Lingering magic?

badger3k

OK - heres the problem. I'm trying to work up a music magic - where the spell lasts as long as the caster plays, and lingers afterwards. The caster will be at 1/2 or 0 DCV throughout the casting (I haven't decided), and can basically play as long as he wants (and pays for it, if I use END cost).

The gestures part works for the "must play instrument" part.

Does the lingering suffice for the rest? Reading it, the literal interpretation seems to be no - the advantage seems to keep a power ready for use for a set duration. Maybe raise the advantage to reflect the variable nature - since it only goes into effect after he stops playing.

Or is the uncontrolled/continuous path better? Since the power is active every phase, maybe that way is better. Just give it enough END to run the expected time length and handwave the first part so long as the character feeds END?

What about using charges. Uncontrolled doesn't work there, but the continuing charges does. I could see dropping the continuing charges by one level for the extra time spent playing.

I suppose I could buy the variant form of uncontrolled given in FH (p 258) in which a time limit is used instead of the END pool. That would simulate a spell that has playing + but isn't exactly what I need. It just sets a maximum duration (kind of like the Concentration (1 rd/lvl) used elsewhere.

Hmm - Put the uncontrolled advantage under a limitation that it doesn't start until after the music stops? Or give it lingering?

Aargh - my head hurts. Anybody ever try anything like this?

Put the Power on an END Reserve. Let the END Reserve only recover when the character is playing his instrument. Make the REC a little higher than what the Power uses during the course of a Turn. Set the Power up so that as long as there is END in the Reserve it must continue (-1/2, just like Always On).

When the character stops playing, there will be some amount of END left in the Reserve, and the Power will continue to draw from it until it's gone.

just buy it uncontrolled with incantations throughout.

phase 12 - play instrument and pay 1 phase worth of END, it lasts 1 phase

phase 3 - play instrument and pay 1 phase worth of END, it lasts 1 phase

etc.

then when you want to stop playing

phase ? - play instrument and pay END to have uncontrolled lingering effects