CHAR design help needed.

Vigil

Hey Folks,

I've got a bit of a conundrum. I'm trying to devop a female character who is kinda silver age-ish in outlook: trusting, kinda naive, optimistic, upbeat..you know the drill. Early 60's Marvel.

Her rundown:

350 - 385 points

17-18 years old.

Light manipulation abilties (Multipower with huge ass Flash that costs her bigtime, other Flashes that would affect Radar and other Unusual Senses...light images, invisibilty, enhanced senses maybe some absorption or forcefield type powers...I want leave enough room so that as she gains points new abilities begin to pop up at an alarming rate...maybe even an Invisible Flash against Sight...is that possible or legal? I've never heard of one before and since I'm brainstorming it could be cool.

21ish DEX, either low (18) or really high (30) CON. Average PD, very hIgh ED?

Watched by her Father and his villainous teammates.

Dependance on Sunlight.

maybe a Phys Limit having to do with memeory loss or not realizing what she is

maybe a Psych Limit reflecting nightmares or flashbacks and maybe one reflecting claustrophobia or fear of the dark.

The sticky point comes in the fact that, in the storyline, she is supposed to be the heroine daughter of another character who is a superpowered member of a rabid anti-mutant villain group (his name is Templar, she is Spectra). Now the trick...how do you reconcile the two? She's cheery 60's...he's grim 80's. How would you build her origin so that she's not drowned at birth by her father since he and his team essentially make The Marauders look like the Glee Club? We're talking frothing fanaticism here...How do you keep her a hero (and not a cynical or jaded such and such) and him a hard edged villain? Or can you? I've been toying with some ideas...which I don't want to say too much about right now (cybernetic implant to mask her natural abilities from his cohorts?) but I'd appreciate any input?

Thanks in advance.

Vigil:D

We're talking frothing fanaticism here...How do you keep her a hero (and not a cynical or jaded such and such) and him a hard edged villain?

With a name like Templar I assume a religeous overtone to the villian?

Perhaps the family is relativly secluded, living in a small rural town. There has never been a mutant born in "Mayberry" (Templar: and there never will be!!) As such, dad has to travel to do The Lords work. He feels safe and secure in his small, Eden-esqu town. As such he feels like he can leave his work at the office. There is no need to worry the wife and children about this sort of thing. Ignorace is bliss, after all, and besides Spectra is too young to have the weight of the world on her shoulds. After a hard week of slaying mutants and staging riots a man needs to be able to go home for a little R & R.

"Jimmy" and Little Spectra: "What does dad do? Why doesn't he like to talk about it?"

Ma Templar: "Kids, leave you father alone, he's had a long day at work..."

Or perhaps the guy has multiple personalities, one a raving genocidal maniac and the other a kind and caring father figure?

Or perhaps the parents are divorced and the girl lives with her mother, menaing the father only has limited influence on how she has grown up.

just tossing out ideas here...

I'd suggest going the classic Magneto and offspring route here: Templar's wife leaves him as he begins his extremist crusade, without telling him that she's pregnant. Spectra is raised by her or by foster parents, never knowing who her real father is until their fateful first encounter.

BTW, a Flash attack with Invisible Power Effects is certainly rules-legal. How about an energy emission at a frequency beyond the visible spectrum, that directly affects the optic nerve?

Sounds like a fun campaign. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the excellent suggestions guys. Some more info to stoke the creative fires cause I'm having a real hard time reconciling these two siametric characters and yet i think that's what's compelling abiout the situation.

Maybe I'm too close to this situation to see it clearly so some more infro to help clarify:

Templar is, and you nailed it Bloodstone, a travelling tent revivalist preacher type. He's the advance man/scout for The Humane Society, the most fanatical and bloodthirsty mob of anti-mutant bigots you'll evver meet. They're made up of memebr who range from chemicaly enhanced to mytically gifted to full on cyborg conversions...just no mutants. He's a hate monger of the first order and yet, here's the pivot, he loves his daughter. So how does he get out of the conundrum. Or does he?

A couple of possibilities:

- He hasn't. This is the darkest scenario. He's murdered his own daughter bu out of grief, he's brought her back in a cloned/cyborg/android (heven't decided which) form. Hence her nightmares and phys limit.

-I'd mentioned the cybernetic implants...they'd have to be subtle so shes doesn't look like a cyborg...the hardware isn't the point. The point is he's impalnetd them to mask the fact that she's amutant from his mutant sniffing team mates. She's supposed to be a happy, normal, optimistic well adjusted child who doesn't know that her daddy is a frothing hate monger. Kinda like being Goebbels kid, I imagine. She's naive to the true darkness in the world and fights crime with a spring in her step, ahppy greeting and abig smile. She likes and trusts all sorts of people...which can get her into trouble. Of course if she gets in over her head would daddy come calling...God help her captor. Just brainstorming here.

The point is he's trying to shield her (or is he? get your paranoid universe thinking caps on) from his teammates (and his?) wrath.

So itseems what I'm looking for here is a plausible origin for acharcter who can exist in the ehart of agroup of mutant hating kileers and stillcall them uncle and aunty, etc.

I think this can be apowerful and compelling story arc about love and redemption if I can make it mesh...so help!

Thanks again,

Vigil

I've bought invisible flashes before, usually for mentalists.

Well, the obvious way is that they don't know she is a mutant. depends on how mutants are detected, and what exactly a "mutant" is.

Anyone with powers?

Anyone with wierd DNA?

Anyone who is different?

If you are a comic-heavy campaign, you can just say that a "blind spot" exists around her, making her invisible to mutant detection. Some powerful being/time traveller did it, to protect her from her father. Perhaps she has an important destiny in the future.

Another option. Girl really isn't the guys father at all. He has a powerful mutant enemy (like Magneto). She is actually the mutant guys daughter, and he believes she is dead. Since he has raised her for so long, the human father is actually beginning to see her as his, and hopes to cure of her "mutie freak nature"

By George, I've got it!

Hi Guys,

Well, the solution to my dilema has as to how to reconcile the mutant hating father and mutant daughter dilema and it's a bit of a variation on a couple of your suggestions (and thanks for you post, Ghost who Walks) struck me.

The solution is that neither know she's a mutant?

"Huh?" I hear you say.

Well, it works this way.

Templar is The Humane Society's resident armored murder machine. Seer is their resident precog. So, Seer foresaw (being what seers do) Spectra's birth and secretly intervened after her birth to implant a secret anti-mutant detector chip into her brain (it's built as Invisibilty to Targeting Detect Mutant, no fringe, 2 levels of difficult to dispel and IIF and Independent among other things). So she reads as not a mutant, even to the team's fierce mutant hound leader, Scourge. Even Specrtra doesn't know she is, she believes that she gained her abilities in a freak accident after birth. And since she thoroughly believes even deep telelpathy won't read any different. Only Seer knows and with his precognition and hideous ego defense, he's not tellin' either. he plans to use her growing control of the EM spectrum for his own eventual domination of the growth and beyond.

Now the trick.

Nirvana's unforseen presence in this reality is the x factor or maguffin that Seer quite literally couldn't prdict. For those that came in late, Nirvana is Worldwatch's resident darkness elemental/cosmic level powerhouse who should never ever ever have entered this reality but for certain reasons has. Her ship's crash renders her partially amnesiac so even she isn't aware of her true nature. Her presence, also, means that what he once foresaw as certain is in doubt and he can't go to his teammates with it out of peril of self-incrimination. So, he's now left with the task of protecting an increasingly powerful from his teammates and walking a razor fine line.

Sound good?

Thanks for you help, all.

Vigil