Complications as Perk

Utech

I was very happy when the 5th Edition rules added Reputation as both a Disadvantage and a Perk. The rules made a lot of sense and added a lot to the system.

I'm curious as to what other Complications/Disadvantages might be taken as Perks and what that might do to the game. Any thoughts from Herodom would be much appreciated.

Example:

Could Age be to your advantage? Perhaps there's a new age category called "Prime of Life" or some-such. How much would it cost? What might it grant you?

Re: Complications as Perk

Well, in 6E COM has been replaced by a Perk or Talent (I forget which it is listed under) that could also qualify for a Distinguishing Feature Complication. Some Psychological Complications could arguably have some positive effects that could be purchased as a custom Perk or just as justification for Limited increased Mental Defense or PRE or other Characteristics/Powers that may apply in specific situations.

Well' date=' in 6E COM has been replaced by a Perk or Talent (I forget which it is listed under) that could also qualify for a Distinguishing Feature Complication. Some Psychological Complications could arguably have some positive effects that could be purchased as a custom Perk or just as justification for Limited increased Mental Defense or PRE or other Characteristics/Powers that may apply in specific situations.[/quote']

Great! Any suggested builds?

Well, Overconfident is a common Psychological Complication for Villains and young, hot headed, or flashy Heroes. That aspect of the character could easily justify +X PRE, only for Defense vs PRE Attacks (-1 I think).

Or how about a Psych Comp like Scientific Curiosity as an excuse for the Cramming Skill (possibly limited to Science Skills)?

Enough Striking Appearance may justify a Distinctive Feature like Unearthly Beauty or Horribly Scarred, or what not.

You can normally choose to not apply Power Defense to friendly Adjustment Powers, but I could easily see a Physical Complication that required to Power DEF to apply to all Adjustment Powers, even beneficial ones.

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure some folks could think of some more or provide actual builds.

EDIT: I realize these are not exactly what you asked for, something that can function as a Perk and Disad/Complication, but I think it's in the same spirit as what you're talking about...

Watched (the 'lite' version of Hunted) could, and in some cases should, be compensated with the Membership or Rank perk. The same goes for the Subject to Orders Social Complication.

For the ultimate 'Complication as Perk, there's always the option of taking your NPC Rival as a Contact if you want to make things really interesting....