Recharging your powerstone/staff/ whatever you your endurance battery is

Wardsman

One of the older Fantasy Hero editions had a rule where you could recharge your endurance battery with a magic roll but it cost Long Term Endurance on a one to one basis.

What do y'all think? Too steep or does give the magic system flavour?

One could update it and base the LTE cost on how much regular endurance per turn they were pushing into it.

Seems a bit steep if that is the only way to recharge, unless maybe the campaign has a lot of non-played "down time".

I actually used to use that method, but also each staff had its own additional way to recharge that depended on the type of magic it was made to be used with.  A fire wizard, for example, would have to build a bonfire and put is staff in there for several hours to get a full recharge,  but might get less from a smaller fire or more time.   A necromancer would have to perform a ritual (sapient) sacrifice to fully recharge, would get less from sacrificing an animal, and would even get a little from the (mass) sacrificing of plants.   Generally, my rule was that it would take a whole day to fully recharge, with complications (such as needing a bonfire, or a human sacrifice) speeding the process up.   A staff (or what have you) containing one kind of magical energy could not be used to cast another kind of magic, generally speaking.

I thought it gave the magic system flavor.

I would probably let that work without a problem as is. They are spending their personal "mana" to recharge the staff's "mana". I would not use it as the only method unless that was part of the build of a magic system. And in that case I would expect people to buy lots of END and as much as they could down to 1/2 or 0 END for personal powers.

- E

Yes, I allow personal recharge (the mage pouring their own mana into the item) or recharging at specific "Mana pools" (known as Essence flows and Foci in Shadow World) which has excess mana that mana batteries will automatically use to recharge themselves.

I also have the vast majority of mana batteries recharge slowly overtime. This simulates them drawing from the general ambient magical energies of the world. I give them a Recovery which usually recovers by the hour as opposed to by the Turn.

Yes, I allow personal recharge (the mage pouring their own mana into the item) or recharging at specific "Mana pools" (known as Essence flows and Foci in Shadow World) which has excess mana that mana batteries will automatically use to recharge themselves.

I also have the vast majority of mana batteries recharge slowly overtime. This simulates them drawing from the general ambient magical energies of the world. I give them a Recovery which usually recovers by the hour as opposed to by the Turn.

But is 1 lte vs endurance recharge too much?

But is 1 lte vs endurance recharge too much?

The answer is: it depends. It really depends on what other controls are in place for the magic system, recharging items, END and how you handle LTE for other purposes. If the only thing LTE is used for is recharging and reduced endurance is common on magic items, it is probably not enough. If you are an OCD accountant of encumbrance and LTE during battles and / or many magic items have increased endurance cost, it is probably over the top. 

I think generally it is fine, you can always tweak to suit if it turns out to be too onerous.

- E