Like Jazz

Laundry Knight

I am trying to make a low powered street level super for a semi-comedic game as a potential NPC ally named Like Jazz (as in "Cool, like jazz"). Anyway, I am trying to give him powers with a focus as horns of opportunity. I know how to make the core power, but I have defined that he always carries a small trombone in a holster by his side. How much would it cost to have the trombone? Would it merely be a 0 point focus since it does nothing else accept acts as a ready focus for his primary powers?

Re: Like Jazz

I am trying to make a low powered street level super for a semi-comedic game as a potential NPC ally named Like Jazz (as in "Cool' date=' like jazz"). Anyway, I am trying to give him powers with a focus as horns of opportunity. I know how to make the core power, but I have defined that he always carries a small trombone in a holster by his side. How much would it cost to have the trombone? Would it merely be a 0 point focus since it does nothing else accept acts as a ready focus for his primary powers?[/quote']

It just means it is easier for him the have a "horn of opportunity" at hand. I don't see a problem with the throwing master having something to throw ready. After all he did pay for a Inaccessible Focus and that can easily mean he is "armed" to begin with.

I short:

No cost at all.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but I was wanting a consensus. Though I am primarily working on NPC's for a hoped for game to run and thus I could technically make de facto NPC rulings to keep it simple, I am also working on my character building skills so I can help potential players and to make usable PC's should I ever get a chance to run a character in someone else's game.

Heroic Name: Like Jazz

Val CHA Cost Roll Notes 15 STR 5 12- Lift 200 kg; 3d6 HTH Damage [1] 13 DEX 6 12- 15 CON 5 12- 15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12- 15 EGO 5 12- 20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 3 ½d6 5 OCV 10 4 DCV 5 3 OMCV 0 4 DMCV 3 4 SPD 30 Phases: 4, 8, 12 6 PD 1 Total: 9 PD (6 rPD) 3 ED 1 Total: 9 ED (6 rED) 8 REC 4 30 END 4 12 BODY 3 30 STUN 5 Total Characteristic Cost: 92 Movement: Running: 14m/28m Leaping: 74m/296m Swimming: 4m/8m Cost Powers & Skills 12 Nanoweave Uniform: Resistant Protection (6 PD/6 ED); (OIF, -1/2) 55 HRRP Handset Radio: HRRP (Radio Group): (OAF -1, Affected as Hearing Group as well as Radio -1/4, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge, Battery, easy to obtain, -0) 4 Cool Shades: 6 Def Flash Defense (Sight Group): (OIF -1/2) 20 Blow That Horn: 35 pt Multipower: (OIF: Horns of Opportunity -1/2, Requires any horn based PS skill role -1/4) 4 -Play It Loud: 6d6 Flash against Hearing Group: (OIF: Horns of Opportunity -1/2, Requires any horn based PS skill role -1/4) 3 -Move to the Music: 3d6 Drain: Dexterity: (OIF: Horns of Opportunity -1/2, Requires any horn based PS skill role -1/4) 3 -Dance Party: 2d6 Drain: Dexterity: (Area 4m radius +1/4, Personal Immunity +1/4, No Range -1/2, OIF: Horns of Opportunity -1/2, Requires any horn based PS skill role -1/4) 4 -Lullaby: 4d6 Blast: (NND: No Hearing +-1/2, OIF: Horns of Opportunity -1/2, Requires any horn based PS skill role -1/4) Skills 3 Acrobatics 12- 3 Acting 13- 2 AK: Freedomsburg 11- 3 Breakfall 13- 3 Charm 13- 3 Conversation 13- 3 Deduction 12- 3 Fast Draw 12- 3 KS: Jazz History 3 Lipreading 12- 3 Oratory 13- 3 Paramedic 12- 3 Persuasion 13- 0 PS: Musician 11- 2 PS: Brass Instruments 5 PS: Trombone 14- 3 Shadowing 12- 3 Stealth 12- 3 Streetwise 13- 3 Teamwork 12- MA: Generic Martial Arts 4 -Block 4 -Dodge 5 -Kick 4 -Punch Total Powers & Skill Cost: 133 Total Cost: 225 Matching Complications 15 Social Complication: Public ID 20 Psychological Complication: Code vs Killing 15 Dependent: Uncle "Slinky" Johnsone (Incompetent, Infrequently) Total Complications Points: 50 Background/History: Like Jazz comes from a long line of jazz and blues men. While playing around with his trombone he discovered ways of using his musical talents for soften villains up for easy exploitation. Using his abilities he decided to fight crime and would eventually join the Regulator where he received advance crimefighting training.

Personality/Motivation: Like Jazz is fun loving and loyal. He likes to entertain. When he is playing his horn, he is telling stories and jokes and generally acting up. He does have a love for the occasional friendly prank.

Quote: Better to dead and cool than alive and uncool.

Powers/Tactics: His favorite tactic is to get his opponents' toes tapping to leave them open his opponents.

Appearance: Like Jazz is an African-American man who dresses in a dark blue leotard-style uniform with a light blue 8th note on the chest. He carries a small trombone in a holster at his side.

Designer's Notes: The Regulators are team of mostly street level crimefighers who until recently had the reputation of being little more than a neighborhood watch in tights (Mostly ranging from competent normal to low powered super hero with a few exceptions). They were well-liked but not necessarily respected as heroes. Unbeknown to the general public, the legendary hero known as the Cardinal, along with a handful of other semi-retired heroes, have started training the Regulators to be more effective and using their influence to build up the teams technical and monetary resources.

Heroic Name: Like Jazz

Val CHA Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200 kg; 3d6 HTH Damage [1]

13 DEX 6 12-

15 CON 5 12-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

15 EGO 5 12-

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

5 OCV 10

4 DCV 5

3 OMCV 0

4 DMCV 3

4 SPD 30 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6 PD 1 Total: 12 PD (6 rPD)

3 ED 1 Total: 9 ED (6 rED)

8 REC 4

30 END 4

12 BODY 3

30 STUN 5

Total Characteristic Cost: 92

Movement:

Running: 12m/24m

Leaping: 4m/8m

Swimming: 4m/8m

Cost Powers & Skills

12 Nanoweave Uniform: Resistant Protection (6 PD/6 ED); (OIF, -1/2)

5 HRRP Handset Radio: HRRP (Radio Group): (OAF -1, Affected as Hearing Group as well as Radio -1/4, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge, Battery, easy to obtain, -0)

4 Cool Shades: 6 Def Flash Defense (Sight Group): (OIF -1/2)

20 Blow That Horn: 35 pt Multipower: (OIF: Horns of Opportunity -1/2, Requires any horn based PS skill role -1/4)

4 -Play It Loud: 6d6 Flash against Hearing Group: (OIF: Horns of Opportunity -1/2, Requires any horn based PS skill role -1/4)

3 -Move to the Music: 3d6 Drain: Dexterity: (OIF: Horns of Opportunity -1/2, Requires any horn based PS skill role -1/4)

3 -Dance Party: 2d6 Drain: Dexterity: (Area 4m radius +1/4, Personal Immunity +1/4, No Range -1/2, OIF: Horns of Opportunity -1/2, Requires any horn based PS skill role -1/4)

4 -Lullaby: 4d6 Blast: (NND: No Hearing +-1/2, OIF: Horns of Opportunity -1/2, Requires any horn based PS skill role -1/4)

Skills

3 Acrobatics 12-

3 Acting 13-

2 AK: Freedomsburg 11-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Charm 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Deduction 12-

3 Fast Draw 12-

3 KS: Jazz History

3 Lipreading 12-

3 Oratory 13-

3 Paramedic 12-

3 Persuasion 13-

0 PS: Musician 11-

2 PS: Brass Instruments

5 PS: Trombone 14-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Streetwise 13-

3 Teamwork 12-

MA: Generic Martial Arts

4 -Block

4 -Dodge

5 -Kick

4 -Punch

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 133 Total Cost: 225

Matching Complications

15 Social Complication: Public ID

20 Psychological Complication: Code vs Killing

15 Dependent: Uncle "Slinky" Johnsone (Incompetent, Infrequently)

Total Complications Points: 50

Background/History: Like Jazz comes from a long line of jazz and blues men. While playing around with his trombone he discovered ways of using his musical talents for soften villains up for easy exploitation. Using his abilities he decided to fight crime and would eventually join the Regulator where he received advance crimefighting training.

Personality/Motivation: Like Jazz is fun loving and loyal. He likes to entertain. When he is playing his horn, he is telling stories and jokes and generally acting up. He does have a love for the occasional friendly prank.

Quote: Better to dead and cool than alive and uncool.

Powers/Tactics: His favorite tactic is to get his opponents' toes tapping to leave them open his opponents.

Appearance: Like Jazz is an African-American man who dresses in a dark blue leotard-style uniform with a light blue 8th note on the chest. He carries a small trombone in a holster at his side.

Designer's Notes: The Regulators are team of mostly street level crimefighers who until recently had the reputation of being little more than a neighborhood watch in tights (Mostly ranging from competent normal to low powered super hero with a few exceptions). They were well-liked but not necessarily respected as heroes. Unbeknown to the general public, the legendary hero known as the Cardinal, along with a handful of other semi-retired heroes, have started training the Regulators to be more effective and using their influence to build up the teams technical and monetary resources.