Character with an external respirator

TheNaga

How do I go about making a pc who has to have external respirator to survive? My drawing of his helmet which has the respirator built into it (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/helmetl.jpg/). What other things should his helmet have?

Right now the reason he wears the helmet is as follows. in a battle with the vampire that turned his mother into a vampire, the vampire struck a serious blow to his lungs with its sword. This in turn causes his lungs to become collapsed which lead to his needing mechanical assistance to breathe. What would say if he has a cybernetic right arm? I want to keep the character as a original as I can not become something of a Darth Vader or Kabal (Mortal Kombat) clone.

Cybernetic Arm: +10 STR (10 Active Points); Only When Using The Right Arm (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4)

This is what I have so far on the character.

Helmet Rebreather: Life Support (Expanded Breathing)

Helmet: Nightvision, Telescopic: +6

Helmet: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points)

Dependence: helmet/internal life support mechanisms Takes 2d6 Damage (Easy To Obtain; 1 Segment)

Re: Character with an external respirator

Well, it is normal for the PC to breaht in one extremly common atmosphere, at player choice (but oxigen is usually the only extremely common). He can breath in less, unless he has his mask. So I say a Succeptibility "When mask not there", with the effects of being identical to drowning.

Also consider adding Immunity to Poison and Disease - when he is already seriously injured in the lung, the last thing he needs is a cough, so it should have filters to prevent that. Note that while holding your breath with expanded breathing, you still can't take recoveries. For limited air supply tanks, better use "Self Contained breathing" on a Fuel Charge.

Other defenses, from the Champions 6E book for headwear:

UV, IR and X-Ray sight, Solid Ear Covers (Hearing Flash Defense), Psionic Shielding (Mental Defense).

About the arm:

You could also armor it, with the following in game effects:

- Bonus ED/PD, limited. The exact value for the limitation is the question. Extra Armor for Foci is at -2, this could be a guideline here. I once cinsdered an really indestrubtible/unconductive arm: Telekinesis, Fine Manipulation, Inhehert, Always direct, Passes Trhough Spac, Can be grabbed and Entangeled, No Range - absolute immune to all Damage shields and even direct attacks.

- it could be used as a limited shield: Usually rED/rPD, Activation Roll or as basis for a less strongly limited combat luck (i.e. it could affect AOE's). Also, Bonus to Block to offset the penalty for not having a weapon.

- that could also add Bonus HTH damage, since it's effectively a armored punch.

I got the following froma conversion of Darth Vader.

I really like the idea of the helmet filtering out pisons and disease. How do i give the helmet a built-in radio receiver & transmitter? How would I give the arm a weapons built into the exterior of the arm? If it is not to much i was thinking the weapon is fires a particle beam or is plasma ejector.

The thing about him is I have lately thought of him being a dhampir.

I got the following froma conversion of Darth Vader.

Like I said, each one has it's upside and downsides.

How do i give the helmet a built-in radio receiver & transmitter?

Just buy the Radio Perception/HRRP/Mind linke, affected as radio and hearing and apply the same Limitation as for the other things in the Helmet.

How would I give the arm a weapons built into the exterior of the arm?

Blast or RKA, Restrainable. That his comes from an "build in laser gun" instead of "projecting plasma" is really only SFX - and different limitation values.

If it is not to much i was thinking the weapon is fires a particle beam or is plasma ejector.

The Only questions: Is that an Ranged Killing Attack, normal Attack, or multisetting gun (Multipower). What advantages should it have? Lase Gun, a Magic Missile, a Lightnign Spell, a build in Pulson blaster - all the same thing for Hero, only in Limitations they differ.

darthvaderwallpaper.jpg

The emperor has foreseen, comparisons WILL be made...

You know the powers you want, just add them up, and apply the Obvious Inaccessible Focus (-1/2) to them and move on.

I would not buy the arm as restrainable. Cybernetics shouldn't have either a focus or restainable as they are attached/implented and not easily removed.

I would not buy the arm as restrainable. Cybernetics shouldn't have either a focus or restainable as they are attached/implented and not easily removed.

Maybe the STR not, but an implantet blaster is easier to restrain than ep-powers. At -1/4 for being suceptible to entangles (where a EP-Blast would not be).

I could play Darth Vader though the conversion in the link below make need some work. At one point in the creation of the drawing of his helemt involved a picture of Darth Vader from IIRC Time Magazine. I know the picture of Darth Vader I used was on a famous non Sci-Fi Magazine.

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsmovie/starwars/darthvader.html

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think of his helmet? I know the amount of Active Points may not be right.

Helmet: Multipower, 92-point reserve, (92 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

3f 1) Armor: Resistant Protection (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points)

1f 2) Psionic Shielding : Mental Defense (6 points total) (6 Active Points)

1f 3) Breathing System: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points)

1f 4) Sight Group Flash Defense (6 points) (6 Active Points)

1f 5) Image Enhancement: Nightvision, Telescopic: +6 (8 Active Points)

1f 6) Air Filters: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases) (10 Active Points)

2f 7) Radio Systems: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Telescopic: +10, Tracking (25 Active Points)

1f 8) Hardened Systems: Power Defense (10 points), Conditional Power Electro-Magnetic Attacks Only (-0) (10 Active Points)

Armor:

Is that supposed to be only Head/Neck Region?

Radio Systems:

Sensory powers are Special Powers and thus normally not allowed in Frameworks.

Why the Telescopic +10 and Tracking?

Hardened Systems:

Is that protecting the Mask/head only, or does it protect the person as whole?

What is this with the "Comditional Power"? Perhaps what you wanted here was "Only vs. Electronics SFX".

Multipower at whole:

Why did you choose a MP? The math sounds like a loss.

Usually you can apply the OIF to every slot too. If you made this with Herodesginer, look for something named like "All Slots OIF".

The powers are built in to the helmet is why I choose a MP. The Harden Systems protects the helmet. Where would I find All Slots OIF? Should I do something else besides Telescopic +10 and Tracking? What should to to make it better? I was looking at this for some ideas. http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscomic/marvel/ironman.html

Multipower is what you make when you have to choose between powers. I.e. you can't use them all at once. This is not what was done in the Write ups. Apparently Hero Designer has some way to "Group" Powers with similar limitations/belonging to the same item. My best bet is a big compund power (has the advanagte of getting the AP up, wich is good for the durability of the item). But better ask in the Forum for the Hero-Designer what they did there.

No Idea where to Find "All Slots X" things, I don't have the designer myself. You could just make it a custom Limitation Named "All Slots OIF (Helmet; -1/2)" and apply OIF to everythign per hand, but I doubt that was doen there. Again - ask in the Hero Designer Forum area.

I have no Idea why there is even Telescopic and Tracking on the Radio Perception, but I thought you wanted to make something specific with it. I think you can just leave it out to begin with.

One thing about the Focus: Consider defining it as Durable Focus. After all loosing it can be really dangerous.

Also you have not answered if the Armor and Power Defense is only for the Head, or the entire Body? Because if that is the chase, we could apply limitatiosn to it. When this is even only to protect the Focus (not the character itself), there this can go down to a -2 Limitation.

Ther armor is for the helmet which covers his head.

If it only is there to protect the helmet from Damage, you can apply a -2 Limitation (as written in the Focus Rules).

If it protects all his Foci, but not himself I think it is a -1 (have to research it).

If it is armor that protects his head, it is perhaps sectional defense. According to the Armor Coverage Table (6E2 212) a "Full Helmet" is a -3/4 Limitation and protects Hit Locations 3-5 (in games with Hit Location Rule in effect) or has a activation roll of 12- (for games without hit location, like most Superheroic).

• 3 weeks later...

Also what book(s) have cybernetics/bionics in them for 6th edition Champions?

Cyberntics is just the special effect for a power. Nothing else. The same way Symbionts, Supersoldier Serums, Gamma based Mutations, being a Kryptonian, being a Martian or Magical Transformation on the word Shazam! are just SFX's for having a certain value or certain power.

• 3 weeks later...

How much protection from damage should a Refrigeration Suit offer? Right now I have it have along with the helment PD 10/ED 10. What about giving him a jet pack?

What abilities besides protection from cold could he have as bieng alien from an Ice Planet? What aliens are from ice planets if any in Champions and Star Heroes?

• 1 month later...

Would he need something like what is listed in the following info on Darth Vader? If I remember correctly Kabal has something his back as well that might help him with breathing. If I do need the character to have then what effects on game play would it have?

Vader's helmet was the center of the life-support system. It was fitted with an air pump, which was connected to a flat filter system worn on Vader's back. Together, the backpack and the air pump continuously cycled purified air through Vader's ravaged lungs.