Master Grappler

Ninja-Bear

I came up wiith this custom talent from the discussion about grappler's disadvantage.

Master Grappler custom talent, a person is so adept at holding his target that he doesn't suffer the usual penalty for grabbing someone. It is bought as the following:

Telekinesis 15 STR ( or no more than the character's strength) (30 pts) Fine Manipulation (10 pts) ( to be able use other martial maneuvers) Unified (-1/4) (it is drained at the same rate strength is) Physical manifestation (-1/4) (The user's limbs) No Range (-1/2) No range is definitely GM approval realm. Here it is appropriate.

ACT 32 Real 16 END 3

Martial Maneuvers would need the extra Weapon Element for it, but that looks like a great build to me.

Lucius Alexander

Weapon Element: Palindromedary Mounted Weapons

Thanks, I'm always amazed how creative people are in making new and unique powers and abilities. As for martial maneuvers needing an extra weapon element, "other than grab or punch, a character cannot use telekinesis to perform any other Combat maneuvers. However, at GM's option, he can use it to perform any Combat Maneuver he has paid character points, though he must have the fine manipulation adder to perform maneuvers requiring finesse. ...Characters can buy standard and optional maneuvers at 3 points each. " fred pg 230. Further down, there is an option for GM's to impose a penalty to use TK with a weapon which can be of course paid off.

Ninja-Bear - it's a pretty creative construct. Unless you're going to hand-wave it, though, the cost will vary by the STR of the character.

psyber - yes exactly, he's trying to build a construct that allows the character to grab someone and not have their OCV and DCV effected.

I could never have thought of this, but I couldn't resist doing my own version.

Master Grappler: (Total: 28 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) Telekinesis (5 STR), Fine Manipulation, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (28 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), STR Minimum 5 if two handed, 10 if 1 handed (-1/4), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4) (Real Cost: 14)

By using the STR min Limitation, the Talent automatically uses the full STR of the character, as long as both hands are used. By using one hand, the character takes a 5 pt penalty to effective STR but still has to pay full END. The Required Hands Limitation also eliminates the implication that one could use this Power and still be doing something else with their hands.

edit: I'm using the 6th edition, and I think Ninja Bear uses 5th - I don't think that's a major difference for this but I could be wrong.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Combat Value

Ninja-Bear - it's a pretty creative construct. Unless you're going to hand-wave it, though, the cost will vary by the STR of the character.

psyber - yes exactly, he's trying to build a construct that allows the character to grab someone and not have their OCV and DCV effected.

Master Grappler: (Total: 28 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) Telekinesis (5 STR), Fine Manipulation, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (28 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), STR Minimum 5 if two handed, 10 if 1 handed (-1/4), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4) (Real Cost: 14)

By using the STR min Limitation, the Talent automatically uses the full STR of the character, as long as both hands are used. By using one hand, the character takes a 5 pt penalty to effective STR but still has to pay full END. The Required Hands Limitation also eliminates the implication that one could use this Power and still be doing something else with their hands.

edit: I'm using the 6th edition, and I think Ninja Bear uses 5th - I don't think that's a major difference for this but I could be wrong.

Lucius Alexander

Correct Lucius, I am using 5th (revised to be exact). Interesting use of the str min and hand limitation. But a thought, would hand limitation have an effect if the grappler bought his legs as limbs?

Lucius Alexander

Also, since its built as Telekinesis (and only 5 STR at that) wont your characters STR be irrelevant? As far as I know STR doesn't add to TK STR (unless you are handwaving that for this power) or am I missing something? Not arguing with you here just trying to understand whats going on :)