No races in Fantasy hero complete?

Posivated

Some of it is the alternative of playing a videogame where all the work is already done for you and the graphics are prettier. The change in generations does not come without a source.

That maybe explains why newbie GMs don't go into it appreciating the effort required to create and run an interesting campaign. But I kind of feel that playing video game FRPGs sets up an expectation for a rich setting in the minds of players. Most of the kids that make the transition from video games to the tabletop have probably spent a lot of time in Azeroth, for example, which has substantial in-game lore and plenty of unique texture to go along side its generic elements. Going from that to playing in someone's indistinct generic fantasy setting would feel like quite a step down, I imagine. I would understand why they would just go back to playing the video game instead.

It's popular because it gives players something they can latch onto without lots of work. It also makes the GM's job easier because people know what a Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling etc are. They know what to expect from them etc. Which makes it more fun when you have Characters that break the mold for those races.

I chuckle because I thought everyone was on the same page with dwarves then my brother played and well we didn't see eye to eye. (Well it probably has to do with my brother tho. Lol)