Reshaping Technology

Fedifensor

I'm trying to convert a character from an old campaign to 5th edition, but I'm not sure how to do it. The character had control over technology by touch - his most common action would be to touch something technological (a laptop, a car, a boombox, etc), and turn it into a weapon, by mentally disassembling it and creating something from the raw components.

Currently, it's written up as a VPP with the disadvantages Focus (OAF of opportunity, -1/2) and Requires Components (-1/4). The character also has a separate power, Transform (technological item to raw components), No Range.

There are a few problems with this setup. First, it's slower than I imagined. The character has to take a Phase to touch the object and transform it, and then switch his VPP in the following Phase. Even buying 0 Phase to switch won't change this, since attack actions end your Phase. Second, the transformed item is technically destroyed, and Transforms in 5E don't permanently destroy things. I guess you could say that the cure for the Transform is reassembling the object, but I'm not sure if that's a legitimate choice for a cure.

Ideally, I'd like the character to touch an object in the beginning of the Phase, transform it into a gun, then fire the gun as his attack action. Failing that, I'd like to have the gun made and ready to be used at the start of his next Phase.

The main issue with this setup is that transforming anything is an attack action. A Brick can grab a street lamp to use with a simple application of Casual STR, which is simply a different version of what I want to do - turn an object of opportunity into a weapon. The only workarounds I can see are far, far too expensive for what is basically a special effect.

Any ideas, folks?

I think this is nothing more than a Multipower with some different types of attacks with the Object of Opportunity Limitation. There is nothing saying that you cannot pick up a laptop and fire and EB with it. That is really just SFX. The effect in this case is that you change the laptop to a ray guy.

Originally posted by Monolith

I think this is nothing more than a Multipower with some different types of attacks with the Object of Opportunity Limitation. There is nothing saying that you cannot pick up a laptop and fire and EB with it. That is really just SFX. The effect in this case is that you change the laptop to a ray guy.

It really depends on the gamemaster...and the object you're using. Some GM's may have a problem with you casually grabbing a minivan and turning it into parts for a gun. I may end up defining the VPP with the Object of Opportunity limitation, while also buying a separate 1d6 cumulative Major Transform just in case.

Maybe apply the limitation Side Effects (-1 Extreme greater of 60 AP or power's,

+1/4 always occurs when changing VPP slot, +1/4 only affects Focus of opportunity, +1/4 Standard Effect Rule 3 Body/Die Major Transform Focus of Opportunity to OAF for VPP slot) total -1/4

Herodesigner:

97 Variable Power Pool, 60 base + 37 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Half-Phase Action (+1/2), No Skill Roll Required (+1) (135 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Limited Class Of Powers Available Slightly Limited (-1/4), Side Effects (Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage, Side Effect only affects the environment near the character, Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act -1/4)

Powers Cost: 97

Originally posted by ChocolateMousje

Maybe apply the limitation Side Effects

Actually, it sounds like the Side Effects would be a -0 limitation in this case, as there is both benefit and disadvantage. On one hand, I'm transforming an object for free. On the other, I'm doing property damage that will probably upset the owner of the item.