Considering: Sliding the KA scale for Weapons

Christougher

Re: Considering: Sliding the KA scale for Weapons

Admittedly' date=' this would be a nerf on damage inflicted, but I think I have a solution to that (STR Min = AP/3) but I don't want to derail the thread with that yet.[/quote']

In heroic games, the damage done is relevant, but the AP are far less so as most weapons are purchased with cash. In superheroic games, where the cost of DC's is far more relevant, the STR min is generally not used. As such, any solution relying on revising the STR Min rules will not resolve issues on an overall basis.

In heroic games' date=' the damage done is relevant, but the AP are far less so as most weapons are purchased with cash. In superheroic games, where the cost of DC's is far more relevant, the STR min is generally not used. As such, any solution relying on revising the STR Min rules will not resolve issues on an overall basis.[/quote']

Since I'm only concerned with heroic level, that's why this is posted on the Fantasy Hero board instead of the Champions or Hero System boards. :stupid:

Even on a purely heroic scale, significant changes to the interaction of STR and damage can considerably change the value of STR - already a very valuable commodity in fantasy games, where most weaponry is muscle powered and capacity for carrying gear is extremely important.

And who cares whether 1/2d6 and 1d6-1 cost the same or not when you don't pay points for the equipment anyway?

Simpler to just rule that, even where base damage is 1d6-1, damage rising from STR goes 1 pip; 1/2d6;1d6. Pretty much everyone adds DC's from STR, martial arts, etc. so the "d6-1" will rarely, if ever, be rolled.

As well, nerfing KA damage also affects those Wizard spells, and they don't have a STR min/damage adder mechanic to adjust.

I'm inclined to agree with the prior posters - I have simply long since dropped d6-1. 5 points buys you a DC in the procession 1 point, 1/2d6, 1d6. Given that that gives you a range from hatpin (1 pt) to murderous, but skilled berserker with a greatsword (4d6) that's plenty of granularity for most heroic games.

cheers, Mark