Younger PCs; Older Players

Vondy

Guest steamteck

Re: Younger PCs; Older Players

I don't play much but I prefer veteran characters and did even when I was back in college. My group in general runs the range of age for their characters. the players themselves are now all in their 50s. The minimum seems to be early 20s but themost popular is the extended lifespan really veteran veteran who has had more than a normal person's span of adventue. To be fair, we've palyed some so long they gone from raw recruit to uberveteran status but veteran characters with reduced or no aging are very popular with my group.

My wife tried to play a teen character recently and she only lasted 3 sessions. She played her quite well but didn't enjoyher as much.

Just an application of the general rule "Know your audience".

Books will tend to appeal to their target demographic.

You now fit into a different demographic; either adjust your expectations, or adjust your reading preferences.

In the context of a RPGs you have a third option; adjust the material itself to suit your preferences. Win-win.

It occurs to me that another way of introducing inexperienced heroes is to introduce older, experienced people whose developed expertise isn't traditional "heroing" expertise. It could still be useful, but they wouldn't necessarily be hardened heroes at the outset.

• 2 weeks later...

The game I am playing these days is mostly a 40's/50's crowd. Our characters (superpowerful 600 point characters when initially built, now with 100+ XP to boot) include 200 year old sorceress, a 400 year old vampire, and a 15 trillion year old remnant of a dead god (my character, yes, he's seen many universes come and go, and fortunately doesn't remember most of it).

A few months ago, the GM got a new job that was taking a lot of mental energy so I took over GMing for a few months (ongoing). Not wanting to get too heavily GM involved with the campaign I was playing in, I conspired to have them intercepted enroute through a Tport gate by a summoning from an extremely powerful wizard in another world, a summon that went rather wrong as the wizard who was summoning them was under attack at the same time. So the characters popped into the world as the 12/13 year olds their characters 'were' back when they were 12/13, built on zero points (+25 points of complications). They are getting triple XP while I am GMing based on the idea that they are effectively buying their adult characters back.

We are getting the extremes of both worlds and loving both.