Pre Attacks

Ndreare

Re: Pre Attacks

It seems to me that PRE attacks should be treated more like Strength contests rather than a mental attack. In other words, rather than assuming a target value you actually have the target (setting the target at 30 PRE) roll the appropriate dice for his presence and use that as the target value. That would put a bit more randomness into the equation and make it so that people with an equal presence could actually intimidate each other.

Then you can implement some kind of downside. Something like what I outlined before where if you fail a PRE attack by 10 (you roll 15 and the target rolls a 25) it's as if you got hit with the attack instead, making you miss a half phase.

From a conceptual standpoint, someone who is "Equally Intimidating" as you (or whatever other interpretation you are using for PRE in this PRE attack) should probably, IMHO, have a hard time using a PRE attack successfully. It's not impossible, but you have to be really lucky or you have to set the stage in your favor (via bonus dice) to pull it off.

However I do agree that PRE attacks should have some possible downside. They weren't around (or else we just didn't play with them) when I last played, but it seems like they could get annoying fast, no real reason NOT to throw a PRE attack nearly every phase till you have no targets that can possibly be affected (that's A LOT of extra dice rolling for every combat). Putting some kind of limit on them would seem to be appropriate.