Power Use for Entangle/Barrier between 5E and 6E

Dr Divago

Hi all

in my 5E low-powered superhero campaign, a PC got the ability to create ice block both to form barrier and to entangle enemies (both are use of Entangle in 5E)

he also bought Power Use with the power to create complex "sculpture"; he never used it to anything really useful (he could create a wall with ornate battlements, or just a little item like an ice bed, a sedan chair or a walking crane, an ornate sculpture etc (but sometime it requires times and several rolls)

i always thought that if i can build a wall 2m high and 10m long i can also create a little block of ice, and then sculpt it with power use skill roll

if i will upgrade to 6E (still thinking about it), Entangle and Barrier will be splitted in 2 different powers. So i'll need to force him to buy Power Use for only one of them or he could use it for both? he could still use it to create little not-really-useful items?

second question:

he could use Power Use skill to form a crowbar to open a door, or a jack to lift a car/pile of debris to free someone from inside it?

and if in 6E wich powers he need to use to create this useful piece of ice? Entangle or Barrier?

(i'm asking this 'cause in an adventure i'm planning he could use it to help some injured innocents civilians, and i whant to know if he could or not to build the situation according to his capabilities)

ty for you help as usual :)

Re: Power Use for Entangle/Barrier between 5E and 6E

The Barrier would be the power to adjust, since Entangle does not create barriers in 6e. You could put the powers in a Multipower with Unified Power on both (and all the other Multipower slots, as well as other Ice powers, if desired).

I don't see an issue with creating a useful object out of Ice and a power use roll (or a modifier of some sort). Was there a "create object" power in APG?

Most "Create Object" stuff in 6E is a Major Transform, "Nothing" into "Something" basically.

I let the stoneshaper in my current FH campaign use power rolls on barrier to make anything more than just a lump of stone, then transform to make anything permanent / intricate. The permanent thing is questionable as well; to be honest, I am not sure if barrier would create a permanent wall by default, or how things like having it in a multipower would affect the permanency.

Barrier is Instant like Blast, IIRC. So the walls it creates last until destroyed, regardless of whether the power is switched/drained/whatever.

While Transform is the primary way to create things, Barrier also does create actual objects, just limited in how detailed they can be.

I'd still call it a single instance of the Power Skill personally. It might also be appropriate to put the Barrier and Entangle powers in a Multipower or use the Unified Power Limitation' date=' of course.[/quote']

That almost sounds as if in 5E, you had to buy the Power Skill for each power seperately.

All I can say that certain "one-time" effects could just be done with a Power Roll and you have only one Power Skill for all your Ice Powers (you can use this one for required Rolls and Rolls to change the VPP, but you can always use it for one-time effects). APG 39 even has some very good ideas what the GM could allow with a Power roll, but absolute freedom can only be archieved by using a Variable Power Pool (VPP). And the later (in the 6E version) is what I can only advise for everyone with shaper (as opposed to Blaster/EP) in his shtick description.

Another question of course is the quality of ones work. Everybody can hit stone with a pickaxe, but you need skill (PS: Sculturing) if you want to make something people consider art.