Your game/setting/campaign's feel

phoenix240

Re: Your game/setting/campaign's feel

Mine started out being late 1980s Marvel in feel, but has had a lot added on since then. Take a standard superhero world, but with most heroes thinking of themselves as police or military, instead of role models. There is no comic code restrictions - killing isn't encouraged, but is allowed, and some villains will try to kill the heroes. It's now as much people with powers as it is superpowers with costumes and code names, so the tv show Heroes and the comic Powers have had an influence.

At some point I wanted to add in the possibility of monsters and magic. I decided that Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Charmed in my world were loosely based on actual events, as they were the feel that I wanted. I also added in aliens, and stole liberally from Stargate, Alien Legion, and Battletech. I wanted a more realistic look at the world than you typically get in a comic, and so asked what would happen if there were large numbers of supervillains and evil organizations running around, many with the stated intent of ruling part or all of the US. That led to a less fun world (superpowered terrorism, fewer personal rights, large corporations running government), but since I don't want a GrimDarkUnhappy campaign, the heroes have a chance to turn things around if they wish.

I don't use characters from any comic or show. All heroes but one are my creations, and the exception was another player's main character in our college game. Most villains are from old (version 1-3) Champions supplements, although some have been tweaked in either origin or power. I also have a good number of my own creation.

Re: Your game/setting/campaign's feel

That campaign I have in my head right now would try to emulate the DCAnimated Universe in feel, with a dash of early-to-mid 1980s Marvel thrown in. The time period when all those liscensed properties were incorporated into the Marvel Universe (GI Joe, Transformers, Rom, Micronauts, etc.), and it felt like anything could happen.