Mook/Armor combo

Hey all! I'm kinda new to the system but I had an idea and I need some help building it.

Imagine the effect being a suit of armor that is composed of one or more independent drones/mooks. The person wearing the armor sheds his defensive suit, but gains a temporary ally.

In game terms, I was thinking it would be somewhat like linking a single charge summon ability to X levels of damage reduction/negation. The end result being that you'd have one or the other in effect, but not both.

Any ideas?

Re: Mook/Armor combo

Put the Defenses in a multipower with a Summon which would have a limitation that sent that Summoed being "away" when the slots were shifted?

Alternatively, give the Character a multiform one with the Follower, the other with extra Defenses with a Limitation to reflect that Follower has to be close/in contact with him to change back to the armoroed form?

A Multipower with a custom "non-Instant" limitation on the Summon (which I would put at -1/2) seems appropriate. Or alternately, just build both separately and give the Armor a "not while Summon is active" limitation (somewhere in the -1/2 to -1 range, IMO).

So for example:

33 Drone Swarm: Multipower (50p), all slots OIF (-1/2)

3u Armor Mode: Resistant Protection (16 PD, 16 ED)

2u Coherent Swarm: Summon 125-point Drone Swarm, Totally Devoted (+1), Non-Instant (-1/2)

2u Dispersed Swarm: Summon 16x 25-point Drones, Totally Devoted (+1), Non-Instant (-1/2)

Alternate method:

Buy the drones as followers, and give them this power:

Armor Interlock - Resistant Protection (# PD, # ED), Usable By Other, Concentration (total, throughout); plus Clinging

So any or all of the drones can attach to you and give up their actions (total concentration) to provide you with a defense bonus.

Duplication might work better?

I too think Summon is better here. If a duplicate dies, it's lost for ever. If a Summon dies, the next time the enemy has it again. It is more expensive (Totally Devoted), but then again you get a totally Devoted Replaceable Sheet.

What the best build is depends on how many Drones are there, what are their point totals (25? 100?) and how granually you want the seperation to be.

When there is only one Drone, or the Transformation is all or Nothing, then a Alterante form with Automaton Followers might be easier to build (one Form some Armor + Drones; one Form Full Armor). Maybe Limitation / Physical Complication to prevent the switch back when he is not complete.

When there are multiple different Drones (inlcuding build on different Points), this can be really difficulty to build when you want partial Seperation Possible (for this, the Armor Interlock aproach might be best; this even works with non defense powers Like blasts).

The APG has some considerations on how to Build things based on Combination (yes, there are official rules to remake the Power Rangers).