Focus others can activate

CrosshairCollie

I'm imagining something like the Ben 10 Omnitrix, or maybe Space Ghost's power bands ... an OIF (or perhaps 'non-focus focus') that has to be activated manually, but in theory if the PC is motionless, unaware or non-resisting, someone else could activate it.

You can see a good example in this video ... the little kid creeps over and hits the 03 button on Andros' battlizer, making him transform.

I'm trying to figure out how you would build this ... or if it's really just one of those -0 'has some upsides, has some downsides, they even out' affairs.

Re: Focus others can activate

Is someone can take it away from the character, it's a focus. If it's always there and nobody can remove it without causing body damage (to its owner) then it's something else. Other than that, I'm kinda stumped. If I were the GM and switching on his instant change power was the only thing someone could do, I'd just have him hand me a list of people who already know how to do this, and anyone he notifies thenceforth should be added to the list.

In fact I don't understand this post. Sorry, maybe my blondeness is getting the best of me... it happens, especially in autumn...

But to me, it is a common sense thing. And a comic book thing.

I.e, I have a magic sword that hasn't an adder telling than no one else can use it ? Well I disarm the hero, and I use it .

I find an Iron Man armor in a secret base ? Well I put it on and use it if nothing forbid meto do it.

Among the facts that a focus can be taken from a character, to me, it's natural that the main danger is the ability than anyone else can use it. If he can't, then it's not a focus.

I'm not sure I'm clear.. am I ?

Obvious Very Accessible Focused Opale

In fact I don't understand this post. Sorry, maybe my blondeness is getting the best of me... it happens, especially in autumn...

But to me, it is a common sense thing. And a comic book thing.

I.e, I have a magic sword that hasn't an adder telling than no one else can use it ? Well I disarm the hero, and I use it .

I find an Iron Man armor in a secret base ? Well I put it on and use it if nothing forbid meto do it.

Among the facts that a focus can be taken from a character, to me, it's natural that the main danger is the ability than anyone else can use it. If he can't, then it's not a focus.

I'm not sure I'm clear.. am I ?

Obvious Very Accessible Focused Opale

Well, no one is taking the device away and using it themselves.

They are activating a power FOR the hero.

I think its more along the line of powers that have some sort of activation requirement for them. Anything from Striking the Omnitrix, to Swallowing a Power Pill, to flipping a switch on the power armor. Anyone can do the "activation" to turn it on (or in some cases off) for the hero/villain.

In game terms I have to agree with the others that this really sounds like a trigger, of course for something like the Omnitrix, it would be two triggers (one to turn on, one to turn off, and note that several times a villain has hit the omitrix to "turn off" Ben's transformation.) id buy it at the base (+1/4) level and simply define it as anyone can trigger

In game terms I have to agree with the others that this really sounds like a trigger' date=' of course for something like the Omnitrix, it would be two triggers (one to turn on, one to turn off, and note that several times a villain has hit the omitrix to "turn off" Ben's transformation.) id buy it at the base (+1/4) level and simply define it as anyone can trigger[/quote']

I still say trigger is waste of points most of the time as thisd will mostly be a plot device.

Also, not just anyone can hit the omnitrix and turn it off. Only characters that know how the Omntirx works (Azmuth, Vilgax) or were able to drain it's power source have displayed any ability to turn it off. Ben can;t trun the thing off when he wants most of the time, so I certainly wouldn't charge his player for an "advantage" that Villians and NPC's can use against him...

Well, the examples given were for a focus that someone could creep up and activate it if the hero were unconscious. I would definitely term that an advantage. There was no real mention made of bad guys activating the focus at inconvenient moments.

If it is meant more as a disadvantage then you have options such as Accidental Change or possibly Limited Power: Power loses about a fourth of its overall effectiveness since it can be triggered against your will (but honestly, that would have to happen an awful lot)

Actually ben FREQUENTLY turns off the omnitrix outside of the first season, but :P not worth arguing over.... (although i did just argue it there didnt I? bleh, )

And it would be an advantage if others can use it FOR him (if he is unconscious, restrained, or otherwise unable to access it himself). Ill give you that it might not come up often enough, but if thats the case there is nothing wrong with a +0 Trigger advantage if your GM is willing.

Another possibility is to take Restrainable, but lower the value of the limitation by saying that others could activate it for him.... not 100% sure thats a valid use of restrainable tho.

Well... if the Focus has an Obvious activation method (Push This Button) - I would just rule that's part of the Accessible aspect of a Focus itself; they have the option of Taking It or Activating It, no additional rules needed IMO. (If the Focus is Inaccessible I'd require it to be done out of combat, and needing a Stealth Roll as a start - also, Plot! helps.)

It's part of the upside/downside of Powers - sometimes, things happen. Like button-pushing prats.

Actually ben FREQUENTLY turns off the omnitrix outside of the first season' date=' but :P not worth arguing over.... (although i did just argue it there didnt I? bleh, )[/quote']

Yes, as a teenager he frequently can revert to his human form. But it’s a situational ability…

In the original Ben 10 series, he has virtually no control over the Omnitrix. He frequently assumes the wrong form, something he blames almost entirely on the watch malfunctioning. He doesn’t know how to take it off or turn it off. He primarily reverts to his human form when the watch times out. Generally, he can only change forms by reverting to his human form and waiting for the watch to recharge. There are episodes featuring specific plot devices that circumvent these problems, but they are few and far between.

In the first season of Alien Force, Ben demonstrates incredible control over the Omnitrix. There are virtually no accidental transformations in this season, Ben is able to change freely from one alien form to another and he is able to consistently revert to his human form by manipulating the dial. There are also numerous situations where he seems to revert to human form by mental commend, but I have been assured by the writers and editors that this is just supposed to be the watch conveniently timing out…

The second season saw an attempt to return the series to it’s roots a bit. Vilgax returned as the main enemy, Kevin was turned into a monster and Ben’s attitude returned in force. Ben was also way too competent and was subsequently nerfed. After a failed attempt to hack the Omnitrix, the watch returns to it’s previously glitchy ways, resulting in a return of the iconic accidental transformations of the first series. Ben can still change forms and revert to human form when necessary, but now there’s a catch. When the Omnitrix gives him the wrong form, he’s stuck that way til the watch times out, just like in the original series. To do otherwise would negate the drama, comedy and disadvantage of the situation. These rules/ limitations on Ben’s transformations remained the status quo through the rest of Alien Force and all of Ultimate Alien. It has already been shown that they will continue to use these rules in Omniverse, though that could change later.

Now, I’m not about to go through and count all the times when Ben could or could not freely turn off the watch, but the way I figure it in 9 season of TV spanning four different series, he’s got 1 Season of near perfect control, 4 seasons of moderate control and 4 season of virtually no control at all.

Whether this warrants my off the cuff comment of “most of the time” I leave for you to decide ;)