Biotic Powers from Mass Effect

Good day.

With the release of Mass Effect 3 my group has decided to play a game using its setting. My group are fighting the Reapers on Earth.

Creating the Biotic Abilities (Ability to manipulate Mass Fields). Would like some input into their creation, have given general mechanics

Most of the abilities are simply to create;

1) Throw - Knocks the target and those behind him backwards - Blast (Stun Only) - Ranged AOE - Cone with Double Knockback. – Ideally throw does no damage itself but the target suffers this from impact with objects behind them. Maybe use telekinesis limiting it to throwing the target away from you instead, no damage from the throw but use knockback rules for damage.

2) Lift - Telekinesis - Only to lift the target, no manipulation, Initial Directional Momentum Remains. AOE - Radius 2m Time Limit 1-Turn, Cost End to Activate Only.

3) Stasis - Entangle - Only one target. Time Limit 1-Minute. Neither Target or Entangle can be interacted with (Cannot take damage or be touched). Wondering if I need to add Desolification or just leave as is.

4) Warp – RKA with Damage over Time and Drain Resistant PD.

5) Shockwave – A wave of concussive force not blocked by barriers – RKA, AOE – Line 20m, No Range. Passes through barriers except shielding (bought as indirect).

The following I am have some issue with.

5) Barrier - Creates a kinetic barrier around user and weakens with each attack. Was thinking Resistant PD 20pts. Costs End to Activate, Time Limit 1-Minute. It needs a variant of Ablative - Its a -1 limitation to reduce the Active Points by 5pts if damage exceeds the Protection. Might be better to use a pool of Stun and Body which reduces with damage taken, would represent the barrier weakening. However furthering the previous two ideas I could combine Damage Negation with a Body Pool. Take Absolute Rule and say that it negated all Physical damage but body damage reduces the pool, when the pool is gone the barrier drops.

6) Singularity – Creates a sphere of extraordinary mass, this creates a gravity effect drawing all objects and people into its orbit. During its duration anyone unshielded entering the field drawn into it. – Entangle; Area of Effect - Radius 4m & Time Limit 1-Turn. Constant, Uncontrolled. Entangle cannot be damaged. Link Telekinesis with AOE – Radius 8m, Time Limit 1-Minute, Constant, Uncontrolled Limited Effect – Draw to sphere of mass and orbit it.

These are powers taken directly from Mass Effect. With time and development am sure my group will devise different methods to utilise the powers.

What do people think, could use some input into this.

Thank you.

Re: Biotic Powers from Mass Effect

You could pretty much do 1,2, maybe 3, 5 and 6 with normal TK with a couple of modifiers (possibly naked modifiers to simulate each power), 4 is a modified RKA and 5 is (as you say) defences or even Barrier, depending on how it works - you can make a Barrier one way transparent and mobile and the fact that it is built (or can be) with Body means it is naturally ablative.

Re: Biotic Powers from Mass Effect

On average I would use a little Telekinsis with a lot Martial Arts (you can use Punch, Grab and "any maneuver you paid points for" with Telekinesis). Hero System Martial Arts (HSMA) has some very helpfull rules to create your own maneuvers. It saves a lot of Endurance to use Martial Arts.

Statis is shown to work mostly like Entangle, but could also jsut be the funtion of a Telekinetik Grab.

1) Better use Shove or Throw Maneuvers with TK for this. HSMA allows you to get extra endurance free extra STR for these manevuers.

2) Just TK, Grab. Once you have a grip you can lift your target.

for 5 take the Barrier Power. With the right adders (mobile and non-achored?) you can make a barrier that works like a personal shield. APG I also has "damage based endurance Cost, wich might be better for this."

6) I would keep it out at first until you have more knowledge. Uncontrolled would be my idea as well.

Overall I can give you one important tip:

Do not try to mimic the way it works in the game. Game mechanics are always inferior to P&P game mechanics. The game powers only need to make sense with in the limited ability of the interface.

For example singularity makes sense for the game. But for p&p it might be way to clunky/limited to be useable. And that little use it has, can propably jsut be done better with a TK-Grab.