Cost of weapon master

JmOz

A fellow poster posted his idea for Weapon Master in my vigilante book thread. Not wanting to derail that conversation I wanted to talk about the price he recommended of 20 points. This seemed astronomically high to me. To get +3 OCV would only cost 15 points, and while there is some versatility will factoring in skill levels, this still seemed very high for eliminating a penalty to me. My thoughts is 9 points (based on 3 PSL's) and you cannot add skill levels to a weapon you are not fully proficient in. Thoughts?

Re: Cost of weapon master

A fellow poster posted his idea for Weapon Master in my vigilante book thread. Not wanting to derail that conversation I wanted to talk about the price he recommended of 20 points. This seemed astronomically high to me. To get +3 OCV would only cost 15 points' date=' and while there is some versatility will factoring in skill levels, this still seemed very high for eliminating a penalty to me. My thoughts is 9 points (based on 3 PSL's) and you cannot add skill levels to a weapon you are not fully proficient in. Thoughts?[/quote']Define "not fully proficient". Are you saying you could useany weapon without penalty but would still have to buy seperate Familiarities for any weapon you wanted to use Skill Levels with? While this is a street level ga,e I thought it was still Supers which often don't even bother with WF. Is using "found weapons" going to be common/likely. Are you sticking to the "you can only use it to the end of the adventure then you haveto pay points for it if you want future access to it" trope? I think we might need more detail on your general plans to really answer this.

Actually it was just his comment in the thread, not something I was necessarily thinking about including, but will consider now that he commented on it.

My rule in my game has always been if you pay points for it you do not need WF, but if you take it off of someone and want to use it for the adventure you do. Yes to keep it afterwards you need to spend points.

Like I said, other than the origin of the comment, this had little to do with my project

I'd say that the ability to offset an OCV penalty should never cost more than buying the OCV bonus. PSL's seem the most appropriate approach, but I don't see where skill levels should be unavailable - "all combat" or "all HTH combat" skill levels can be used with a weapon of opportunity, so why should they be unavailable just because the character doesn't take penalties for non-proficiency?