How to build roll modificating complications?

Tom2405

Iam wondering how roll modifying complications should be built in 6th ed.

Lets take for example a character who is quite suspensible to being seduced (or persuaded very easily). Thus all attempts at this get a bonus of 2 for all attempts to try this on the character.

And aame example with a variation that this only counts if the character has ingested at least a glass full of alcohol within the last 8 hours.

If you read the rulebooks physical complications are not just for the physical body. Read the descriptions for physical complications and psychological limitations and you will see that psychological ones can be overcome by EGO rolls, mind control, etc. Physical complications cannot be overcome this way, so it would always apply.

So it probably SHOULD be a Pscyhological Complication - unless for some reason I can't Mind Control you into not being Persuaded.

If it's a Physical Complication, someone can Persuade you into not being Mind Controlled.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says, what if it's a Spiritual Complication?

Hm, so it's a Physical Complication. So if I Mind Control this person and say "Hit your friend" and the friend says "No, don't do that!" and makes the 8 or less Everyman Persuasion roll (or better if they actually bought the Skill) then Mind Control is negated.

There is no direct rule (that I know of) that ties specific numerical penalties to a specific numerical Complication value. I'd say the value depends a lot more on how far the character can be persuaded.

If literally ANYONE can talk the character into literally ANYTHING, then even if the Persuasion roll gets no bonus, that's a severe Complication.

Conversely, if the character can only be talked into reasonable sounding things, then even if the persuader gets a +5 it might not be such a severe Complication.

Lucius Alexander

The palindomedary will return

Valid in the sense of Rules as Written, no.

Valid in the sense of being fair and balanced, I dunno.

Another thing you could do is buy EGO to zero and then buy it back with a Limitation "Not vs (whatever.)" Then in order to resist, the character must make an EGO roll with EGO of 0, making it a 9 or less roll, with bonuses and penalties for the situation and the specific request and penalties for how well the Skill was rolled.

You could also model it as Susceptibility using Mind Control rather than damage; every Turn someone makes their Persuasion (or whatever) roll, take xD6 cumulative Mind Control, with a breakout roll every Turn they DON'T make that Persuasion roll.

But in my opinion the best, simplest solution is a Psychological Complication that forces the character to make an EGO roll any time someone succeeds against them with (whatever Skill) and with suitable bonuses and penalties for circumstance (Say,+10 to resist someone saying "Go jump off that bridge") Unless you want someone to be suicidally gullible, in which case make it a Total Psych Complicaton ("Sounds like fun! You'll be there to fish me out of the river, right?")

Also remember, what you're trying to model is "How is this character DIFFERENT from everyone else?" Ask yourself what a Persuasion roll means to any other given player character, and then ask how does this character differ?

Lucius Alexander

I differ in having a palindromedary

Lucius Alexander

Hm, so it's a Physical Complication. So if I Mind Control this person and say "Hit your friend" and the friend says "No, don't do that!" and makes the 8 or less Everyman Persuasion roll (or better if they actually bought the Skill) then Mind Control is negated.

There is no direct rule (that I know of) that ties specific numerical penalties to a specific numerical Complication value. I'd say the value depends a lot more on how far the character can be persuaded.

If literally ANYONE can talk the character into literally ANYTHING, then even if the Persuasion roll gets no bonus, that's a severe Complication.

Conversely, if the character can only be talked into reasonable sounding things, then even if the persuader gets a +5 it might not be such a severe Complication.

Lucius Alexander

The palindomedary will return

I would say that it would still be a Physical Complication. Just in this case the mind control would trump the persuasion IMHO. If the Physical Limitation was suggestable (-2 to Ego Rolls to resist Persuasion, and other Pre Skills), I would rule that the Mind Control would also gain a bonus from that.

The biggest benefit that I would give the friend is to on his/her successful persuasion roll, a break out roll for the person being mind controlled (at the same -2 that they resist all persuation attempts).