Did I set my players up for failure?

xylden76

I think the problem was lucky hits while using hit location rules in a Superhero game. XD.

OP said they were 160-point characters, so I assumed it was Heroic. (Sounded like modern espionage from the description?) I agree that using Hit Locs in a Superheroic game is much less fun, especially if you're also rolling for Knockback.

If the players are new to RPGs, they may not know how to fight like a well-coordinated team. In which case, you may wish to fudge a lot of dice rolls just to avoid TPKs while they learn proper tactics and teamwork.

Even if the players are experienced RPGers, they may not yet grasp how to apply good team tactics to the Hero System game mechanics. In which case, again, you may wish to fudge things until they become more proficient with the system.

However, if the players are experienced Hero System players, then there should be no need to fudge dice rolls or otherwise hold their hands to prevent TPKs. Bad dice rolls will wreak havoc with even the best team play, but dice rolls should even out in the long run. The (unintended) massacres contribute much to the epic storyline that is being created in the campaign, so don't worry about them too much. It's all part of the game/experience.