Bodyjacking power

Theros

Game information:

Possession (Mind Control Ego +60, Telepathy +40), Reduced Endurance (0 ENd, +1/2). No range (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) plus Desolification, Projection (+0), Merging (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2), Feedback from Host Body (-1), Linked (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4)

Possession does not use dice. Instead, it starts out as a value (I believe 20), and uses the value to compare to the victom's EGO score. Beyond that, it is just like "Mind Control" and "Telepathy", except that your 'inside' the opponent's body, keeping your INT, EGO, PRE, and INT based, EGO based, and PRE based skills, while using your opponent's physical abilities and skills 'for them'.

There are drawbacks to this. 1) Any damage thay take, you take also (Feedback), unless bought with the advantage "No Feedback". 2) You can't control your body while controlling someone elses (as it takes your 'full concentration' to do so). 3) Your limited to using your opponent's senses, and might lose track of your original body.

As always, there are ways around the drawbacks.

Yes, you could just buy a lot of Mind Control, and use lots of limitations to simulate this power, but Mr. Long designed this power to simulate Possession better than that.

Mind control is then 20 + 60 or characters ego + 60? Then that is compared to mind control table?

If I am reading it correctly, the Bodyjacking build (CP, 278) has bought the Mind Control effect to 60 and the Telepathy effect to 40 of the Possession power (APG, 74). I think the "+" should be removed from each as it doesn't look like enough point were spent in the Bodyjacking build to buy the effects to 100 and 70 respectively (the base effects of Possession are Mind Control 40 and Telepathy 30).

So, what you will do is compare an effect of 60 on the Mind Control table and 40 on the Telepathy table to the target's EGO to determine the result of each.

To use that power you make an MCV attack roll, if successful then you have possessed your victim. The victim gets normal mental power breakout rolls but the roll never improves.

As for what you can do, in this build the Mind Control "Effect Roll" is set at 60. Subtract the targets EGO and MD and see where you are on the Mind Control Effects table. That is what you can make your possessed body do. If you cannot get even +20 as the result then the Possession attempt fails (your victim is effectively Immune to your Possession power unless you can modify his EGO or MD in some way). The same thing applies to telepathy. Your "Effect Roll" is set at 40, subtract EGO and MD and compare to the Telepathy Effects table to see where you are and how much info you have access to.

Note that this is a fairly complicated power with almost two pages full of explanation in APG. If you want to use it I would HIGHLY recommend picking up the book (its a great book all on its own as well). While someone else may be willing to "cut and pasting" the entire rules of a power from that book seems wrong to me so I wont do that but I will be happy to answer questions/discuss uses and the like with you.

It's been a long time since I have played a possession character but I did play one for an extended time. If you want my advice based on experience:

1. Make sure your GM is ok with what this power means for the game. For example, he is going to to need a character sheet to hand you for every NPC he puts in front of you unless they can resist the power. He is going to have to plan combats taking into account that in phase 12 one badguy is now a goodguy and one goodguy disappears (the net effect is one less villain). Mind Control and Telepathy can also be hell on stories that involve a mystery.

2. Make sure you really want to play a possessor. The power is like a light switch. When it works, its awesome. When it fails you won't have fun unless you can do other things. The GM is going to have NPCs he doesn't want you to possess. Also, even if the GM has character sheets prepared, not every NPC is going to be optimized like a PC. Losing a hero and gaining a villain is not always going to be a good trade for the team, such as when your fighting a mob of agents.

3. Mind, Control/ Telepathy/ Desolidification builds are a bit wonky with all the different systems going on. If you want the power to work consistently like it does in the comics (like Jericho or Nocturne) I recommend something like this build.

Possession

Variable Power Pool, Multiform Only, Multiform can only be used to transform into the target, Linked to Extra Dimensional Movement (don't panic, see below)

plus

Extra Dimension Movement, Useable As Attack

The dimension is defined as as your mind, body, spirit or whatever you want to call it. The NPC goes away while the power is active. Useable As Attack requires a defense. I recommend something simple that will make the GM happy like "The target covers their eyes or has opaque eye protection". This way the GM has a little input on what NPCs get hijacked. "Sorry, the master villain has a thick opaque helmet on. Good luck getting that off." or "The guard has dark glasses on. You're going to have to get those off him if you want him to open the door."

To use that power you make an MCV attack roll, if successful then you have possessed your victim. The victim gets normal mental power breakout rolls but the roll never improves.

As for what you can do, in this build the Mind Control "Effect Roll" is set at 60. Subtract the targets EGO and MD and see where you are on the Mind Control Effects table. That is what you can make your possessed body do. If you cannot get even +20 as the result then the Possession attempt fails (your victim is effectively Immune to your Possession power unless you can modify his EGO or MD in some way). The same thing applies to telepathy. Your "Effect Roll" is set at 40, subtract EGO and MD and compare to the Telepathy Effects table to see where you are and how much info you have access to.

Note that this is a fairly complicated power with almost two pages full of explanation in APG. If you want to use it I would HIGHLY recommend picking up the book (its a great book all on its own as well). While someone else may be willing to "cut and pasting" the entire rules of a power from that book seems wrong to me so I wont do that but I will be happy to answer questions/discuss uses and the like with you.

This help a lot.

It is not that complicated power:

Roll OMCV, if successfull -> Compare results from table (EGO (Mind Control) 60 - Mental Defense - Target's EGO = result to be compared to table).

Check what you can do.

Then same check for telepathy (to make sure that command can be given): Compare results from table (EGO (Telepathy) 40 - Mental Defense - Target's EGO = result to be compared to table). No need to make OMCV attack roll.

In this power Possessor transform own body to psychic energy and goes inside the victim, it needs touching victim. I am actually GM and I allowed one player to take this power. I just wanted to be sure how that works in game mechanics.