Deflection that can reflect?

Kegdrainer

How would I but a character that can deflect attacks (Ranged/mental) but if he does real good, reflect them back on the attacker? Would it be Deflection with reflection linked and an activation roll for the reflection (4 or less) or what? Game has a limit of 10 DC for powers/8 for killing attacks

TIA

Kegdrainer

Re: Deflection that can reflect?

I fear Deflection (Block ranged attacks at people made near you) and Reflection (redirect Ranged attacks targetted at you) are mutually exclusive. "It[Reflection] does not work with attacks that are Deflected (i.e., Blocked at Range; see 6E1 187)".

Ranged and AOE are explicitly forbidden for Reflection.

The only things I can think of:

Give your targets Reflection, via Useable on others (UOO). But then they would need to abort their phases to Block.

Telekinesis might allow you to Block for somebody else and even use reflection on that Block, if your GM allows it.

The only other way that leaps to my mind is to build a computer with reflection, and Summon one computer per ally to protect them. And hope the Gm allows the Comptuer to reflect for his protectee. But that has his own sets of problems.

Don't use reflection at all:

Blast, Trigered (when deflecting attack), Indrect (from however you defelcted for). And hope that your GM allows you to handwave that the SFX is always the same as the deflected attack (otherwise you need variable SFX as well).

Since Deflection is now just the Ranged Advantage on Block(all characters can Block ranged attacks targeted at themselves or someone next to them if they interpose themselves, if they have "something" to block with) and Reflection can't be used "at range"they can't really be used together.Depending on the SF/x, I do allow my players to buy it with the Ranged Advantage and also allow them to buy it vs HTH attacks as a separate power than vs ranged.

Given that Reflection is now based on the cost of the attack' date=' is there any reason these have to be mutually exclusive any more? Seems like the restriction just stayed in by default.[/quote']

It's very imbalanced, because it couldn't been overcome (without HTH).

Reflection allows you to counterstrike with your enemies attack.

While defelction allows you to block for anyone in a certain area (and yourself).

When you can combined both, what would the enemy have as options to break that defense?

Well, as mentioned, you could already buy an attack with Trigger that shot at your foes when they attack (whether you deflected it or not), and you can already buy Deflection to prevent any (non-AoE) attacks in an area.

In 5E, the argument could be made that Reflection's ability to redirect arbitrarily powerful attacks was only balanced by the ease of avoiding it, but that's not really the case in 6E anymore.

The Indirect Advantage could potentially be used to make an attack that is otherwise un-blockable or un-deflectable [unless the Deflection was built with the Advantage Counteracts Indirect (+¼)].

The rules only say that the first use might be "suprising" and you can't Block what you are not aware of.

Indirect is used in HSMA to create a Unblockable Strike (with the counter being a Desolidification based built), but HSMA als introduces a different approach to Transfer so this might not be the intention of Indirect.

So maybe it can't be blocked, maybe it can. It's up to the GM.

I just re-read, and the Rules for Indirect never say anything about the attack being unaffected by a Block Maneuver. They say:

"Indirect can allow a character with a Barrier to fire through it without it blocking his attack"

"A character may receive a Surprise Move bonus (see 6E2 51) the first time he uses an Indirect attack[...]"

"But it could still have significant advantages for the attacker; for example, even if an attack from behind isn’t a Surprise, it won’t be blocked by a shield held in front of the character." Wich I interpret as "the character may not recieve the OCV/DCV Bonus for his shield" (6E2 211).

Personally I think we should leave it by the Surpirse move to determine if it can be Blocked. If a 10-30% Bonus on your chance to hit isn't enough to overcome your enemies Block OCV (with shield or without), then he is apparently a much better fighter or better equiped than you and deserves the full effect of his high Block OCV/high DCV.

What part of "potentially" did you not get in my previous statement?! I know it's not a 6e RAW ruling. 5e did suggest something like this in the Ultimate Martial Artist. And even without looking at that book it is a rather straightforward extrapolation of the logic behind Indirect's affect vs. the shield bonus. But like you said, it's ultimately up to the GM.