Poisons

whitekeys

In a campaign setting where poisons are not very common, and using them on enemies, or having them used on you, is very rare, would it be reasonable to assume that poisons built with specific Powers (such as Drain) could still be resisted by making a CON check? At least the type of poison whose usual intent is to kill, being used as a plot device, or a drama magnet.

If so, then what do you think of the next two powers.. (ignore cost calculation please)

Detoxify Poison:+2 CON, Cumulative (x8 Maximum amount; +1¼)(4 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-½), Concentration (-¼), Extra Time (1 Day; -4)(1 Real Point)

This character has the ability to meditate in order to purge his body of disease, poison, and other ill-effects. Costs Endurance converts and otherwise Persistent power into a Constant power. Cumulative might be iffy, but the gist is that the longer he the longer he concentrates, the more likely he is to ward of the effects (raising his CON and getting the opportunity to reroll Success)

Detoxify Poison: Healing (BODY) 1d6, Expanded Effect (x3; +1), Variable Effect (Poisons, +½)(25 Active Points); Concentration (Half DCV; -¼), Extra time (1 Minute; -1½), Only Works on Poisons (-2)(5 Real Points)

This one is obviously more suitable to something like "healing the effects of poison", but it lacks the epic imagery of a struggle between the character and impending doom. This power could represent anything really, a healing spell, an antidote, etc.

Re: Poisons

I think you'd need to use a different construct for the first one. A Characteristic, whether it is bought straight or, "as a Power," is a Characteristic, not an effect. There's no effect roll to make cumulative, so the Cumulative Advantage doesn't apply. I think instead you are going to want to buy something like +16 Con or 3d6 Aid to Con and apply Limitations if you want it to take effect slower than normal. Also, I wouldn't assume poisons will allow some kind of Con check; this is the kind of thing you'll want to check with your GM on (or think about carefully if you are creating the game and/or setting yourself).

The second one looks fine to me.

The "book" way to Build a Poision is "NND (Blocked by Appropirate Life Support Poision Immunity)".

Some campaings use AVAD (Power Defense) for all poision instead.

When you want poision to work based on CON, you could of course define that Poision are AVAD's (Defended by CON).

And the option to Add Damage Over Time or Uncontrolled is always there.

But for most part what you want to ask is: "GM, how are poision handeled in our Campaing?".

Yes, quite true. That's one that's built into certain Powers in the system. On the other end of the spectrum would be Transform, which was initially designed around the idea that if it's just as easy to kill someone, you might as well have a more or less "permanent" effect on them. It's interesting to contemplate being able to start with one of those approaches and nudge it incrementally toward the other. Maybe for 7e a more consistent basis could be derived. ;)

My only comment would be that poisons are very difficult to model, especially if you want them to be both realistic, and keep the active point cost down. Some poisons may indeed be "resisted by a strong constitution" while others will kill even the toughest, healthiest of men. As usual, dramatic and common sense apply.

while others will kill even the toughest' date=' healthiest of men. As usual, dramatic and common sense apply.[/quote']

Most neurotoxins simply ingore your constitution - they just attack the rather weak nervous-system and the only question is how much bodymass you have.

And frankly, HERO is strong in the Area of Cinematic realism, in wich characters can oft just ignore Poisions or are killed/disabled outright with no apparent long term effects.

I'm currently working on a Jedi campaign, and I was envisioning this being a Jedi power, in whgich they... I dunno, use "the force" to detoxify themselves, lol. Does that change anything? The sort of realism that people have mentioned kind of goes out the window with the Star Wars setting.

I'm currently working on a Jedi campaign' date=' and I was envisioning this being a Jedi power, in whgich they... I dunno, use "the force" to detoxify themselves, lol. Does that change anything? The sort of realism that people have mentioned kind of goes out the window with the Star Wars setting.[/quote']

Depends on how Poision are build:

If they are Effect-NND, with some sort of Continous/Damage over Time/Lasting Charges, then giving your self the 1 Point Life Support (Immune to Poision X) plus a form of Healing (to negate whatever effect it already had).

You first need to tell us how Poisions work in your campaign.