Review my magic system

JmOz

All Magic may be bought in a MP, further more there will be levels of expertiese in magic

All magic must be bought with the advantage Usable with End Reserve or normal End

Level 1: (need name for begenners)

15 Active Points

All powers in the MP will have -1 in limitations, this can but does not need to be applied to the MP.

Level 2: Apprentice

30 Active Points

Can have -1/2 in Var Lims (A -1/4 limitation) and -1/2in other limitations.

Level 3: (need name for wandering Mage)

45 Active Points

-1 in VarLims (a-1/2 lim)

Level 4: Magi

60 Active Points

-1/2 Var Lim (-1/4 Lim)

Level 5: Archmagi

75 Active Points

-1/2 Var Lim (1/4 lim)

May trade in MP for a VPP

Re: Review my magic system

Originally posted by JmOz

All Magic may be bought in a MP, further more there will be levels of expertiese in magic.

I'm trying the same idea, but for a heroic game (50 character+50 disad.s). It's hard for me to peg down a level system, since I go more by a literary narrative type of magic system - i.e., +1 experience points for creative and imaginative use of VPP.

All magic must be bought with the advantage Usable with End Reserve or normal End.

I would not make this a hard and fast rule. But, the majority of powers should follow this standard - otherwise, sounds good to me. ;)

Level 1: (need name for begenners)

15 Active Points

All powers in the MP will have -1 in limitations, this can but does not need to be applied to the MP.

Level 2: Apprentice

30 Active Points

Can have -1/2 in Var Lims (A -1/4 limitation) and -1/2 in other limitations.

Level 3: (need name for wandering Mage)

45 Active Points

60 Active Points

-1/2 Var Lim (-1/4 Lim)

75 Active Points

-1/2 Var Lim (1/4 lim)

Generally, sounds pretty good. I don't know if you read the thread about VPPs, but I make all my mages have the following:

• 1. 5pt. VPP.
    2. Detect Magic.
    3. Magic Skill.
    4. 5pt. Familiar, with familiar having 5pt. Mind Link to PC.(Follower)

But then again, we seem to have very different campaigns. ;)

Originally posted by Nightshade

How about Neophyte for the level one and simply wizard or adept for the other?

Nightshade

Its hard for me to tailor the names, names are very important. But with my reading of fantasy novels, I will give what I think the standard names might be.

Level 1: Apprentice

15 Active Points

Level 2: Adept

30 Active Points

Can have -1/2 in Var Lims (A -1/4 limitation) and -1/2in other limitations.

Level 3: Wizard

45 Active Points

60 Active Points

-1/2 Var Lim (-1/4 Lim)

75 Active Points

-1/2 Var Lim (1/4 lim)

But, do what you want. How are the names?

Good movie about an apprentice: Dragonslayer. Good book about an adept: Crispin Magicker (Out of print probably).

The most common titles for magic-users that I come across in novels are: Apprentice and Wizard. Everything else seems to be a fluke to a very limited set of novels - especially the title Archmage.

Level 1: Junior Apprentice/Initiate

Level 2: Senior Apprentice

Level 3: Journeyman Wizard

Level 4: Mage/(Master) Wizard

Level 5: Archmage/Arch-Wizard

My thinking is that the junior apprentice mostly sweeps floors and stirs the cauldron, the senior apprentice supervises and hazes the junior apprentices (if any) while learning some "real" magic, the journeyman travels around either on errands for his master or as an itinerant worker-for-hire, and the master wizard is the salaried or self-employed pro with his own tower. Apprentices are undergrads, journeymen are allowed to join a guild only as an associate non-voting member, while Masters are full guildmembers. Archmages are senior guildmembers, guildmasters, royal wizards, and crusty old hermits who don't give a rip about all that stuff. YMMV. :-)

My understanding is that the title "adept" implies "great skill."

Crispin Magicker is a cool story.

Mike

Okay, I LIKE the last post so here we go:

Initiate will be the know nothings to know very little

Ring to indicate rank

Apprentice, this is where the magic gets useful

Crystal Dagger represents rank

STILL NEED NAME: Jounryman is the right mentality

Robe to indicate Rank

Wizard/Mage/Sorcerer/etc... This is the level of Master, most at this stage will be teaching the craft to Initiates and Apprentices, working as court advisors, Exploring, etc...

Magic Staff to indicate rank

Arch-Wizard/Mage/Sorcerer/etc... Will be the big boys in the magic world

Robes to indicate Rank

Originally posted by Alcamtar

Level 1: Junior Apprentice/Initiate

Level 2: Senior Apprentice

Level 3: Journeyman Wizard

Level 4: Mage/(Master) Wizard

Level 5: Archmage/Arch-Wizard

My thinking is that the junior apprentice mostly sweeps floors and stirs the cauldron, the senior apprentice supervises and hazes the junior apprentices (if any) while learning some "real" magic, the journeyman travels around either on errands for his master or as an itinerant worker-for-hire, and the master wizard is the salaried or self-employed pro with his own tower. Apprentices are undergrads, journeymen are allowed to join a guild only as an associate non-voting member, while Masters are full guildmembers. Archmages are senior guildmembers, guildmasters, royal wizards, and crusty old hermits who don't give a rip about all that stuff. YMMV. :-)

My understanding is that the title "adept" implies "great skill."

Crispin Magicker is a cool story.

Mike

Essentialy that is how I see it, the only difference is that Initiates are alot more comon, many leaders will actualy be initiates themselves, and are trained in class room like enviroments.

The Apprentice is usualy a more one on one bases with a Wizard, who when he thinks he is ready sends him out on his own, to learn how to be a mage in the world