. And since each is a different person they can each have different skills. After all' date=' if one were to Build beast boy, one would not expect his T-Rex form to have Survival (Aquatic) or his Shark Form to have Survival (Savahnah). Poor example I know, but it should give you the answer you needed.[/quote']

Thank you! Have some rep. That clears the whole thing up for me.