only when hits - charges, End cost, burnout

dugfromthearth

I suggest a +1/4 modifier to the limitations (or adder): charges, End Cost, and burnout if they only apply when the target is hit.

Tesla generates a static electric charge. When he touches something it gets zapped, and that drains his power (End). But if he misses they don't get zapped and he doesn't lose and End.

Since 0 End is +1/2, this must be a +1/4 adder.

Burnout only when hits with charges seems a little unusual, but this is Hero and the unusual is common. So it seemed worth figuring. A +1/4 to charges increases the number of charges by 50%. Missing 1/3 of the time seems generically reasonable.

Burnout only when hits applies to weapons that can break when they hit. And +1/4 just seemed reasonable and consistent to apply to burnout as well.

I think that's a great idea. I've had the same problem recently, building powers that should only burn charges when they work (which especially applies to skill rolls). At first glance +1/4 seems fair, but something's nagging me that it might need to be +1/2. Not sure why; I'll have to dig out my copy of 5E and investigate.

-AA

I like to use Trigger for this, at least for things like the mentioned example. That would mean the charge or End is used up when the static discharge is set up, but the power comes off only, "when a successful unarmed attack is made." This is like the suggested +1/4, but is a little more limited. (Remember that Multiple Power Attacks can be made, so using a tiggered power in this fashion isn't quite so unbalancing anymore.)

Originally posted by austenandrews

Trigger is logically workable, except don't you have to set up each Trigger beforehand? So if you were simulating a Damage Shield with Trigger (though the rules specifically discourage that), you'd have to spend a lot of time setting up however many Charges it has?

An attack action to set up the triggered power (maybe even a non-attack action--I'm not sure, and may depend on the GM); an attack action for each attack until I hit. Does that sound bad, considering that I get two damage rolls and only expend a Charge/End when I hit?

Originally posted by Dust Raven

I'd just run it at a Two Levels Down on the Charges teble, like Recoverable Charges.

As far as Autofire goes....so long as the first hits, all charges used in the attack are used up, regardless of wether or not all actually hit.

Hey there Dust Raven!

I couldn't agree more on the Autofire aspect.

I can see the kind of "static shock" effect the original poster was asking about, but if you fire off a bunch of something, then you lose the charges if they miss.

KA

Originally posted by prestidigitator

An attack action to set up the triggered power (maybe even a non-attack action--I'm not sure, and may depend on the GM); an attack action for each attack until I hit. Does that sound bad, considering that I get two damage rolls and only expend a Charge/End when I hit?

It seems reasonably game-balanced, but may not fit the power that's being built (like Burnout's static shock power). Plus, I bet a lot of GMs wouldn't allow Trigger to be used that way. Myself, I'd have to review the specific instance before I allowed it.

-AA