Glorantha HERO

UbiquitousRat

I've begun to set-up a campaign set in the classic Glorantha setting. So far, so good.

Today, I've tried to create a Multimissile spell. I'd like to know if you think it makes sense.

In short, you cast the spell on a missile like an arrow or sling stone. When the missile is fired, the spell releases additional copies of the missile which do the same damage dice as the original.

Multimissile

Creates a second missile, doing the same damage as the first.

Multimissile-1 Spell: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Time Limit (5 Minutes; +1) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge which Never Recovers (-4), OAF (cast on a single missile; -1), Requires A Death Rune Affinity Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Conditional Power cannot roll more damage than original missile (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Multimissile-2 Spell: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Time Limit (5 Minutes; +1) (60 Active Points); 2 Charges which Never Recover (-3 1/2), OAF (cast on a single missile; -1), Requires A Death Rune Affinity Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Conditional Power cannot roll more damage than original missile (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

And so on...

Thoughts?

You can probably use much of the conversion here: it's for 5th Ed. but the changes needed are minimal to make it 6th Ed. compatible.

cheers, Mark

Yes, I've been referring to it. I'm not, however, emulating RuneQuest... just referring to it. The set up for Multimissile there uses a continuing, recoverable charge: Power: 2d6 RKA, trigger (fire missile, +¼), (can only do same damage as original missile, -½), Consumes POW (-½), requires a magic Roll (-½), limited range (-¼), 1 continuing (5 minutes) recoverable charge, (-½)

Isn't a continuing charge going to mean that the missile continues to do damage for 5 minutes after striking the target? That is not the effect I want.

I do think that One Charge that Never Recovers mean that you have to buy the Power all over again once you've used it.

Ok. So what will get me additional missiles (up to 4, depending on the version of the spell) all in one go when you fire the original missile?

Is it enough to simply drop the "cannot be recovered"?

Multimissile-1 Spell:  Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Time Limit (5 Minutes; +1) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF (cast on a single missile; -1), Requires A Death Rune Affinity Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Conditional Power cannot roll more damage than original missile (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Suggestions, please?

While we're at it, here are two other spells:

Speedart Spell:  +9 with a single missile attack; +3 CSL to OCV, 6 CSL (+3 DC) to damage, Time Limit (5 Minutes; +3/4) (47 Active Points); OAF (spell cast onto a missile; -1), Requires A Death Rune Affinity Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Silence Spell:  +4 with Stealth, Time Limit (5 Minutes; +3/4) (14 Active Points); Requires A Harmony Rune Affinity Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

These seem more straight-forward.

I've begun to set-up a campaign set in the classic Glorantha setting. So far, so good.

In short, you cast the spell on a missile like an arrow or sling stone. When the missile is fired, the spell releases additional copies of the missile which do the same damage dice as the original.

Multimissile

Creates a second missile, doing the same damage as the first.

I would just make a 2d6 RKA Auto Fire (2, 3 or 5 shot max) and these limitations 1 Charge which Never Recovers, OAF (missile), Requires A Death Rune Affinity Roll, and Incantations

A couple of things I don't get:

• Conditional Power cannot roll more damage than original missile - Why?  I don't think this limitation is necessary unless the purpose is that if the first shot (2d6 RKA) does 7 Body then the second shot can only do 6 Body or less.  Lots of extra book keeping IMO.
  • Time Limit - Are you trying to make it so the spell can be cast ahead of time and only goes off at a certain point in time?  If so I think you want Delayed Effect and Trigger.

A couple of things I don't get:

• Conditional Power cannot roll more damage than original missile - Why?  I don't think this limitation is necessary unless the purpose is that if the first shot (2d6 RKA) does 7 Body then the second shot can only do 6 Body or less.  Lots of extra book keeping IMO.
  • Time Limit - Are you trying to make it so the spell can be cast ahead of time and only goes off at a certain point in time?  If so I think you want Delayed Effect and Trigger.

The idea of the Conditional Power is to limit the damage of the additional missiles to no more than the original missile. Thus, if I fire my Light Bow (1d6) I can only have 1d6 damage from the Multimissile. Of course, in this case, I might want to up my Bow damage a few damage classes with my CSLs to take advantage of the spell's power.

The Time Limit works to limit the spell, which is cast on a missile (say, an arrow), to function for no longer than 5 minutes after the spell is cast. Thus, the caster has to prep the arrow and use it inside the Time Limit, or lose the benefit.

Of course, there are questions around whether I want to import the RuneQuest-inspired parameters. Hmm.

Could you build it as a naked Power Advantage, with Limitations?

Thus:

Multimissile Spell:  Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) for up to 40 Active Points of a single missile attack, Time Limit (5 Minutes; +1) (20 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Requires A Death Rune Affinity Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Could you build it as a naked Power Advantage, with Limitations?

Thus:

Multimissile Spell:  Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) for up to 40 Active Points of a single missile attack, Time Limit (5 Minutes; +1) (20 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Requires A Death Rune Affinity Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

Yeah, I think autofire is the way to go here.   That you fire a single arrow that becomes multiple arrows in flight is a special effect.

Yes, I've been referring to it. I'm not, however, emulating RuneQuest... just referring to it. The set up for Multimissile there uses a continuing, recoverable charge: Power: 2d6 RKA, trigger (fire missile, +¼), (can only do same damage as original missile, -½), Consumes POW (-½), requires a magic Roll (-½), limited range (-¼), 1 continuing (5 minutes) recoverable charge, (-½)

Isn't a continuing charge going to mean that the missile continues to do damage for 5 minutes after striking the target? That is not the effect I want.

The continuing charge refers to the 2d6RKA: you get a 5 minute use of the power from your one charge (it'd need to be continuous to keep affecting the target). That lets you fire multiple arrows. Otherwise, 1 charge gets you one extra arrow, which IIRC (it's a long time since we played this: I think ... 10 years?) is not how the spell works - it lets you fire multiple arrows for the duration of the spell.

cheers, Mark