New Campaign

Stone

I am trying to put together a new campaign. The idea is pretty much taken from the way psi's are treated on Earth in Babylon 5. So here it is....

Super powers have have only began emerging with in the last 20 years. The government immdiately began studying these "gifted" individuals and soon developed a serium that would suppress powers, but leave the person feeling empty inside. Each birth now includes a scan for potential abilities. If a positive response is found, then the parents are responsible for bringing the child in for regular "checkups" to see if the abilities are becoming active. If or when abilities become active, then there is a choice to be made. Take the weekly injections or come work for the government. Over the past 10 years the rise in suicides by persons on the injections has risen at an alarming rate. Now some are refusing to take injections and are on the run from the government.

...the PC's will get to chose which side they are on. Are they government enforcers or are they rebels standing up to the government. I am not sure if I want to use 350 pts to build the PC's. I am leaning more towards the old 250 pts. I welcome any suggestions any has on this idea.

Re: New Campaign

Originally posted by Stone

I am trying to put together a new campaign. The idea is pretty much taken from the way psi's are treated on Earth in Babylon 5. So here it is....

Super powers have have only began emerging with in the last 20 years. The government immdiately began studying these "gifted" individuals and soon developed a serium that would suppress powers, but leave the person feeling empty inside. Each birth now includes a scan for potential abilities. If a positive response is found, then the parents are responsible for bringing the child in for regular "checkups" to see if the abilities are becoming active. If or when abilities become active, then there is a choice to be made. Take the weekly injections or come work for the government. Over the past 10 years the rise in suicides by persons on the injections has risen at an alarming rate. Now some are refusing to take injections and are on the run from the government.

...the PC's will get to chose which side they are on. Are they government enforcers or are they rebels standing up to the government. I am not sure if I want to use 350 pts to build the PC's. I am leaning more towards the old 250 pts. I welcome any suggestions any has on this idea.

As a B5 fan I find the idea interesting.

I would start the players at 250 to give the government a chance to stop them with armored norms.

A.

How about...Twins/Triplets/etc have strange psionic synergy in this setting that the gov't doesn't know about. The injections don't quite work on them. (not all twins/etc) have powers, but the ones that do aren't as effected by the shots). Plus, if there is a set of twins where only one is getting the shots, the effect is even less due to this odd synergy.

ie 1) twin A and twin B. Both get shots. Both have X level of abilities.

2) Twin A gets shots, Twin B on the run and does not. A has X+Y level of ability, B has full power.

3) Neither A nor B gets shots. Both have full (perhaps even more extensive) powers.

Uses:

- people who don't know they had twins/lost contact (orphans, etc) start showing powers even while taking shots.

- twins "on the run" seek to drag their siblings into the resistance, partially to increase their own ability.

- lots of angst with one twin working for gov't, other one on the run. Once the gov't knows, will they still trust the twin? Are they a double agent?

- if the gov't finds out, what will their reaction be? Will they give twins stronger doses of the drug? Will they die from resulting overdose? Will it backfire and give them stronger powers?

I find this idea interesting.

If the government can detect the powers before they develop, with a "scan", then it must be happening on the genetic level.

What is causing these changes?

Why is it happening so quickly?

Is it a threat to the government?

You could go with the Marvel Mutant theme of "Rapid Evolution" (which I always disliked)

See if you can find the old comics, "D.P. 7". Its was part of Marvel's "New Universe line" a number of years ago. It dealt with a normal world suddenly changed when people got superpowers. The fun thing about it, all the people were very normal...just with powers.

Possible reasons for the change: (sorry, this theme interests me)

1) Aliens are manipulated humankind, for reasons of their own. Perhaps they want to destabilize the planet before an invasion (supervillains are very destabilizing). Or maybe another race is sending an invasion, and they are attempting to create a defense force for the planet? Perhaps they just want to "Serve Man"

Note: I like Alien Invsions.

2) Some kind of villain is responsible, an evil genius type. He is doing it as part of a complicated scheme to create an uber-army to destroy the world

3) Government accidently released some kind of agent (bio/nano/Energy X) into the environment. Faction of the government (ones responsible) is doing a cover up.

4) Similar to #2, but the Nazi's did it. They can be blamed for almost anything. If you are feeling creative, say the Japanese Biowarfare Corps did it, back in WWII

5) A psionic Alien spacecraft crashed on the moon 3 million years ago. Since that time, it has been trying to find a way to get repaired. Using its incredible psionic powers, it has been manipulating the evolution of the planet Earth, leading to the rise of mankind. Now its systems are getting close to failure, and it needs somoone to rescue it...so it has stepped up its mutation process.

Course, a lot depends on your players, and what they like.