Total Drama Metahumans

quozaxx

From time to time, I get the urge to try out a new game. Unfortunately, I usually don't have time to actually put it together or play it. But I thought you'd at least like my concept.

If you've seen the Cartoon Network cartoons Total Drama Island (TDI), Total Drama Action (TDA), Total Drama World Tour, (TDW) or even Total Drama Revenge of the Island (TDR) then you know the premise of this game.

You are a teenager (15 or 16 years old) doing various competitions and trying not to get voted off so you could win one million dollars. The only difference between those shows and this one is that you also have meta human powers.

Basically it's Survivor meets teenagers meets Champion's characters.

Basic Rules:

1. Don't ever mess with the host. You can compliment him or try to get on his good side, but you can't use your powers on him to influence him.
  2. You make two (that's right 2) characters to play. One male and one female character. If both of your main characters get voted out, you can play an npc character.
  3. Make characters with strong personalities. Let's face it; the more grounded the character is; the more likely they are going to make it to further levels. (which means I won't vote against them)
  4. Character are 6th Edition, 150 points with 50 points in Complications (150 points total, not 200 points total). Each of the 2 characters that you make should have different personalities.
  5. No Frameworks, No VPPs, No Multi-powers, if you have martial arts, no more than 5 maneuvers and no extra damage classes. The max of one Exclamation Point or Stop Power (not both). You do not HAVE to have any powers if you don't want. You could have all skills.
  6. I want to see some Skills! The game is all about skills.
  7. No peeking! Don't look at reduced visibility threads. Do not look at other character sheets. Do not look at npc sheets. The confessional is an iconic part of the game. I want player to use it knowing that other players are not going to peek.

Please see notes in the below for more information and notes.

For more information on the show itself, please go to either http://totaldrama.wikia.com/wiki/Total_Drama_Wiki or http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/total-drama/index.html?atclk_gn=link_shw_Total-Drama-Revenge-of-the-Island

Cheating:

In the TV show, contestants have cheated in the game. But what is cheating? What are the actual rules of the game? (Besides what is listed above)

1. You can't mess with voting. You can't switch names (even though the character Harold did this in TDI.). If you are found out, the character voted out will return and then you will have to deal with them.
  2. You can't attack another player, unless it is part of a challenge. (Save it for the challenges folks)
  3. You can't steal or mess with the money. (Or CAN you????)
  4. If you get voted off, you must leave the island immediately.

Which means that if you DO cheat, you may get caught or found out, which may lead to other complications along the way.

Voting:

I am having each player make 2 characters. The reason being; You can get voted off. And what fun is it if your only character gets voted off too soon?

You only get one vote per character, even if you have followers or duplicates.

When we are down to less players available, you will get to be on the jury, and be able to still role play (so you don't get bored waiting for the game to play out)

Characteristics sell back:

Would Cameron (TDR) be as memorable without his lowered STR, or Lindsay (TDI) without her lowed INT. Yes, you can sell back Characteristics.

Limits:

You may be wondering why I chose no VPP or MP. I wanted the game to still be able to won with just skills. VPP are very, very powerful. And Martial Arts can be very effective with relatively low cost; and thus can be sometimes even more powerful than a super Power.

Powers are usually based on up to 45 Active points. The point values will probably round out to about 30 Active points. This also captures the feel of a teen based game, just learning their powers. I am not going to require Limitations, but you can purchase more Skills, and other Powers if you have them.

Characteristics:

I usually prefer using the Characteristic Maxima, and anything above that going into the Powers section. So if you want a 45 STR. You'd have a base STR of 20 and +25 STR in the Powers Section.

Skills:

I prefer role playing vs rolling dice when you are playing against another PC. Skill rolls are mainly vs npc's or inanimate objects. (or to show off. Like with Actobatics)

Assume you have the proper equipment. Like assume you have bugging equipment if you have the Bugging skill. However, it is probably an OAF and probably needs to be backed up with additional rolls (like a Concealment Roll for Bugging equipment)

Combat Skill Levels: I'd prefer no more than a +2 on any attack. This will represent the fact that you are still a teenager and still learning to use your powers.

Perks:

Most perks are not allowed in this game for the simple reason: I don't know how you can do it without cheating.

Access, Anonymity, Computer Link, Deep Cover, and Bases will be seriously questioned, and may not be allowed.

Contact can be used: Dakota (TDR) used her contact of her father to get back onto the set (as an intern), and Courtney (TDI) used her lawyer contacts to get back into the game after Harold Cheated.

Followers: I will probably limit the number of followers you have to 1, and you must have a separate write up of that follower, (and an explanation of why I should allow them to follow you)

Vehicles: I've never actually seen a vehicle on any of the Total Drama characters. If you choose a vehicle, you still can't use a Framework on it. And it is considered an OAF and thus can be taken away or destroyed.

Talents:

None of the talents have any conditions to them except, Lightning Reflexes and Universal Translator.

Lightning Reflexes: Let's face it; this can be a abusive, especially in this game. I will question why you need it instead of just raising your DEX, and probably limit how much you can have.

Universal Translator: You must have the “Requires a roll” Limitation on this. The mutant animals have their own language and share only a small connection with talking with normal animals. (Basic conversation) and require a minus on your roll.

Martial Arts:

Like I mentioned before Martial Arts are very powerful for the low cost they have. If you have a 20 STR and a certain maneuver, you then have the STR of a person with 30 or even 40 STR – and that's without extra Damage classes!

This is why I'm choosing to have no extra damage classes or more than 5 maneuvers.

Powers:

As I have mentioned, you may only have, at the MOST one exclamation point, or Stop Sign Power. The only exception may be an individual that wants to be an Automaton. Then I may allow both Automaton Powers, and Does Not Bleed.

Adjustment Powers:

They should have the normal return rate.

Duplication:

I will probably limit the amount of Duplicates you can have. Probably no more than 1.

Killing Attacks:

I may limit the number of BODY you can do against another PC. Let's face it; I don't want you to kill each other.

Luck:

Luck will be capped at 3d6 and can only be rolled once per competition or story arc.

Multiform:

You may only have one form you can change into, and it must follow all the rules set above.

Shape Shift:

There should be some way to determine that you were not who you shape shifted to look like. And thus I will not allow the Cellular Adder.

Transform:

Transform can only be used if the antidote is easily available. Like recovers in less than a half hour, or splashed with water, or some other very easy method.

Advantages:

The limitation of only one Stop Sign Power or Exclamation Point Power also applies to Advantages. Instead of the word “Power”, exchange it with the word “Advantage”.

Thus you can't have a Transform Power with the Indirect Advantage.

Limitations:

The Exclamation Point Limitation are NOT included in the list of things you cannot do.

Thus, you CAN have a Transform Power with the Unified Power Limitation.

Complications:

Dependence: How will you get a hold of your insulin on location? Think about that.

DNPC:

If you have a DNPC; They are an intern, or part of the crew. They will not help you. That's called a contact or a follower.

Distinctive Features:

You must explain how this inhibits you after the other get used to how you look.

Psychological Complication:

Let's face it, you should have at LEAST one of these.

Social Complication:

How can you have a secret ID, if you have cameras on you 24 hours a day?

Unluck:

This is capped at 3d6

What you can take with you?

You can take one object with you. Most likely, if you have a focus, that is the item you took.

Lightning (TDR) brought his protein powder, Sam (TDR) brought his hand held games (he counted a LOT of games as one item). And Noah (TDI) brought his book along

Romance:

What is the game without some on camera romance? This is part of the reason I am asking you to make at least one male and one female player. Don't be afraid to make a “love connection”.

Language:

This is a PG show, (or at the most TV-14), and thus the language should reflect that in the spirit of the show. You don't hear bleeps every other sentence, and I actually don't like swearing. It's a pet peeve kind of thing.

If you feel your character HAS to or NEEDS to swear. The Bleep, F***, Hades, etc work wonders getting the point across. Anyone ignoring this rule will probably get at least one vote against their character that swore from an npc. Can you afford that?

Again, I think this would have been a fun game if I only had the time and energy to keep up with it. I hope you like the concept.

Re: Total Drama Metahumans

Universal Translator: You must have the “Requires a roll” Limitation on this. The mutant animals have their own language and share only a small connection with talking with normal animals. (Basic conversation) and require a minus on your roll.

That I don't understand. Universal Translator already has a Required Roll - a INT Roll - to understand what is said.

Why put a second rolll on it?

Re: Total Drama Metahumans

I've never actually played it like it needed a roll. And the few that have actually used Universal Translator have never rolled to understand someone. So, I guess I should rewrite that to remind players that they would have to roll to understand someone - especially a mutated animal.

As for the events. The game would progress a lot like the show itself. From making it to a specific destination, to finding a specific item and so on. Each contest would be resolved based on the challenge itself. Which means a teleporter would have an incredible advantage over a non teleporter.

Besides, how would your character know what the final challenge would be if Chris hasn't told you what it is yet? More than likely I would take snippets from the other Total Drama shows and actions reality games like Survivor as a basis of a challenge and see how a meta human would solve those games.