Redux: Man o' War

Beazulbob

I'm posting a 250 PC named Man o' War. As a prospective GM - is he too powerful for a 250 game? Too dark? Too complicated? If so, what changes would you suggest. My gut says no, but I'm a bit biased when it comes to evaluating my own PC.

As a side note: do you think a PC with 3 MP is more complicated to run/gm then a PC with a variable pool?

Power wise: In the 250 game, up to 12 DC regular damage, does his variety push him over the power limit in your opinion?

[ATTACH]43726[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43727[/ATTACH]

Re: Redux: Man o' War

I am uncertain about the Version. It seems to be 5E, but thingls like the "Unified" Limitation have been houseruled in.

A littlebit odd combination of comabt values:

DCV high

Defenses almost top

SPD rather low

OCV high

DC rather low (best attack is a 10 OCV, 6.5d6) without the Flux field.

His main weapons seem to be Mentalism, but his ECV's are lower than his physical CV's.

I don't see any inherent problems with having three MP's.

Just keep in mind that no power bought in any Framework can be combined with any power bought in another or the same Framework.

A lot of stuff is redundant:

why swinging, whe you can fly and teleport?

Why a 6 DC Strike w/ 2d6 NND Damage shield + a 9 DC Mental blast + a 8 DC EB, NND?

Overall it seems like you couldn't decide what you want. Right now he is a Mentalist, Martial Artist, EP with a Utility belt.

He's a bit of a mix! Inspired by the below picture, I interpreted the field behind him sort of an id/force construct ala forbidden planet, which led me to him having him be psychic. The gi made him a martial artist, and the sword a very minor gadgeteer. He is 5th edition, and I'm using unified (1/4) (a logical 1/4 limit, I could achieve the same with 1/4 limited power, but this is so much cleaner!).

His ECV is lower then I want, but he is points starved. I already have planned out several xp expenditures: higher ego, more varied gadget pool, move up to a 30 strength, and dozens of skills. All told, I'll need about 100 points to bring him to were he should be - but that is about right. He was initially a 350 that I've stripped down to 250.

Each MP has a defense, an offense (or more), and a move ability. This allows him to mix things up a bit. He doesn't always have his id field up (the 3rd MP), as it takes time (OIHI) and does damage to him to extrude/start it. The mental MP (the 2nd MP) has activation so he can't always count on it. The final MP (the 1st) is OAF so he is at risk of losing it. As MP become unavailable for whatever reason, he is forced to mix his abilities more carefully.

The defenses can go pretty high if I focus my MPs on defending myself, though the bulk of his defense is his FF, which is on activation. Also, the goal is 1/1/1 (attack/defense/move), so unless facing a truly dangerous foe, he would only have 1 slot on defense, putting him at a 22 defense.

If a GM felt that having 2 potential defenses was too much (absorb as defense and FF), I'd be willing to use lockout to prevent it. I didn't envision him being a defense god. I'd also be willing to lower his combat luck if need be.

The martial arts, using the sword or bokken, does up to a 10.5d6 attack, though the mental powers are limited to 9 DCs. He becomes a higher damage source when he keeps his 2d6 NND dmg shield up while he hits people with the sword or bokken (pretty nasty!)

The inability to mix the MP together was intentional. I don't want to have the temptation for a 115 point power! This way he remains somewhat even keeled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43728[/ATTACH]

What's up with this mix of powers? Good question....

He is a mentalist with a good strength. He has sport mental abilities, with the only standard mental power being ego blast. While pursuing a drug dealer, he fell to the ground and heaved up (over a two minute period of agony) a wierd field of energy. He ran from it, attacked it, nothing did any good. He finally realized that it is his externalized id as a sort of force creation (thank you forbidden planet for one of the stranger mental abilities). He can ride it (flight), defend with it (absorb), let it settle around him (dmg shield), and temporarily encase someone in it (NND).

Always strong (benefit of being a mutant, though clocking in low at 23 strength - some brick!), his self control (high ego and mental powers) and with a desire to protect himself physically, he studied martial arts. He quickly learned kendo (and still takes classes in it today).

He's a cop in his non-hero time and was inspired by the equipment he carries as a police officer (gun, handcuffs, baton, radio, etc), that he decided to make his own 'utility belt' to help him. The sword and bokken were natural additions due to his kendo training. The smoke bomb and line gun were inspired by one of his primary research subjects (The comic book character batman. He has all the good toys!), and the shield was added upon the 3rd time he got shot (damn that activating force field).

So, while an odd mix of powers, he's supposed to be a sport psychic with martial arts training and tools. In play he's a joy to mix slots to achieve different effects (I played him at a con game and had a blast - though I did have my head handed to me more then once). The powers merge (at least in my head) nicely - but I have a feeling that others are seeing him as a super mutt. Darn.

Powers:

Mental Awareness Costs +/- 0 Points?

Mulitpower - 22 REC try Aid instead or Heal

Disadvantages:

Psych Lim: Brutal - More of a Bad Guy disadvantage IMOHO.

Reminds me of a Kingdom Come homage character. Before Superman Returned.

Susceptabilities: - Could scare a NEW GM.The Character Background would be important

Background: - Your Traveller "Sport PSIonic" experience is showing. ;)

255pts total? Hmmm...

QM

PS: I hope that helps.

Mental awareness is free if you have mental powers

Yeah - I'll switch the recovery to an aid

Brutal - he'll hit you when your down, he's willing to break the arm of an agent in his way. He's a nasty fighter. He will use his sword an cut you. He doesn't kill unless has no choice, though. He draws the line there. Yeah, he's a bastard.

Susceptibility: he takes 2d6 to take hero form. 3d6 if his aura is dispelled. The nasty part is, his hero form is defined as extruding the aura. If it gets dispelled, he takes 3d6, then another 2d6 when he brings it back out... that, or not use that MP for the rest of the battle.

I didn't get the background joke (hey, I'm slow)

255: I managed to play the PC once at Kublacon. Damn, there should be more champions games at these cons!

PS: Yes, this helps a lot! Thanks QM!

Susceptibility: he takes 2d6 to take hero form. 3d6 if his aura is dispelled. The nasty part is' date=' his hero form is defined as extruding the aura. If it gets dispelled, he takes 3d6, then another 2d6 when he brings it back out... that, or not use that MP for the rest of the battle.[/quote']

Hmm, that sounds more like a Side Effect. Judging how much that would be worth as Complication is harder.

I was treating it as a common susc, as it happens at least once per game if he wants to use that MP. Also, he can not just leave it on, as the aura is bright, follows him around, and is injurious to others. Typically, he turns it on as soon as he knows combat is coming.