Ballad of Ardor

AirborneRob

For a party buff that gives a +2OCV, +2DCV, and +1 to SPD, whats the best approach? At first blush AID seemed to be the way to go but im not looking for dice of effect for a CP allotment. Since this would also buff the caster, Transform is out. I thought about Characteristics with expanded effect but that applies only to Adjustment powers :confused:

Re: Ballad of Ardor

For a party buff that gives a +2OCV' date=' +2DCV, and +1 to SPD, whats the best approach? At first blush AID seemed to be the way to go but im not looking for dice of effect for a CP allotment. Since this would also buff the caster, Transform is out. I thought about Characteristics with expanded effect but that applies only to Adjustment powers :confused:[/quote']

You could use the Standard Effect rules to get around the variation of rolling dice.

Ballad of Ardor: Aid 3d6+1 (standard effect: 10 points), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4), Selective (+1/4), Expanded Effect (x3 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (OCV +2, DCV +2 and +1 SPD; +1) (50 Active Points)

OR

Ballad of Ardor: +2 OCV, +2 DCV and +1 SPD (30 character points of characteristics), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +3/4), Recipient must remain close to Grantor, Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (52 Active Points)

Two different approaches, similar price. The first means that the power costs END and that everyone has to be within 4m to get the benefit, but can then move further away and out of line of sight. The power granted fades at 5 points per turn (i.e. after 1 turn you lose 1 OCV and 1 DCV and after 2 you lose the rest and the SPD)

The second costs no END, works on people nearby (up to 10m) but they have to stay within that 10m radius to continue to feel the benefit. The power continues working until the target gets more than 10 metres from the grantor.

Pick and season to taste. Probably other ways to do it too, but that works reasonably well. Doubtless there will be all kinds of spell like limitations and, if I were GM, I'd want some time limit on the second version.

Ballad of Ardor: Aid 3d6+1 (standard effect: 10 points)' date=' Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4), Selective (+1/4), Expanded Effect (x3 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (OCV +2, DCV +2 and +1 SPD; +1) (50 Active Points)[/i']

OR

Ballad of Ardor: +2 OCV, +2 DCV and +1 SPD (30 character points of characteristics), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +3/4), Recipient must remain close to Grantor, Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (52 Active Points)

Two different approaches, similar price. The first means that the power costs END and that everyone has to be within 4m to get the benefit, but can then move further away and out of line of sight. The power granted fades at 5 points per turn (i.e. after 1 turn you lose 1 OCV and 1 DCV and after 2 you lose the rest and the SPD)

The second costs no END, works on people nearby (up to 10m) but they have to stay within that 10m radius to continue to feel the benefit. The power continues working until the target gets more than 10 metres from the grantor.

Pick and season to taste. Probably other ways to do it too, but that works reasonably well. Doubtless there will be all kinds of spell like limitations and, if I were GM, I'd want some time limit on the second version.

Yea, a time limit would be fair restriction. It's a fairly potent buff :)

Remember that effects on DCV are halved for Adjustment Powers, so you need 20 points of effect to add +2 DCV (or you'll need to drop that to +1 DCV). That means 7 dice of Standard Effect rather than 4, and 105 Active Points for Sean's build above. Alternately, you can split the points instead of using Expanded Effect. You'd need 10 for OCV, 20 for DCV, and 10 for Speed, for a total of 40 points of effect, or 14 dice of Standard Effect (13 if the GM is feeling nice and gives you an extra +1 point on 13 dice of Standard Effect that drop the average from 3.5 to 3, instead of requiring the whole extra die). That comes to 78-84 points. AoE/Selective will bring that up to--ouch!--a whopping 117-126 Active Points. Okay. Nevermind. Boy, Adjustment Powers still need some thinking out and, "adjusting." Heh.

Maybe go with UBO instead. :rolleyes:

Remember that effects on DCV are halved for Adjustment Powers' date=' so you need 20 points of effect to add +2 DCV (or you'll need to drop that to +1 DCV). That means 7 dice of Standard Effect rather than 4, and 105 Active Points for Sean's build above. Alternately, you can split the points instead of using [i']Expanded Effect[/i]. You'd need 10 for OCV, 20 for DCV, and 10 for Speed, for a total of 40 points of effect, or 14 dice of Standard Effect (13 if the GM is feeling nice and gives you an extra +1 point on 13 dice of Standard Effect that drop the average from 3.5 to 3, instead of requiring the whole extra die). That comes to 78-84 points. AoE/Selective will bring that up to--ouch!--a whopping 117-126 Active Points. Okay. Nevermind. Boy, Adjustment Powers still need some thinking out and, "adjusting." Heh.

Lol, yea, it's a concept buff for the character and paying that many points would be way over the top ;)

Oh. Hmm. If you're willing to take a few actions to get the full effect, you could get away with fewer dice and built up to Maximum Effect with a couple rolls rather than using Standard Effect. That would mean 3.5 dice for the Expanded Effect version (maybe that's what Sean was getting at) and 7 dice for the split version.

Oh. Hmm. If you're willing to take a few actions to get the full effect' date=' you could get away with fewer dice and built up to Maximum Effect with a couple rolls rather than using Standard Effect. That would mean 3.5 dice for the [i']Expanded Effect[/i] version (maybe that's what Sean was getting at) and 7 dice for the split version.

I am liking the second option Sean presented and putting a time limit on it for balance. At 52 points, it's looking good.

Remember that effects on DCV are halved for Adjustment Powers' date=' so you need 20 points of effect to add +2 DCV (or you'll need to drop that to +1 DCV). That means 7 dice of Standard Effect rather than 4, and 105 Active Points for Sean's build above. Alternately, you can split the points instead of using [i']Expanded Effect[/i]. You'd need 10 for OCV, 20 for DCV, and 10 for Speed, for a total of 40 points of effect, or 14 dice of Standard Effect (13 if the GM is feeling nice and gives you an extra +1 point on 13 dice of Standard Effect that drop the average from 3.5 to 3, instead of requiring the whole extra die). That comes to 78-84 points. AoE/Selective will bring that up to--ouch!--a whopping 117-126 Active Points. Okay. Nevermind. Boy, Adjustment Powers still need some thinking out and, "adjusting." Heh.

When you're right, you're right. I forgot all about that.

"adjusting". True.

Don't forget that +2 CV/+1 SPD is a powerful buff. Assuming the opposition had equal CVs, the PCs have gone from hitting or being hit 63% of the time, to hitting 84% of the time while only being hit 38% of the time, plus getting an extra Phase every Turn. If I may suggest something more modest:

Ballad of Ardor: +2 with All Attacks, Usable Nearby (+1) (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; singing; -1/2) (20 Real Points)

All party members within 4m of the caster get 2 CSLs with all combat to allocate as they see fit for as long as the bard sings. Note that this is tiring - the bard is spending 4 END/Phase, which should keep him from singing through the whole combat.

Don't forget that +2 CV/+1 SPD is a powerful buff. Assuming the opposition had equal CVs, the PCs have gone from hitting or being hit 63% of the time, to hitting 84% of the time while only being hit 38% of the time, plus getting an extra Phase every Turn. If I may suggest something more modest:

Ballad of Ardor: +2 with All Attacks, Usable Nearby (+1) (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; singing; -1/2) (20 Real Points)

All party members within 4m of the caster get 2 CSLs with all combat to allocate as they see fit for as long as the bard sings. Note that this is tiring - the bard is spending 4 END/Phase, which should keep him from singing through the whole combat.

I like the build, singing throughout is very appropriate. The only real trick is that we may end up with a party of 2, so singing throughout effectively eliminates 1 from the fight while he maintains the buff. If push comes to shove, i may just alter the overall buff. I may be trying to squeeze to much into one song.

I like the build' date=' singing throughout is very appropriate. The only real trick is that we may end up with a party of 2, so singing throughout effectively eliminates 1 from the fight while he maintains the buff. If push comes to shove, i may just alter the overall buff. I may be trying to squeeze to much into one song.[/quote']

Allocating Skill Levels is a 0-Phase action. The bard can still move and fight while singing (although taking damage may interrupt the song).

Allocating Skill Levels is a 0-Phase action. The bard can still move and fight while singing (although taking damage may interrupt the song).

Nice, i didn't know that. I thought once the singing started, you were comitted. I think i have found a happy middle ground. It's a slight tweak from Sean's recommendation early in the post, tell me what you think. +2 OCV, +2 DCV, +1 SPD ( 30 character points worth of Characteristics), Expanded effect ( OCV,DCV,SPD) +1, UOO ( Grantor can give power to one recipient, recipient must be within limited range for power to be granted) +1/2. With this, i lose the AoE effect, but i can keep the intended effect and then apply it one person at a time. Like i said, the group size will be small and having to cast it a couple of times is not a major issue for me. I still have to put the limitations on it, i just wanted to make sure the intended effect would fit within our 80 AP cap.

If you're building it as Characteristics UOO' date=' then you don't need Expanded Effect. That's only for Adjustment Powers.[/quote']

Yea, after I posted that i knew I erred. I took a long look and came up with +2 OCV, +2 DCV, +1 SPD ( 30 character points of characteristics), UOO ( Affects up to 4 recipients +3/4, Recipient must be within limited range of Grantor for power to be Granted +1/4, recipient must remain within line of sight of Grantor -1/4 ), Requires singing throughout -1/4. I started on the basic multipower and already have incantations -1/4 which is why i left singing throughout at a -1/4. Lol, very similar to Seans post, hope i got it right this time :)