Power Framework inquiry

tcabril

I spent some time and read and re-read the rules on Multipower w/in the Power Frameworks chapter.

I understand how to build a Multipower with FIXED and VARIABLE slots but I am not sure why one would choose to build a Multipower with Variable slots? Am I missing something?

The rules state that one can use a Fixed slot at less than its total Active Point allotment and one can do this in the Variable slot as well so I see no significant benifit for the doubling of point cost for a variable slot.

Can someone please let me know what I am missing?

Thanks

Todd

Re: Power Framework inquiry

Fixed slots, regardless of what power level you choose the ability at, always has the full points required for it pulled from the pool.

If you have a 15d6 Blast in a fixed slot and you choose to use it at 2d6, the full cost for the 15 is assigned to that slot. Whereas with a variable slot, you can just assign the 10 points that would be needed for the 2d6.

Thanks I get that but I still see no advantage to it. Unless (and dawn could be rising on marblehead...) does this mean that if I have a mutltipower with a reserve of 60 pts and 3 VARIBALE slots as long as the total usage (i.e. sume of the pts of each variable slot) does not exceed 60 I could use all in one phase? But with Fixed slots its that slot or another but not at the same time?

You have 100 point reserve with 3 50 point fixed slot powers. You can, within one phase, use any two of the powers.

Now if the slots were variable, you could divide the 100 points any way within the 3 slots, so long as you 1) don't expend more than the 100 base points, and 2) none of the slots can exceed the 50 points.