GM question

Doc Samson

Hi all. In our games, we have a house rule that "you must attend combats". What that means is that we usually don't allow combinations that allow a character to attack freely without being attacked back. Examples of banned combination in our game include (but are not limited to):

- Mind Scan with other Mental Powers

- Desolidification with Affects Physical World

- Extra-Dimensional Movement with Transdimensional

- Tunneling with Indirect

- Increased Maximum Range with No Range Modifier

My question is for GMs who use a similar house rule. Would you allow a character who has Desolidification, Doesn’t Protect Against Damage (-1) plus STR, Affects Physical World (+2)? The SFX is that the character can move through solid matter as if it were liquid but this does not provide him any additional protection from attacks.

It is a potent but expensive build I think. Is this a reasonable combination or is there something I am missing? Thank in advance for your input.

Re: GM question

Seems reasonable to me, provided it follows the Desolid for Defense only set up/and or rules. You often see a lot of Desolid show up as a form of block in Martial Arts builds for example, but there always is a way around it, other then just "Affects Desolid" (usually it's something as simple as an Analyze Style roll. Another variant of that same kinda genre build is one of my favorites; it only works against a certain class of attacks (ie: The Martial Arts Desolid Build power that's basically just a block, against attacks not normally blockable like the ever present AOE, and even That's tied to a pile of requirements, can be gotten around, and is only usable against a few things.

So a Liquid guy, basically just doing what Hydroman or a few other "liquid" comic characters I can think of or characters that have a similar schtick, wanting to use that build. Not unreasonable in my book but then I also allow all the things you already nixed above. :D

~Rex

- Mind Scan with other Mental Powers

- Desolidification with Affects Physical World

- Extra-Dimensional Movement with Transdimensional

- Tunneling with Indirect

- Increased Maximum Range with No Range Modifier

It is okay if you forbid that, but it would be better if you found a way to use the weaknesses in that plan:

Have enemys with the right Attack to counter Desolid. Preferebly Strong KB/Martial throw powers (so he flies throug the wall and has to walk back).

Only allow the EMD dimension when there are fitting Critters there, so better watch your back

Minds Scan and Other special Senses needed to target from your Hiding place, could need the Concentration Limitation. And of course the enemys are intelligent enough to use the fact that you are allone.

Especially your nemesis could have the ability to always detect and attack you while you use that maneuver. And he only waits for the Moment when you are out of your allies range.:eg:

My question is for GMs who use a similar house rule. Would you allow a character who has Desolidification, Doesn’t Protect Against Damage (-1) plus STR, Affects Physical World (+2)? The SFX is that the character can move through solid matter as if it were liquid but this does not prove him any additional protection from attacks.

It is a potent but expensive build I think. Is this a reasonable combination or is there something I am missing?

Tunneling, Fill In, IPE could also do this and has less side effects. Otherwise, this is just a variant of the Tunneling with Indirect.

I think it's totally fine' date=' so long as he doesn't plan on sitting inside objects, attacking out, and claiming DEF from the object. IDK what happend with indirect tunneling, but I'll assume it was a bad experience.[/quote']

Your example is exactly why we banned it.

Seems reasonable to me, provided it follows the Desolid for Defense only set up/and or rules. You often see a lot of Desolid show up as a form of block in Martial Arts builds for example, but there always is a way around it, other then just "Affects Desolid" (usually it's something as simple as an Analyze Style roll. Another variant of that same kinda genre build is one of my favorites; it only works against a certain class of attacks (ie: The Martial Arts Desolid Build power that's basically just a block, against attacks not normally blockable like the ever present AOE, and even That's tied to a pile of requirements, can be gotten around, and is only usable against a few things.

So a Liquid guy, basically just doing what Hydroman or a few other "liquid" comic characters I can think of or characters that have a similar schtick, wanting to use that build. Not unreasonable in my book but then I also allow all the things you already nixed above. :D

~Rex

Thank you.

It is okay if you forbid that, but it would be better if you found a way to use the weaknesses in that plan:

Have enemys with the right Attack to counter Desolid. Preferebly Strong KB/Martial throw powers (so he flies throug the wall and has to walk back).

Only allow the EMD dimension when there are fitting Critters there, so better watch your back

Minds Scan and Other special Senses needed to target from your Hiding place, could need the Concentration Limitation. And of course the enemys are intelligent enough to use the fact that you are allone.

Especially your nemesis could have the ability to always detect and attack you while you use that maneuver. And he only waits for the Moment when you are out of your allies range.:eg:

Tunneling, Fill In, IPE could also do this and has less side effects. Otherwise, this is just a variant of the Tunneling with Indirect.

I agree. We would allow Mind Scan in an attack MP for example. We just don't like a character staying back at base and knocking out all the villains from miles away. Tunneling with melee attacks is not a problem as the character is vulnerable when he attacks. Tunneling with a ranged indirect attack (or a mental attack), however, is very difficult for many types of villains to deal with. Tunneling may actually be a better way to build this power.

I don't see an issue with the build.

He's using STR, so hiding in objects is not practical when attacking. Even if he used a ranged attack, I would certainly rule the object blocks it.

If anything, it's likely to be too expensive. So he can move through solid objects and attack. So can a character with Desolid and no attacks that Affect the solid world - move through, solidify and attack.

If there is a concern, I'd be inclined to make it clear to the player that characters will be expected to be in the combat, exposed to counterattack. Any structure that allows attacking without risk of retaliation will be removed/banned. As long as the player abides by that restriction, I don't see an issue.

I would not see an issue if he were immune to Physical or Energy damage (but not both), for that matter. Then the +2 advantage would be mandated, but he's not immune to counterattack.

I don't see an issue with the build.

He's using STR, so hiding in objects is not practical when attacking. Even if he used a ranged attack, I would certainly rule the object blocks it.

If anything, it's likely to be too expensive. So he can move through solid objects and attack. So can a character with Desolid and no attacks that Affect the solid world - move through, solidify and attack.

If there is a concern, I'd be inclined to make it clear to the player that characters will be expected to be in the combat, exposed to counterattack. Any structure that allows attacking without risk of retaliation will be removed/banned. As long as the player abides by that restriction, I don't see an issue.

I would not see an issue if he were immune to Physical or Energy damage (but not both), for that matter. Then the +2 advantage would be mandated, but he's not immune to counterattack.

Makes sense to me. Thanks all.