D&D 5e concept conversions (6e Hero)

eepjr24

So I am dinking around with converting some ideas from the new D&D to Hero. Just looking for ideas for how others have or would implement some of them.

1. Savings Throw - Where applicable a check versus appropriate ability to see if the target gets half (or sometimes no) effect from a spell. My ideas center around spell system limitations on the spells themselves, but hard to differentiate between half and no effect since it looks like they would both be -1/4 if not based on AP of the spell?

2. Feat progressions - Mostly interested here in how to keep progress even while maintaining a structure around gaining new feats / abilities. Something like every N experience you are eligible to pick a new feat. Something similar will be in play for spells in the casters realm.

Also looking to thoughts for other general conversion strategies around D&D 5e, if anyone has tried it. Starting points (currently thinking 75+50), packages, everyman skills, whatnot.

- Ernie

1.  Damage reduction with activation rolls? Though why I do not know why one would  keep saving throws . They are a 1970's answer as to how to defend against magic for a miniature game.
  2. Feats are after my time with AD&D. But you might want to look at advanced package deals and build feats with an advancement in a package deal.

I like the idea of saving throws against certain concepts.  Stuff that you can resist through enough willpower or magical ability, or just being agile.  A spell that isn't possible to dodge, but through force of will prevent taking effect

That is really what I am after. Partly it is a flavor thing, I don't want it to have a huge long term impact on the game. Also, I think it illustrates well the challenges of learning magic and is more appropriate for lower level spells that ones learned before they had a full grasp of how to truly optimize your skills.

- E

1.  Damage reduction with activation rolls? Though why I do not know why one would  keep saving throws . They are a 1970's answer as to how to defend against magic for a miniature game.
  2. Feats are after my time with AD&D. But you might want to look at advanced package deals and build feats with an advancement in a package deal.

1. Flavor. =) There are many many ways to do things in Hero, this one just fits a particular mind set and helps some folks transition smoothly.

2. I don't want it too conscripted, I will probably just go with some limits on the initial packages on AP you can spend on feats and let it grow organically from there.

- E

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of saving throws against certain concepts.  Stuff that you can resist through enough willpower or magical ability, or just being agile.  A spell that isn't possible to dodge, but through force of will prevent taking effect

I don't know about 6th edition but 5th edition FH had a suggestion of Arcane Dense as a figured characteristic. A combination of PD, ED, Ego Defense, Power Defense, and Flash defense that only works against magical effects.  But it is expensive though. They suggest 3 to 5 pts for every +1

I've thinking of using it based on EGO for mage defense while dwarven magic resistance it would be based on CON.

I don't know about 6th edition but 5th edition FH had a suggestion of Arcane Dense as a figured characteristic. A combination of PD, ED, Ego Defense, Power Defense, and Flash defense that only works against magical effects.  But it is expensive though. They suggest 3 to 5 pts for every +1

I've thinking of using it based on EGO for mage defense while dwarven magic resistance it would be based on CON.

Why not just use Damage Negation? Defined as "Magic Damage Negation" it would affect anything that can directly damage you. That does leave out Flash and Transform, but not that big a deal in my book. It is 5 points per DC and works against killing, normal, and AVAD, plus Body and Stun drains.

- E

Why not just use Damage Negation? Defined as "Magic Damage Negation" it would affect anything that can directly damage you. That does leave out Flash and Transform, but not that big a deal in my book. It is 5 points per DC and works against killing, normal, and AVAD, plus Body and Stun drains.

- E

Like I said I don't know 6th edition.