Martial Arts, Strength, and Weapons in Champions 5E

Gemphyre

I am having a discussion about the rules with respect to Adding Damage to weapons used in Martial Arts Maneuvers. This is using 5th Edition rules.

In this case, the character has 15 STR, Martial Strike +2DC, +5 DC in MA, and a 4D6 Staff. The Martial Arts does have the Weapon Element: Staff.

From my understanding of the rules, a Martial Strike with the staff would have a total damage of 11D6. Am I missing something or not?

Gemphyre

Re: Martial Arts, Strength, and Weapons in Champions 5E

First, is this for a Heroic setting (no points for equipment like a staff) or a SuperHeroic/Champions setting (points paid for nearly everything)?

I ask because a heroic level 'staff' has a STR minimum to use which changes the damage total. That would even apply in a low powered super setting that uses equipment pools of mundane items like a staff.

Another issue with heroic level weapons is the damage doubling rule in 5e. The most damage a character could do with a 4d6 Staff without damaging it would be 8d6.

If it's for a full blown supers setting and the character paid character points for a 4d6 HA with 0 END + OAF labeled 'Staff' on the character sheet then the answer to your question is yes. The character can add all of it together for a grand total of 13d6!

edit.. correction 14d6N

This also might help...

From my street-supers character Red Tiger:

Bo (Staff): (Total: 42 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), STR Minimum 6-14 (8 STR) (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus +1 with HTH Combat (OCV Only) (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); OAF (-1), Always Direct (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3)Notes: UMA, page 172. 4 Body, 3 DEF. Effectively adds +"1 Range (Stretching), +2 Damage Classes & +1 OCV to appropriate attacks. Example: Combined with Kung Fu "Punch" it does 8d6N (same as "Kick"), Combined with Kung Fu "Leg Sweep" it does 7d6N.

The 'damage doubling' rule is basically a side effect of the 'real weapon' limitaton.

If the character pay character points to build the staff and doesn't take 'real weapon' then his STR plus the HA damage added together becomes 'base damage'.

This is a Superheroic Campaign, and the Staff does have some other non-standard abilities built into it. It is paid for by points.

So, assuming that I understand you correctly, then the STR damage (3DC) adds to both MA damage (7DC) and the and the Staff damage (4DC). Which means I did have it wrong.

Thanks.

STR + Martial Maneuver + Weapon = Damage

STR shouldn't add twice.

STR wasn't being added twice. The OP mentions the character in question has 5 Martial Damage Classes that stack on top of the Martial Strike and everything else.

Since it is for supers and paid for with points it is fairly safe to say the staff is NOT build with a STR minimum or Real Weapon limitations.

This is a Superheroic Campaign, and the Staff does have some other non-standard abilities built into it. It is paid for by points.

So, assuming that I understand you correctly, then the STR damage (3DC) adds to both MA damage (7DC) and the and the Staff damage (4DC). Which means I did have it wrong.

Thanks.

STR wasn't being added twice. The OP mentions the character in question has 5 Martial Damage Classes that stack on top of the Martial Strike and everything else.

Since it is for supers and paid for with points it is fairly safe to say the staff is NOT build with a STR minimum or Real Weapon limitations.

Hard to say for sure, but probably not. I wasn't looking at the OP. I was looking at the bolded section above. STR shouldn't add twice. That's double-dipping.

Hard to say for sure' date=' but probably not. I wasn't looking at the OP. I was looking at the bolded section above. STR shouldn't add twice. That's double-dipping.[/quote']

It wasn't double dipping. There is a +5DC that was bought with the MA skill set. That plus the +2 DC for Martial Strike is +7DC Martial Damage. Onto that is added the STR and Weapon. After the initial complete explanation of the elements, I combined the Martial Strike and extra Martial Arts DCs together so I would not have to write as much each time.