Encyclopedic General Knowledge

baronspam

Re: Encyclopedic General Knowledge

Its massive blocks of text like the one above to represent otherwise simple effects that has increasingly led me to avoid genres that can't be run without the powers section; and minimize my use of said section as much as possible. If I can't represent an ability in one sentence or less' date=' or have to do mental gymnastics to represent an otherwise straight-forward shtick, there is something desperately wrong.[/quote']

It is nothing wrong with the genre or the system. It just that you sometimes try to make something and go for the completely wrong way (the kind of wrong way, where you aimed for the ocean floor and land in the desert-dimension).

Thats the reason it is so important to describe the effect and let others do the thinking about. That way you might get someone who just realises that the entire concept of "Save Game", can be boiled down to a use the power "precognition".

Kind of how Programming forums work: You toss in a problem and someone points out a solution that is so unbelievable simple (from your piont of view before you got that solution), you ask yourself where your brain was on vaccation the last 1-24 hours, why it didn't told you and especially why you didn't noticed.

Re: Encyclopedic General Knowledge

I usually just default to "KS: General Encyclopedic Knowledge 30-". Even with penalties, you should still be able to come up with some useful information pretty regularly.

Or, if you are playing at home, you can have the GM just let you grab your handy encyclopedia set and look things up... :D

Was going to suggest something like this as Mechanon in Galactic Champions has "KS: Everything 50-"