Speedster Question

Guest cubist

Steve, I have an idea for a high-point speedster built with the folowing construct:

Spd 12 and then limited Speed+12, only for movement-i was wondering if this could be justified as a -1 limit, since the character cannot recover or attack or do anything but move in this action phase. The premise is that the person is so fast that they get a full move and attack action each phase. What do you think?

Since this is largely a how-to, I've moved it so others can offer their two cents. ;)

The problem is that SPD above 12 doesn't grant extra Actions -- it has no effect (5E 24), other than to make it harder to Drain the character's SPD to the point where it affects him. Of course, I suppose you could convince the GM to waive that rule.

A "book legal" way to make Full Moves and also attack is to buy a lot of extra Running (or whatever) with the Limitation Only To Make Half Moves In Combat (-1). If, for example, your character has Running 25", buy +25" only for Half Moves, and his Half Move then equals (50/2) 25". Voila, you're now making a "Full Move" and then can attack.

HOWEVER: May I suggest something easier:

It is called the Martial Arts, Grasshopper, espesialy those manuvers with the element called FMOVE.

Nice Side Effect with most of them is that you will ba able to do V/5 +Strike damage and not take any damage at all...Musch better than a silly Move by.

Give me a few hours, I will track down my Speed Fu right up (SL also has a different version of Speed Fu in UMA)

Thanks for the suggestion JmOz, but I was actually thinking this guy could do the full move thang and the move/attack or the extra move- he/she would be REALLY fast! All I was really asking about is would you consider only for movement to be a -1 limitation or a -1/2 limitation?

Originally posted by Steve Long

A "book legal" way to make Full Moves and also attack is to buy a lot of extra Running (or whatever) with the Limitation Only To Make Half Moves In Combat (-1).

Shows you how attentive I am. I came up with this idea and thought I was a genius! Here it's already in print AND set at the same value I gave it.

I was trying to simulate Anthem's ability to do a "tumbling run". It's basically a teleport that goes through intervening space (t-port because I wanted her to be able to avoid ground obstacles like mines, spikes, etc). She has 7" of running, so I wanted this to cover 7" as well. But then I realized she could only go half that and attack, so I made up a the exact same limitation.

Just goes back to the old addage: If all else fails, read the book! Woulda got me there quicker.