Tar Baby

Agent 537

I could almost swear that I've seen this written or discussed somewhere, but I've searched thru the FAQs, thru several of my Hero books, and the forums themselves. If what I'm speaking of is there, I missed it, likely because I was searching too hard.

What am I speaking of? I vaguely remember someone writing up a 'tar baby' power, wherein when Hero A Hits Villain B (who has this Tar Baby power), Hero A's fist is now stuck to Villain B. The question is: how does one write up this power? Start with Grab? Start with Entangle? Sticky? No range? Trigger? Has anyone seen this, or did I just have a dream about it?

I believe I remember the original "tar baby" discussion - IIRC it was on the old forum discussion boards, but I can't recall exactly where.

As for the here and now, probably the simplest way to model this power would be to apply the Damage Shield Advantage to the Clinging Power. That's specifically discussed in the description of Clinging on FREd p.94, even calling it the "tar baby" effect.

Clinging isn't the offensive power

In a Tar Baby situation, the fact that they are stuck just means they cannot get free. By making it Clinging Dam Shld you get two distinct types of tar baby. The ones that have a large STR value who can squeeze on their next action (because the hitter caused himself to be grabbed), or you have those who have only bought up the Clinging STR itself which means they don't squeeze as hard (or at all in some cases) but are very hard to break free of the grab.

While this could be modelled with a AOEHex entangle centered on self with personal immunity it gets kind of kludgy to handle the idea that the "tar baby" themselves could choose to "let go" suddenly. Anyone remember the Blob latching onto Colossus's fist when punched and then flinging him away suddenly? (Eeeww, extra limbs "Flab hand" only to push away )

Scotto the Unwise