Range modifier question.

Mathew

Re: Range modifier question.

I don't think there is a published chart that goes that high but a few conversions make it easy enough to figure up.

Using:

http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/miles-to-kilometers.htm

30 mi. = 48.2803 km or 48280.3 meters

then take that number to a powers of 2 table:

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/computer/powers-of-2.htm

(I'm sure there are better ones than this, it's just the first one I found)

I think that range works out to about -27 or -29

From a character building perspective I would strongly consider alternatives like a Naked Megascale Advantage on Normal Sight or Clairsentience for negating penalties of such a distance.

This is how I built my 6e Superman's Telescopic Vision:

30 Telescopic Vision: Clairsentience (Sight Group), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 24m per Phase), MegaScale (1m = 1 km; +1) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Limited Power Not in the presence of Kryptonite or red solar radiation (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)
Note that by using Clairsentience (a Standard Power) instead of Telescopic Sense (a Special Power) it becomes legal to include this build as part of a framework like a Multipower or VPP.

The build still includes the traditional Telescopic ability but at a much lower level than would otherwise be useful at the range of your question:

5 .............. 1) +2 PER with all Sense Groups; Limited Power Not in the presence of Kryptonite or red solar radiation (-¼)

7 Telescopic 2) +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group and Hearing Group; Requires A Roll (Characteristic roll; INT roll; -½), Limited Power Not in the presence of Kryptonite or red solar radiation (-¼)

Re: Range modifier question.

Let's see 30 miles is about 24,140 inches:

adjacent to 4 inches away: +0

up uo 5-8 inches away: -02 OCV

-16: -4

-32: -6

-64: -8

-128: -10

-256: -12

-512: -14

-1,024: -16

-2,048: -18

-4,096: -20

-8,192: -22

-16,384: -24

16,385 to 32,768 inches away (65.6km or 40.7 miles): -26 OCV

So something 30 miles away -26 OCV to hit/sense.

I was actually working on a radar warning system for a vehicle, whose maximum range was 30 miles, so technically that's the maximum of it's sensing range. I'd say you still have a small chance of sensing something if it's up to -8 OCV, so at max range have to be +18 OCV to even have a chance of sensing something that's -26 to sense. So I'd probably buy +18 telescopic sense on the radio group to increase the radar sense, right? 27 points, but-1 disadvantage for OIF Bulky. 13 real points to increase the radar range.