Summoning [5e]

I am writing up a character that has a summoning power. I have a couple of questions to that effect.

1) Which of the following powers would allow him to summon 4 creatures built on 200/150:

100 Demon Summoning: Summon 4 200/150 point demons, Expanded Class +1/2, Devoted +3/4

167 Demon Summoning: Summon 4 200/150 point demons, Expanded Class +1/2, Devoted +3/4

2) He has mind-link specifically for his summons. How far away can the summons travel from him? Will I need to add Ranged and Mega Range if he sends his minions off to run errands? He cannot create his summons at range, only send them off great distances.

Re: Summoning [5e]

I hate to be contrary, but I believe you folks are mathing a bit off, the correct answer is 180pts.

1 Demon with 200 base points and 150 pts of Disads is a 350 Demon. To summon him is 70 pts (350 /5).

2 Demons are 75pts and 4 are 80pts (+5pts for each x2).

80 pts x (1 + 1/2 + 3/4) = 180.

From HD: Summon 4 350-point creatures, Expanded Class of Beings Limited Group (+1/2), Devoted (+3/4) (180 Active Points)

EDIT: I should have made sure to mention that a summoned creature's base points are the total points in the character including Disads and XP. So a character with 200 base + 150 Disads is a 350 pt character.

EDIT EDIT: Mind Link has a normal range of 'the planet' but does requires Line of Sight to initiate (and either requires an ECV attack roll or a willing recipient). Adders are also considered part of the base cost of a power when applying Modifiers.

EDIT: I should have made sure to mention that a summoned creature's base points are the total points in the character including Disads and XP. So a character with 200 base + 150 Disads is a 350 pt character.
This is what I wanted to know.

EDIT EDIT: Mind Link has a normal range of 'the planet' but does requires Line of Sight to initiate (and either requires an ECV attack roll or a willing recipient). Adders are also considered part of the base cost of a power when applying Modifiers.
This I already knew. My question is: can the Summons leave the summoner and act at his behest so he can stay safely hidden in his lair?

This guy is not really meant for combat. He has a couple of combat abilities, but he is strictly a behind the scenes type. He basically summons whatever demons he needs for any given situation and sends them off. He might keep one of his daily summons in reserve in case some heroic individual should put 2 and 2 together and come looking for him (I will be adding the Charges Limitation to the power). But that is only so he can effect his escape.

EDIT: New question, how is this for a disadvantage for the Summoned Creatures:

15 Susceptability: Effects that Dispell Magic/Summons Uncommon, 3d6 Instant

This is what I wanted to know.

This I already knew. My question is: can the Summons leave the summoner and act at his behest so he can stay safely hidden in his lair?

This guy is not really meant for combat. He has a couple of combat abilities, but he is strictly a behind the scenes type. He basically summons whatever demons he needs for any given situation and sends them off. He might keep one of his daily summons in reserve in case some heroic individual should put 2 and 2 together and come looking for him (I will be adding the Charges Limitation to the power). But that is only so he can effect his escape.

EDIT: New question, how is this for a disadvantage for the Summoned Creatures:

15 Susceptability: Effects that Dispell Magic/Summons Uncommon, 3d6 Instant

Ok, a question: Is this a villain? I ask because it would be strange for a hero to sit at home while his minions do all the work. In cases where I you have a villain like this (I have a fav that Summons Zombies...ZOMBIE KING!) I don't spend a lot of time (or any time) worrying about how to build his Summon. He is a villain and can have as many points as I need him to have. So the Zombie King doesn't actually have a Summon. I just chuck a couple hundred zombies into the city as tell the heroes that he's been busy!

The Summoned creatures are normal creatures in their own right that have feelings and desires. I think it's a safe assumption that, within a certain degree of accuracy, they will do what they are told. Given a picture of someone and told to kidnap the individual, they might grab up a twin or a similar looking person (and that scene where the villain berates his bumbling henchdemon ensues) but they shouldn't need constant supervision. So I guess the answer, in the end, is Yes. The demons that are summoned are as fully capable (intellectually) as any regular demon and any regular character. They can move about on their own, will go potty and eat when they need to etc.

Summoned creatures are going to naturally going to effected by a Dispel. That Dispel (once is reaches the right threshold) will send them back from whence they came. They don't really need another complication. You can, of course, do what you like but I wouldn't build my demons in that fashion.

Ok' date=' a question: Is this a villain? [/quote'] Yes

I ask because it would be strange for a hero to sit at home while his minions do all the work. In cases where I you have a villain like this (I have a fav that Summons Zombies...ZOMBIE KING!) I don't spend a lot of time (or any time) worrying about how to build his Summon. He is a villain and can have as many points as I need him to have. So the Zombie King doesn't actually have a Summon. I just chuck a couple hundred zombies into the city as tell the heroes that he's been busy!
I'm actually building the summons for in-combat situations. When/if the PCs finally catch up to him, he can summon more troops to cover his escape.

The Summoned creatures are normal creatures in their own right that have feelings and desires.

Players in my PBEM please don't read, as you may wind up running into him (I'm building him for my Face-to-face game initially, but he may make an appearance in the PBEM game.

Not exactly... the Villain is an anime fanboy/otaku. He gained the magical ability to bring his favorite characters "to life." He actually creates physical bodies through shear force of will. The creatures are for all intents and purposes the same as those from the Anime/Manga he watches, but they are slightly different. They virtually have no skills. They are vulnerable to light-based / EM attacks. They take damage if immersed in running water or caught in the rain. They only exist because he wants them to exist. If they die in battle, they vanish altogether until he re-manifests them. The reason I went with Devoted instead of Slavishly Loyal was because he cannot make them act in a way contrary to the way they acted in the series, but they will otherwise follow his commands. The mind-link is because they are an extension of his will, but he need not actively concentrate for them to remain manifest.

Does this make sense?

Summoned creatures are going to naturally going to effected by a Dispel. That Dispel (once is reaches the right threshold) will send them back from whence they came. They don't really need another complication. You can, of course, do what you like but I wouldn't build my demons in that fashion.
The reason I am giving them this Disad is because parts of their form are dispelled, even if the Dispell itself is not successful. I am also thinking of giving the main villain's power "Difficult to Dispell" to make it harder for his minions to be so easily vanquished.

Player: "I want my HERO to SUMMON DEMONS!"

GM: ...

Actually, following Aaron Asprin's Myth Adventures series, Demon is an abbreviation of "Dimen-sional Traveler" (Demon-sional Traveler, get it?). So if one defined Demons as any being from another Dimension, then yes, I would allow a hero to summon demons ;):P

www.mythadventures.net

I've decided to change things up a bit. The villain is just going to be a plot device. He will be a Normal-level being with a mind-link that allows him to communicate with this minions. And the minions will no longer be summons.And they will take damage from Dispell of an appropriate amount. Thus is they get by 60 points of dispell, they'll take 12d6 points of damage. So they would have the following limitation:

Physical Limitation: Takes damage from Dispell/Effects that Disrupt Magic (Uncommon, Greatly)

What do you think? Cleaner way of handling things? Would it still be plausible that they turn into a puddle of goo when they are killed/knocked out? Should I build them as constructs?