Card Captor Sakura HERO

Michael Hopcroft

Is there a website out there with good 5th Edition writeups of the various characters from Card Captor Sakura? The original series is about to finish its run on DVD, with the final three episodes released the second week in November and the final mvoie a week later. The manga run has already been completed.

I know someone did a her write-up of Sakura and it's on the web somewhere -- I just can't remember where. But there are so many other characters besides Sakura worthy of writeups and attention, from Li Syaoran and Eriol Hiiragazawa to Yukito/Yue, keroeberos, Tomoyo daidouji, Touya (fascinating character before before and afetr he makes his great sacrifice), and Kaho Mizuki-sensei (who is universally loathed by almost every CCS fan I know).

Writing up Sakura's cards is an interesting exercise as well, but there are many other interesting magic things in the series, like Syoran's ofuda-based spellcasting and Eriol's effortless control of the very essence of magic. Even though Tomyo is so relatively powerless she might qualoify as a DNPC, she plays a vital role in the story and is a fascinating, complex character. It is a subject of much fannish dispute whether she will ever transfer her obsession with Sakura to someone else of either gender.

I wrote one up, and gave it to Michael Surbrook for "Surbrook's Stuff". Here's the URL: http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/adaptionsanime/sakurak.html

It is the first (and, so far, only) adaptation of a fictional character I've done; I'm still not completely happy with it.

I've thought about doing other characters, but as you've noticed, there's so much to do, I haven't done anything with it. (And, I'll admit, I find some of the relationships ... creepy. Particularly as a professional educator.) Maybe when I complete the DVD series, I'll be re-motivated to work on some of the others.