"defenses only apply once" advantage in diseases

Hi

6E diseases seem to be bought using this advantage (ie: Equipment guide p215, and others). But I don't understand what it means.

I can't seem to find that Advantage being described anywhere. As Diseases have NND, the defense either applies totally or not at all, so what does it mean to apply the NND defense only once? Or, if the defense which only applies once is some other defense, which one, and how is it applied?

I'm confused on this ... any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Still not really sure how "Damage only applies once" is relevant on a NND attack ... but I guess it doesn't do any harm either.

It has the same effect it has with any other defense. And actually it might be something you should not put on Diseases/Poisons:

If you put it on the power that means you only check for the defense when the power is dealing damage. You do not re-check for subsequent damage events. So applying LS: Immunity to Diseases after the power had it's first tick will have no effect.

This is in contrast to how Life Support is Described to work:

It should prevent further damage, while not removing existing damage. It can only do so if your Damage Over Time is build without "Defense applies only once".

It has the same effect it has with any other defense. And actually it might be something you should not put on Diseases/Poisons:

If you put it on the power that means you only check for the defense when the power is dealing damage. You do not re-check for subsequent damage events. So applying LS: Immunity to Diseases after the power had it's first tick will have no effect.

This is in contrast to how Life Support is Described to work:

It should prevent further damage, while not removing existing damage. It can only do so if your Damage Over Time is build without "Defense applies only once".

I think you absolutely have it right; I didn't consider that Immunity could occur after the disease/poison had been contracted. There's no value in pulling on your environment suit after you've breathed in a disease, even if no symptoms have yet occurred, but you'd be protected from future damage from poisonous gasses.

Thank you, that clears up a lot in my mind.

I think you absolutely have it right; I didn't consider that Immunity could occur after the disease/poison had been contracted. There's no value in pulling on your environment suit after you've breathed in a disease, even if no symptoms have yet occurred, but you'd be protected from future damage from poisonous gasses.

That is a Limitation on the Life Support (the Focus aspect in particular), not so much a thing of the Attack.

And one could make a breath gass whose damage occurs over time (works more like your disease example).

In some cases "Healing a Disease" and in many cases of "Curing a Poison" it involves just giving the target the fitting Immunity/Defense via UBO.

General Antidote would often be build as:

LS: Immunity to all Poisons (5 Points), Time Limit (limitation), Focus (fragile; Flask)

Some games go a different route and instead use Power Defense to model immunity to Environmental Effects, Poison, Disesaes and the like. It allows partial immunity/resistance and in 6E it is a 0-cost change in the AVAD advantage from "LS. Poision, NDD" to "Power Defense.