Characters from DC's Earth 2 - mostly 5e

assault

This thread will feature my attempts at modelling characters from DC's Earth 2 series.

To begin with, they will be built according to 5e rules, although I might include 6e versions later.

I'm attempting to build them on 250 points, although I might have to go with 350. Green Lantern looks likely to require this.

Naturally, since the series is in its early days, the characters will develop abilities beyond what they initially exhibit, and may require updates to reflect this.

First up: the Flash.

Re: Characters from DC's Earth 2 - mostly 5e

The Flash - Earth 2

Jay Garrick

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

33 DEX 69

20 CON 20

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

10 PRE 0

10 COM 0

8 PD 6

8 ED 4

8 SPD 37

6 REC 0

40 END 0

25 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 139 Points

Cost Powers

60 Superspeed: Multipower (60 Point reserve)

10m 1) Super-Running: Flight 25", x8 Noncombat; Only In Contact With A Surface (-¼)

5u 2) Full Speed: Flight 20", MegaScale (1" = 10 km; +1/2); Only In Contact With A Surface (-¼)

1u 3) Superspeed Leap: Leaping +15"

1u 4) Transform: Instant Change [One Set of Clothes]

3u 5) Superspeed Punch: HA +6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Hand-to-Hand Attack (-½)

Total Powers Cost: 80 Points

Cost Talents

6 Combat Luck (Armor [3 PD/ED], Hardened [+¼]; Luck-Based [-½], Nonpersistent [-¼])

Total Talents Cost: 6 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 16-

3 Breakfall 16-

3 Power Skill: Superspeed Powers 16-

Total Skills Cost: 9 Points

Total Cost: 234 Points

190+ Disadvantages

15 DNPC: Joan, Ex-girlfriend (Normal, Unaware, Infrequently)

20 Hunted: World Army (More Powerful, NCI, Occasionally, Harshly Punish)

10 PsyL: Novice Hero, Unsure of Self (Common, Moderate)

15 SocL: Secret Identity: Jay Garrick (Frequently, Major)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

Origin: As his final act, Mercury, last of the Roman gods, bestowed his powers upon college graduate Jay Garrick.

Note: this character is written with an eye to conversion to 6e, so his base points and disadvantages have been adjusted accordingly. This draft is based on the first 3 issues of Earth 2, and should be updated as more issues become available.

He has exhibited few skills thus far. Most of what he "should" have is covered by Everyman skills. His Acrobatics and Breakfall reflect his practice of Parkour, mentioned in issue #2. He doesn't appear to have Navigation, since he didn't know where he was when he ended up in Poland.

His Power Skill is intended to reflect the fact that he will demonstrate new powers in future issues, beyond what can be plausibly explained in Hero System terms by gained experience, and that some of these demonstrated powers will probably only appear once.

His "instant change" is debateable, since his costume seems to appear and disappear automatically, but he seems to be able to control it.

I'm assuming Joan will reappear, and play a typical DNPC role.

He has 11 points left over, which can be allocated to fill any holes that become obvious.

I have reduced his PRE to 10 in accordance with Zen Archer's suggestion.

If you want to free up more points, you could probably get away with dropping that PRE. I don't see Jay as a particularly imposing figure at the moment.

Issues #4 and #5 are likely combat issues with the heroes vs. the recently introduced villain. Should be plenty of opportunity to see what they can do.

Nice job. Looking forward to seeing more of these.

If you want to free up more points' date=' you could probably get away with dropping that PRE. I don't see Jay as a particularly imposing figure at the moment.[/quote']

I considered giving him a 10 PRE, but wanted to avoid having to buy it up later. You're right, though - 10 would be more accurate.

Issues #4 and #5 are likely combat issues with the heroes vs. the recently introduced villain. Should be plenty of opportunity to see what they can do.

Yes. I'm hoping to start my Green Lantern draft this weekend, but obviously the showdown with the villain is going to require me to rework it.

He looks a bit more powerful than Jay, but he should be doable on more or less the same points if I count his ring as an OIF.

Nice job. Looking forward to seeing more of these.

Thanks. I was pretty pleased with it.

It will only be Flash and GL until at least next issue, although I suppose I could try to build Power Girl/Supergirl and Huntress/Robin. Or even Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. They'd all be on more points, obviously.

Hawkgirl will have to wait until we have more information about her.

It will only be Flash and GL until at least next issue, although I suppose I could try to build Power Girl/Supergirl and Huntress/Robin. Or even Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. They'd all be on more points, obviously.

I'd think Power Girl and Huntress might be easier because we've seen much more of them so far.

The Atom is getting introduced next issue as well, and they may get back to Terry Sloane one of these days.

Power Girl makes things complicated. If Jay is the Fastest Man In The World, Kara is The Fastest Woman.

Thankfully, I had some "quiet time" today to work out how to deal with it.

I think I will go with the 10 PRE option, and bump up Jay's DEX to 34. That means that Kara can have a 33 DEX, equal skills, DCV and so on, and still move after Jay. This is a case where 6e is arguably better than 5e, with Lightning Reflexes being as cheap as dirt. On the other hand, Jay's 16- skills technically push the Low-Powered Superhuman benchmarks. Meh.

I doubt I will be able to do Kara on less than 450 points. My benchmarks for Jay are pretty much the way I want them to be, and Kara has a whole bunch of stuff more than Jay. It also means that Helena would be pretty much right - 450 would work nicely for her.

Incidentally, a 450 point Helena would be a good basis for a 250 point Hawkgirl. The latter looks like she is vaguely similar, but much less awesome, aside from her wings. Of course we need more information to check this.

I'll do my first draft of Alan Scott before I try Kara though. He may provide useful benchmarks too.

There's not really enough information yet to do a decent Green Lantern. On the other hand, Alan Scott is pretty well detailed. :)

Once I get time, I'll finish throwing together my very crude GL draft, which contains a lot of questionable assumptions and wild guesses. Hopefully it should provide a basis for editing up a more accurate version once we get to see GL in action in the next couple of issues.

250 points looks fairly OK at the moment, though. The picking up a train carriage bit is well within that power level.

Power Girl is interesting too. 450 looks about right. 350 would be fairly close for when she popped out of the Boom Tube, but she would be skimping on Life Support and senses.

Her "present day" skills and perks would be fairly similar to Alan Scott's, given that they are both basically Filthy Rich zillionaires. She has an interesting ability to locate rare earth minerals as an effect of her super-vision. These are the kinds of things that would be omitted in a 350 point version.

I'll have to look at it a bit closer, but it's interesting how she is supposedly effectively invulnerable to everything except the energies encountered in the Boom Tube and used by her opponent in issues 2 and 3. I'm tempted to buy her rather modest general defences, combined with extra defences that don't work against that (as yet unidentified) energy. Given that that makes her vulnerable to pretty much all of the supervillains and serious opponents she is likely to encounter, a (-1) limitation would be justifiable. In other words, she's a brick, except against supervillains!

I kind of like that. I may not be able to get away with using it, but it's interesting.

She's supposed to be vulnerable to Kryptonite too, of course, but that doesn't seem to be playing a major role yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Woo hoo! Issue #4! Time to restart the project.

The Atom and Hawkgirl look doable, now we've had a better look at them, although the Atom looks like he's meant to be tough enough to take on all the others simultaneously.

I'll polish up my Green Lantern draft today. He actually looks more like a brick than anything else, but that's probably a function of inexperience. Since I'm building him around a multipower, that shouldn't be an issue. He might work better in 6e.

The villain is tricky.

I still want to do Power Girl and Huntress writeups too.

The new Al looks pretty tough. Growth, definitely. Assuming he's at maximum height - which isn't a safe assumption - the amount of it he has should be guessable by how big he is compared to the other characters.

He's got the energy glowy thing around his hands - some kind of HA? - which may also turn out to be ranged.

He has a glow around him when he jumps out of the plane - flight, presumably.

We can assume high defences, life support, and possibly some kind of enhanced senses.

He has military training, presumably at an elite level, so he will be a skill monster too.

Actually, he clearly needs to be built on more points that Jay. 350 would be a decent start. 450 might be more appropriate, but I'd rather avoid point inflation at this stage. Let power creep kick in at its own rate.

Disads/Complications: mainly Subject to Orders (World Army), Watched (World Army). These might end up becoming Hunted (World Army), the way it appears that they have for Hawkgirl.

Next issue looks like it will be heavy on the backstory, so it may not be too useful for modelling the main characters. Then again, it might be useful for Huntress and Power Girl.

They've pretty much taken the logical road with Al Pratt. Highly trained spec ops NonComm, with all the later set up of the old Atom (strength, durability, Atomic punch), combined with the power set of Atom Smasher, and judging from the costume and Back and forth from the industry folks, Damage as well. 2 of the three confirmed so far, and getting a lot of wink wink nudge just wait for issue 5 on the last. My builds are 6e and go along slightly other different lines. Fairly sure all Al did in the last issue was stick his landing so to speak. I'll double check to make sure though.

~Rex

He has military training, presumably at an elite level, so he will be a skill monster too.

Actually, he clearly needs to be built on more points that Jay. 350 would be a decent start. 450 might be more appropriate, but I'd rather avoid point inflation at this stage. Low power creep kick in at its own rate.

Probably not just skills, but skill levels as well, since he's been in the World Army for several years and seems to have done several covert missions as The Atom.

Green Lantern - Earth 2

Alan Scott

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

10 BODY 0

18 INT 8

18 EGO 16

20 PRE 10

12 COM 1

8 PD 6

8 ED 4

5 SPD 20

7 REC 2

40 END 0

25 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 117 Points

Cost Powers

40 Armour 20 rPD 20 rED, OIF (-1/2)

47 Green Energy: Multipower, 70-point reserve, all OIF (-1/2)

2u 1) Super-Strength: +50 Strength, No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

1u 2) Transform: Instant Change [One Set of Clothes]

5m 3) Flight 20", OIF (-1/2)

3u 4) Full Speed Flight: Flight 20”, MegaScale (1” = 1 km; +¼), OIF (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 98 Points

Cost Skills & Perks

3 Conversation 13-

3 High Society 13-

3 KS: Business And Finance 13-

3 PS: Businessman/Industrialist 13-

2 PS: Reporter 11-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Power Skill 13-

15Money: Filthy Rich

Total Skills & Perks Cost: 35 Points

Total Cost: 250 Points

190+ Disadvantages

15 Hunted: Grundy (As Powerful, Frequently, Harshly Punish)

20 PsyL: Big Darn Hero (Common, Total)

10 PsyL: Mourning Sam (Common, Moderate)

15 SocL: Secret Identity: Alan Scott (Frequently, Major)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

Origin:

Note: Even at this early stage I had to shave points to get him within 250. The guidelines I set are already breaking down.

Jay definitely seems to be the low point total character.

Alan realised that he could use his power in more creative ways that just bashing things in issue #4, but for some reason his power failed. No doubt we will find out why in future issues.

Future updates will ignore the 250 point limit, and I'll restore some of what I shaved.

I ignored his ability to home in on Grundy, as it seems both Hawkgirl, and to some extent Jay, can do it as well. That suggests that it belongs on Grundy's sheet - something like an "aura of wrongness" Disad/Complication.