Help Me Convert from Silver ATs to Gold Freeform Goodness

Pattern Ghost

Here's the deal: I found cheap time cards on Amazon and ordered a couple. So, for at least the next four months, I'll be going Gold. Longer, if the cards stay cheap.

Now, unlike, say DDO, the Archetypes aren't horrible, but they're somewhat limited by design. So, I'll be looking at converting my ATs to Freeform. I don't have much play time on most of them, with my highest being my level 29 Inventor, Ingenuity Girl. So, starting with her, then the others as I get some more play time on them, I'd like to post my builds here so folks with more experience can take a look and point out the error of my ways. I'd do it on the CO forums, but I've already read those, and they don't seem particularly busy anyway.

So, first up:

Ingenuity Girl

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42794[/ATTACH]

Concept: Gadgeteer Pet Build with abilities to heal and support pet army as well as teams.

EDIT: Found character builder thingie. Here's updated version:

EDIT: I decided to go with a build that's closer to the original, using the same stats, so that if I go back to Silver I won't have to re-gear. So, some blasting in with the pets. Just added Muni Bots and the Arcane Bot to get more pets in the mix, with AOE from Orbital and Implosion Engine. I'll switch from Overseer spec tree to Sentinel tree for the Sentinel aura. So, INT/Commander/Sentinel for spec trees.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Ingenuity Girl

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:

Level 6: Super Intelligence (Primary)

Level 10: Super Presence (Secondary)

Level 15: Super Ego (Secondary)

Talents:

Level 1: The Inventor

Level 6: Academics

Level 9: Diplomatic

Level 12: Negotiator

Level 15: Investigator

Level 18: Showmanship

Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:

Level 1: Sonic Blaster

Level 1: Experimental Burst Ray (Rank 2, Arcturus Cooling System)

Level 6: Molecular Self-Assembly <--- Bionic Shielding

Level 8: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 11: Attack Toys (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 14: Energy Shield

Level 17: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3) <--- Munitions Bots

Level 20: Support Drones (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 23: Orbital Cannon (Rank 2, Anvil of Dawn)

Level 26: Ritual of Arcane Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)

Level 29: Munitions Bots (Rank 2) <-- Inertial Dampening Field

Level 32: Miniaturization Drive

Level 35: Implosion Engine (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 38: Inertial Dampening Field <--- Molecular Self-Assembly (Probably will pick up another pet or something here. Don't need it in Support role with the Force Sheath advantage.)

Travel Powers:

Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 35: Teleportation

Re: Help Me Convert from Silver ATs to Gold Freeform Goodness

OK, here's what I came up with for my Unleashed, Mister Midnight. Same deal, sticking close to the AT build. I probably won't use the last two powers much, except for giggles. Went with Form of the Master for the advantage to lower cooldown on the heal. I originally had pictured him as more of an unarmed type, but Unleashed kind of grew on me.

Edit: To save looking up the Talents, going for +15 in all 3 superstats and in PRE (to boost the heal)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42859[/ATTACH]

Name: Mister Midnight

Super Stats:

Level 6: Super Dexterity (Primary)

Level 10: Super Strength (Secondary)

Level 15: Super Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:

Level 1: The Unleashed

Level 6: Relentless

Level 9: Impresario

Level 12: Martial Focus

Level 15: Finesse

Level 18: Impressive Physicque

Level 21: Lasting Impression

Powers:

Level 1: Rain of Steel

Level 1: Storm's Harvest (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 6: Intensity (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 8: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3) <-- Wondering if I should change this to Way of the Warrior for FF? Unstoppable doesn't seem aweful, but WotW is in the power set...

Level 11: Force Snap (Entropic Collapse)

Level 14: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)

Level 17: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Blade Beyond the Veil)

Level 20: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)

Level 23: Form of the Master (Rank 2, Storm's Eye Prana)

Level 26: Masterful Dodge (Unfettered Strikes)

Level 29: Thunderbolt Lunge

Level 32: Dragon's Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 35: Force Eruption

Level 38: Force Geyser (Hard Landing)

Travel Powers:

Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2)

Level 35: Teleportation

Ok, next up, Citizen Arcane. Not sure if I'll need the Circle or not with Spirit Reverberation. If I don't need it, I'll replace with maybe an active defense from another set.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42880[/ATTACH]

Name: Citizen Arcane

Super Stats:

Level 6: Super Intelligence (Primary)

Level 10: Super Presence (Secondary)

Level 15: Super Ego (Secondary)

Talents:

Level 1: The Grimoire

Level 6: Academics

Level 9: Diplomatic

Level 12: Showmanship

Level 15: Daredevil

Level 18: Prodigy

Level 21: Investigator

Powers:

Level 1: Eldritch Bolts

Level 1: Eldritch Blast (Rank 2)

Level 6: Sigils of the Primal Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 8: Seraphim (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 11: Pillar of Poz

Level 14: Eldritch Shield

Level 17: Arcane Vitality (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 20: Grasping Shadows (Rank 2, Unyielding Agony)

Level 23: Spirit Reverberation

Level 26: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Level 29: Shadow Shroud (Rank 2)

Level 32: Circle of Arcane Power (Rank 2)

Level 35: Planar Fracture (Rank 2, Double Vortex)

Level 38: Sigils of Ebon Weakness (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:

Level 6: Teleportation

Level 35: Mystic Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Well, either a) nobody plays the power sets I have AT characters of, B) my builds are too bad for redemption, or c) nobody loves me. :cry:

I'll try one more time! (Actually, two, but it may be a while before I get to Arrow Guy as he's only 12 now, and I'm trying to get everyone to 20 before subbing so I can get a little more used to their power sets and how they're supposed to work.)

Here's.... Liberty Star!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42890[/ATTACH]

I don't know what to put for the last few power slots that's not redundant, as I seem to be able to cover the bases with the first 11 powers pretty well. I'm thinking of her back story as being a magically-powered Brick, who is fuelled by "the light of Liberty!" and maybe has some support type powers in addition to tanky/dps powers. Not sure where to look in the power sets for what I want. Celestial and Radiant Sorcery sets seem like they might be something to look at, but not seeing anything too compelling there. Also considering getting her Shuriken Throw to represent using her belt buckle star as a weapon, which would be very Golden-Agey. Some of the higher tier Might powers may be OK, but I don't want anything that looks too brutish, like throwing chunks of ground at people or whatever attack has the animation of the character slamming their fists into the ground like an ape. That's just not ladylike. Also considering picking up Unstoppable as a slotted passive offense for Brawler role, but not sure if it's really needed. I think changing roles but keeping Defiant would probably be decent enough damage.

So, for 1-29, I think I have all the basics covered:

1 Clobber -- Energy Builder

1 Mighty Leap -- Gap Closer, Stun

6 Defiance -- Defensive Slotted Passive

8 Demolish -- Single Target with defense debuff

11 Roomsweeper -- AOE and also fun!

14 Retaliation -- Block

17 Aggressor -- DPS stance

20 Resurgence -- CON-scaling heal

23 Thunderclap -- to combo w/Roomsweeper, knock up instead of knock back for grouping or those rare times when I care about KB soloing

26 Enrage -- Offensive buff (Not sure if this counts as an Active Offense? Wiki entry doesn't say so, but the wiki is dated)

29 Unbreakable -- Active Defense

32 ? <-- Molecular Self-Assembly for some energy regen?

35 ?

38 ?

Well, either a) nobody plays the power sets I have AT characters of, B) my builds are too bad for redemption, or c) nobody loves me

I think it is most likely d) Not enough CO players frequent this forum.

:)

I'm not enough of a build guru to really be able to comment on the builds themselves. Whenever I make a new character, I heavily use the CO forums for tips, WillBlack's guide is great though it may become out of date soon:

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=110987

Since they didn't change a lot of powers with On Alert, there is still useful info in the guide, though once they start the power set reviews again it may fall out date quickly. There are already some great guides on the forums for the new way Stats work and the Specialization Trees.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=146818

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=145720

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=145568

I can answer your question on Enrage - it is not an Active Offense, it is a stacking buff. To get the most out of it you need powers that stack it. You have the Defiance passive, Roomsweeper, and Thunderclap which is a good start. This wiki page should help find more ways to stack it, I don't think its info is overly dated yet:

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Defiant/Enraged

PS - I LOVE the golden age looks of Mister Midnight, Citizen Arcane, and Liberty Star!

PPS -

I think changing roles but keeping Defiant would probably be decent enough damage.

I don't think you can use the offensive Melee role with a Defensive passive like Defiance. You can either be in Tank role or the Hybrid/Balanced role.

I think it is most likely d) Not enough CO players frequent this forum.

:)

Problem is that d) also applies to the official forums. =)

I'm not enough of a build guru to really be able to comment on the builds themselves. Whenever I make a new character, I heavily use the CO forums for tips, WillBlack's guide is great though it may become out of date soon:

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=110987

Since they didn't change a lot of powers with On Alert, there is still useful info in the guide, though once they start the power set reviews again it may fall out date quickly. There are already some great guides on the forums for the new way Stats work and the Specialization Trees.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=146818

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=145720

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=145568

Yeah, I'd been looking those over. It's just hard to spot your own mistakes. Guess just going back and re-reading a lot before committing to changes is what I'll have to do.

I can answer your question on Enrage - it is not an Active Offense, it is a stacking buff. To get the most out of it you need powers that stack it. You have the Defiance passive, Roomsweeper, and Thunderclap which is a good start. This wiki page should help find more ways to stack it, I don't think its info is overly dated yet:

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Defiant/Enraged

Thanks, that's a page I hadn't seen yet. I'll have to read it over.

PS - I LOVE the golden age looks of Mister Midnight, Citizen Arcane, and Liberty Star!

Thanks.

PPS -

I don't think you can use the offensive Melee role with a Defensive passive like Defiance. You can either be in Tank role or the Hybrid/Balanced role.

You can't. I was referring to Hybrid role, as opposed to picking up the offensive passive to go brawler, though it probably wasn't clear from my post.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm still trying to figure out what time cards' date=' CO, Silver AT, and Gold Freeform even mean.[/quote']

It all has to do with your subscription level. You can now play for free, without subscribing, but you can also subscribe. The free players are called Silver by Cryptic, and have some restrictions, the biggest of which is not being able to make a custom character. Instead, they get to use Archetypes, which are pre-defined sets of powers, which are also locked into a pre-deteremined role. Those usually focus heavily on one power set performing in one role, and aren't as well-rounded as you can make by using a free form build. Paid subscribers are called Gold members by Cryptic. They can make freeform characters, have a much higher currency limit (Silver has 250 G cap on currency held by a character, meaning they have to barter for higher value items in game), gets six more character slots (8 vs 2) to start, and unlocks a free character slot after each character that makes it to 40. They also unlock costume slots as they level up and can use "builds" to swap gear, power slots, and roles to different set arrangements on the fly.

Time cards are an option to pay for your subscription. Most games have them. Makes it possible to give game time away as a gift, for example, or for people who don't have credit cards to have a payment option. They give you 60 days of subscription time for 30 bucks, same price as subbing with a credit card. However, they are physical products and Cryptic doesn't control the price on them once they're out the door. So, you see them on sale from time to time. Amazon has some for ten bucks each, which is 5/month, so a very nice deal. I don't know how long that deal will last, but it made me decide to try subbing.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - I don't know if you watch the CO PTS forums, but major changes are coming down the pike for Enrage. It is getting turned into a Toggled Form as part of a pass on Forms and Auras, among other changes. So that wiki page I linked to will be at least somewhat out of date when these changes hit Live.

• 2 weeks later...