The Gambler's Silver Piece

Marcus Impudite

Recently a small-time crook in Campaign City has had a surprising amount of success at his criminal activities. Over the last couple of weeks, he's pulled several daring daylight bank jobs and made off with large sums of cash every single time; he even managed to elude the police and anyone else who tried to catch him. His winning streak finally came to an end, however. During his last robbery, everything that could go wrong for him went wrong, and it all ended when he was run over by a Fed Ex truck while attempting to flee. He survived, barely, but is currently hospitalized as a result of the accident. When questioned about his recent good and bad fortune, he says that it all came from a silver coin he found on the street weeks ago. Checking with the cops guarding him, you find out there was indeed a silver coin among his personal affects when he was brought to the hospital. A member of your group with the appropriate skill and inclination does some research and finds out the following about the coin:

It was once the good luck piece of an infamous riverboat gambler from New Orleans in the late 1800s. This gambler was well known for his phenomenally good luck right up until the night another gambler caught him cheating at cards and fatally shot him. According to the legend, the coin could give a person 24 hours of good luck or bad luck depending on whether or not they called a coin toss performed with it correctly.

WWYCD?

Very cool. Given that the known criminal is in the hospital, I suspect his coin in the police police property room. Since the coin does reportedly belong to the perp, he'd get it back eventually. My character, The Kraken http://www.herogames.com/forums/forum/genres/champions/3581064-what-pointers-do-you-have-for-building-martial-artists, would drop a hint to the felon, "Straighten up and I'll tell you better ways to exploit your coin."

Sounds Mystic - right up Vitus's alley. Of course, he'd be highly paranoid about it, even if a likely comment "Well, it's not like my luck could get any worse. What's it going to do, leave me stuck on Earth?" before cursing his overly detailed imagination and all the ways it COULD be worse. Think about it for a while and start coming up with ways to usefully abuse the effect - even every other night of random patrols going right for once would be a big improvement. And on a very lucky night he might discover some of the spells he needs by chance. Of course, he wouldn't be stupid enough to *test* these spells until a later night, when he'd already demonstrated that the good luck was in effect again.

Jrska would be even more suspicious - sounds like a Tzeentch item. Her inclinations are Slaneeshi. On the other hand, passing it along to her rival in the warband would be amusing, from a distance. Having a precog in the party invites horrible abuse of the item, too.