Post-Apocalyptic craziness: Grace Unterbrandt, Zombie Hunter

Xavier Onassiss

My most recent HeroMachine 3.0 creation was Grace Unterbrandt, a post-apocalyptic zombie-hunting one-woman crematorium on wheels. And after coming up with a pic like that, there was just no way I wasn't going to do a character sheet to match. Thumbnail pic and character sheet below. I'm still working on the 'background' fields. The short version: she's an ex-biker who left her old gang and took up a crusade against the undead. She's temporarily settled down at a remote truck stop on Hemlock Hill, where the regulars feel her zombie-killing prowess outweighs her shady past and reputation for blowing things up.

[ATTACH]36181[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]36182[/ATTACH]

Grace Unterbrant, Zombie Hunter

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [3]

15 DEX 10 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

13 CON 3 12-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 12-

13 EGO 3 12- ECV: 3 - 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

5 OCV 10

5 DCV 10

3 OMCV 0

3 DMCV 0

3 SPD 10 Phases: 4, 8, 12

5+6 PD 3 Total: 5/11 PD (0/6 rPD)

4+6 ED 2 Total: 4/10 ED (0/6 rED)

6 REC 2

25 END 1

11 BODY 1

26 STUN 3 Total Characteristic Cost: 72

Movement: Running: 15m/30m

Leaping: 5m/10m

Swimming: 4m/8m

Cost Powers END

3 Hyper-vigilant: +1 PER with all Sense Groups 0

7 Combat move: Running 15m; only for half-moves (-1) 1

2 Cool shades: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points); OAF (-1) 0

13 Grenades: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Area Of Effect (6m Radius Explosion; +¼); OAF (-1), 12 Charges (-¼), Range Based On Strength (-¼), Real Weapon (-¼) [12]

17 Flamethrower: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Area Of Effect (15m Cone; +½), Thin Cone (-¼), Constant (+½), Sticky (+½), Uncontrolled (+½); STR Minimum 9-13 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -¾), OIF (-½), No Range (-½), Required Hands Two-Handed (-½), No Knockback (-¼), Real Weapon (-¼), 2 clips of 12 Charges (-0) [12]

15 Really Big Gun: Multipower, 31-point reserve, all slots OAF (-1)

1f 1) .44 magnum!: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6-1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+¼);

OAF (-1), STR Minimum 9-13 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1),

2 clips of 6 Charges (-½), Beam (-¼), Real Weapon (-¼) [6]

1f 2) Pistol-whip!: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½);

OAF (-1), STR Minimum 9-13 (-½), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-¼), Real Weapon (-¼) 0

1f 3) See this gun? It's pointed at you!: +15 PRE; OAF (-1), only for Presence Attacks (-1)

Alright, let's do this: Dirty Infighting

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Backhand +0 +2 7d6 Strike

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 35 STR to Disarm

4 Eye Gouge -1 -1 Flash 6d6

5 Hoist 'n' Heave -2 -2 45 STR , Grab Two Limbs, +20 STR to Throw

4 Kidney punch -2 +0 HKA 2d6 +1

4 Low blow -1 +1 3d6 NND

5 Roundhouse -2 +1 9d6 Strike

3 Throw +0 +1 5d6 +v/10, Target Falls

1 Weapon Element: Clubs

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

9 I rode with 'em for years.: Contact: Biker gang (Contact has significant Contacts of his own), Organization Contact (x3) 11-

6 The only good zombie is an over-cooked zombie.: Positive Reputation: Expert Zombie-hunter (A medium-sized group) 14-, +3/+3d6

5 Don't touch the bike!: Vehicles

Talents

12 Too pretty to die: Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

3 I'm quick; you're dead.: Lightning Reflexes (+5 DEX to act first with All Ranged Attacks)

Skills

3 Roll with it.: Breakfall 12-

3 You got any more of that?: Charm 15-

3 Be right down!: Climbing 12-

3 The bike's pink. Deal with it.: Combat Driving 12-

10 Stupid zombies!: Defense Maneuver I-IV

3 Drop it.: Fast Draw: Pistols 12-

3 Made it myself.: Inventor 11-

2 Always go for the head.: KS: Zombies & How to Kill Them 11-

2 A little help from my friends.: CuK: Bikers 11-

3 Zen and Motorcycle Repair: Mechanics 11-

2 Map-folding 101: Navigation (Land) 11-

3 Excuse me, I'm bleeding here!: Paramedics 11-

2 I hear you've got uninvited guests.: PS: Zombie Hunter 11-

2 No, I don't play "Living Dead Girl": PS: Guitar player 11-

5 D**n, I'm empty.: Rapid Attack ; Ranged Attacks Only (-1)

3 Time to hit the truck stop.: Streetwise 15-

6 I eat my road kill.: Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Desert, Urban) 11-

3 What's it worth to you?: Trading 15-

3 WF: Small Arms, Flamethrowers

3 Yeah, it's also a guitar.: Weaponsmith (Firearms, Incendiary Weapons) 11-

20 Die, you undead scum!: +2 with All Attacks

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 229

Total Cost: 300

300+ Matching Complications

15 Dependent NPC: Hemlock Hill truck stop Infrequently (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x4 DNPCs)

10 Hunted: hostile biker gang Infrequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

10 Negative Reputation: Blows everything all to h**l, Infrequently (Extreme)

15 Psychological Complication: Hates zombies & mutants (Common; Strong)

10 Social Complication: Ex-member of notorious biker gang Frequently, Minor

Total Complications Points: 300

Re: Post-Apocalyptic craziness: Grace Unterbrandt, Zombie Hunter

Ohhh. Nice. I could definitely use her (after dropping 100 points or so). I've been building monster hunters for the past week or so (at 200pts). Did you upload her to the vault?

EDIT: Oh, I can probably drop her to 200 points just by moving all her weapons to Equipment! :)

Ohhh. Nice. I could definitely use her (after dropping 100 points or so). I've been building monster hunters for the past week or so (at 200pts). Did you upload her to the vault?

EDIT: Oh, I can probably drop her to 200 points just by moving all her weapons to Equipment! :)

The equipment totals about 50 points, but that's a good start. She's got 20 points in combat skill levels which could be trimmed, and quite a few of those martial arts maneuvers / extra DC's could be removed without too much trouble.

Edited to add: her Presence should be 15, not 30! The multi slot is included in that total, which it shouldn't be, I think.

The background info for Grace Unterbrandt's character sheet, finally completed....

Background/History: Yeah, I used to ride with the Killers, but they aren't what they used to be. It was a little over a year ago, all the zombie trouble started, and half the gang was gone overnight. My partner, Zack, died so the rest of us could make it back to the Garage. After that, most of 'em decided to grab everything they could carry and run for it, but I had all of Zack's tools there, not to mention my favorite axe, here. (strokes guitar shaft fondly) Besides that, I wasn't about to leave without making those dead, stinking flesh-eaters PAY for what they'd done to us. And by god, I did. Come morning, there wasn't a zombie left standing -- I either burned 'em all, or chased 'em off. Never did go back to my old gang... I just took off riding, looking for more zombies. And whenever, wherever I find 'em, I light 'em up.

Now I've settled down for a while at the old truck stop out on Hemlock Hill. They've had a lot of trouble with zombies up there, too, and lost a lot of good people since the whole world went crazy. For once nobody's giving me a hard time about riding with the Killers, or all the stuff I blew up the night the zombies attacked. I can ride, and I can fight the undead -- that's all that matters around here. Rumor has it there's a new gang of zombies out on the road -- the flesh-eaters have learned how to ride, and now they're looking for me. It sounds like things are gonna get hot around here....

Personality/Motivation: Grace Unterbrandt has seen it all -- life, death, undeath, love, betrayal, and even redemption. She had a lot going for her before the outbreak of the 'zombie war': she played a mean guitar, rode with a biker gang, and learned from the gangs' mechanic, her old partner Zack. Where she learned how to fight was anybody's guess, but if any of the Killers ever laid a hand on her (aside from Zack) she'd mop the floor with them. (Not that she'd ever actually mop a floor, but you get the idea....)

After that horrible night when hordes of zombies appeared and killed Zack, half the Killers, and a few million other folks, Grace REALLY got mean. She rides alone now, as she considers her old gang "a useless butt-load of cowardly zombie-chow." Her hatred for the undead is so intense that she'll level an entire building in order to eliminate a single zombie, if she decides the building is "getting in the way." She doesn't like to kill normal people, however, and tries to give them ample warning before such collateral damage occurs. Whether they choose to listen when she warns them is entirely their call, however!

Since moving into the Hemlock Hill truck stop, Grace is starting to enjoy civilization again. Home-cooked meals are pretty good, and someday soon she might get crazy and try using the shower!

Quotes: Look, genius, luring those ghouls into the old paint shop was YOUR brilliant idea! What were you gonna do, primer-coat 'em? They needed a flame-job, so I gave 'em a real good one!

Heh. The only good zombie is an over-cooked zombie.

Whew! Never quite get used to the smell, do ya?

Powers/Tactics: Grace considers 'excessive force' to be pretty much standard operating procedure when fighting zombies. She prefers using her home-made flame-throwing guitar whenever possible, but will toss grenades around corners, over walls, etc. if she needs to use indirect fire. She'll also improvise other methods of destroying undead in wholesale lots, if the opportunity arises. (It saves ammo.) Her revolver isn't quite as useful against zombies, but very intimidating against regular folks -- intimidating enough that sometimes she doesn't have to fire a shot. It's also extremely heavy when used as a club. Grace's favorite brawling maneuvers are pretty much useless against zombies, but if anyone else scuffles with her, they can expect kidney punches, low blows and eye gouges. She fights dirty.

Campaign Use: Grace could be used as a PC or NPC in a 'zombie apocalypse' campaign. There's a strong undercurrent of grim humor throughout her story and especially in her character picture. (created with HeroMachine 3.0) She's best suited for a semi-serious 'grindhouse' style story. (Think of the film Planet Terror.) For a more serious game, change some of the silly names in her background , replace Grace's flame-throwing guitar with a regular flamethrower, and give her some better dialogue.

As written, Grace is extremely powerful for a heroic-level game. To make her less powerful (or just bring down her point total) some of her weapons could be changed from Powers to Equipment, possibly purchased with Resource points. (Making them more likely to be lost/taken away.) Also, the number of shots in the flamethrower could be reduced. Grace has two skill levels with all attacks which could be considered optional, and a lengthy list of martial maneuvers which could be shortened. Her characteristics probably shouldn't be reduced, however.

On the other hand, Grace is at the low end of the scale for most superheroic games. To make her more powerful, increase some of Grace's characteristics: any of her physical stats (STR, DEX, CON) could be higher, or raise some of her combat stats (OCV, DCV, SPD, REC, or STUN). Grace could also benefit from additional skill levels, both combat and otherwise. More zombie-killing ability could be defined using Deadly Blow: only v. undead.

Appearance: Grace would be an attractive woman if she ever cleaned up. She's in very good condition, but she doesn't have time for frivolous things like shopping for clothes or visiting a hair stylist! She's constantly healing up from numerous minor cuts, bruises and burns, most of which are bandaged with strips of denim ripped off her own shorts. (Grace is no expert on first aid but at least all her bandages match.) It's not clear what'll happen when she runs out of denim -- rumor has it the unrated DVD will have an 'easter egg' at the end of the credits with a deleted scene of Grace fighting zombies commando style. But 'word of god' says she'll have all new legwear to shred when the sequel comes out in a couple of years.

Her custom-built chopper is hot pink. It's not clear whether Grace really likes it that way, or just enjoys beating the holy living crap out of anyone who makes a snide remark about her paint job.

• 2 weeks later...