Convention Scenario

Magmarock

Hey guys,

I need some help, a little inspiration to be exact. I'm running a game in an upcoming convention and I have a 6 hour time limit (Well, it's the last game on that table for the evening, so I actually have until the wee hours of the morning or until everyone gets too tired to play).

My question is, what would be a good one-shot scenario to run? I don't want to run the cliche bank or museum robbery.

So, sugestions anyone?

Mags

1 See if the con organizers can provide coffee.

2 If you're using pre-generated characters maybe keep them relatively simple in construction(maybe avoiding activation rolls , etc) and/or provide a (non-mechanics) list of powers and what they do and look like in layman's terms ("You can blast flames from your eyes, you have a laser-pistol and a flight-ring")

3 Figure you could have at least two combats in your scenario.

The first (minor) one should be kept to about an hour if possible and have the villains start surrendering or running away at about the 45 minute mark (this'll also depend on how many players you've got and how many are Hero System-savvy)

The bigger combat you may want to steer towards starting at some point in the beginning of hour 5 and let it go as long as it needs to.

For scenario ideas , maybe a mystery or some sort of phenomena that needs investigation ( "Bootleg cassettes and tapes of tv shows , movies and music concerts from an alternate Earth are somehow being smuggled to our reality and PRIMUS is concerned.")

Try to have a 15 minute to half-hour break between the combats

Thanks Chuck..

I've been a GM at conventions before and know about all that stuff... I was kinda looking for inspiration on the type of scenario.

I want to avoid running a lot of agents, because I think that slows down the combat. On the other hand, I don't want to run a single, super-powerful villain, because with my luck the heroes will take him out early. Sooooooooo, that leaves a small villain group, then. I'll not use GRAB, since they would rather run than fight and they lend themselves better to the type of scenario that I want to avoid (a cliche robbery).

Should I go with a "Save the World" scenario, or stick with something closer to street level?

Mags

Origins Game

I ran Unearthed Mechana (my adventure) at Origins. The adventure is in Digital Hero #12. We assumed the use of the Champions + Kineteic on the hero side, but you can use any super hero team. The villains are pretty tuff and the game has all of the elements. I hope that helps.

:)

As long as you're checking DH...

There's another good one-shot adventure in DH #9, "Infectious Enthusiasm" by John Taber. Good mix of combat, investigation and rescue scenes, with uses for detective and science/technical skills. Evenly matched hero and villain teams are provided, built to Standard Super Hero criteria.

Excellent idea!

Thank you, Lord Liaden!

I am printing out the pages for "Infectious Enthusiasm" even as I type this post. It looks like I will be using this scenario at the convention. I may make a few changes just in case some of the Players have read this adventure.

Also, chances are there will be people who'll want to bring in their own PCs, but I figure if I trade them out, one for one, it should be ok. Especially if it is a Brick for a Brick, or an EB for an EB.

Once again, thanks for the great suggestion!

Mags