Exotic Force Walls

Fryguy

5ed question. If I buy a normal Force Wall with PD/ED and I take an attack from an RKA based on ECV does that mean the Force Wall will go down if I haven't bought it Transparent to Mental Attacks? Does this hold true for other exotic attacks like Flash or Adjustment powers? What is the benefit of buying a Force Wall transparent to Flash or Power Defense attacks (5ed pg 182)?

Re: Exotic Force Walls

IIRC, a Force Wall with PD/ED is transparent to exotic attacks by default, and a Force Wall with only exotic defenses is transparent to normal attacks (PD/ED) by default. However, a Force Wall against Mental Defense needs to be Transparent to Power and Flash attacks.

5ER Page 180, under "Damage Transparency".

Force Walls that only provide "regular" defenses (PD and/or ED) are automatically Transparent to damage from attacks which apply to Mental Defense, Flash Defense, or Power Defense. Force Walls that provide only Mental Defense, Flash Defense, and/or Power Defense are automatically Transparent to Physical and Energy damage. ... Force Walls that provide both a "regular" and an "exotic" defense can be destroyed by any type of attack (but can, of course, be bought Transparent).

P.S. Even if you don't have Revised 5E I'm pretty sure it's in there. The description of Force Wall is 3 pages long. You may of simply not read far enough. The bold subheading are generally a good place to start if you can't find something.

I think it depends on what sort of damage the attack does. If it does mental damage, well, the attack ignores the FW for the reason BigbyWolfe gave. If it attacks using ECV but works against normal resistant defences (depending on how it is built) then the FW gets its normal defence.