The Supervillain game: Have you done it and how did it go?

phoenix240

Re: The Supervillain game: Have you done it and how did it go?

Never done it...never seemed interesting to me. I always thought it was an idea for players who just like smashing things rather than really having to roleplay. It's much easier to be a villain than to be a hero. You don't have to follow any rules or care about consequences of your actions.

I could be wrong.

Anybody try it and like it?

--Kap

Switching the question a little, I think one of the problems with a supervillain game would lay in the fact that Superheroes are pretty reactive. Criminals act and they do something about it. Villains are proactive, they have plans and enact them. This would require the GM to prepare the world in more detail in advance according to the desires of the PC. There would also be a risk of things getting repetitive "bank robbery of the week" if the Player characters didn't have some higher order goals. So it might be a good idea for the "team" to be constructed as a group and with some motivation beyond get rich quick: revenge, some political ideology, etc. Something that would hold them together and give the campaign some direction.

I've run a couple, and they can be fun with the right group of players. The biggest problem about a villain campaign si giving the PCs a reason to team up and stay together. I would recommend having each player coem up with his character's superhero nemesis, and then announcing that all those heroes have just formed a tightly-knit group. Gives the villains incentive to do the same. Safety in numbers and all that.

I've run a couple' date=' and they can be fun with the right group of players. The biggest problem about a villain campaign si giving the PCs a reason to team up and stay together. I would recommend having each player coem up with his character's superhero nemesis, and then announcing that all those heroes have just formed a tightly-knit group. Gives the villains incentive to do the same. Safety in numbers and all that.[/quote']

Yeah, a "revenge squad" might work too. Give all the PCs one superheroic nemesis, a superman type, that's thwarted/wronged them before but now, together they can destroy him/her!

I played in a villain-based game for a few sessions. It worked out OK. I don't remember much about the sessions except that a fight would break out amongst some of the more unbalanced bad guys after the crime, which fit the concept. I also recall getting a bonus XP for introducing the GM to the phrase "Enlightened Self-Interest". He loved that.

We were supposed to end up in a winner take all fight with the super-hero team he was also running, but it didn't happen.