Detects and Power Frameworks

iamlibertarian

Goo

That's ultimately what GMs are for:  If nobody else is going to take a Detect Magic and the detect was pretty limited (such as Detect Magic) I, personally, would allow it in a pool.  If you were a mage who wanted to provide 'spell defense' (Power Defense to your team) and most of the campaign wasn't going to feature Power Defense targeting attacks I'd probably allow that in a pool too - rather than forcing a character to have 20 to 30 points tied up on something they're probably not going to use every adventure - let alone session.

(Though if they did take it outside a pool I'd make sure to include power defense attacks more often than I originally planned so they get use out of it.  This has actually recently happened - with my players going 'Wow, it's a good thing you took that power or we'd be getting creamed" ... unsuspecting that the encounters were designed as a reaction to the purchase of the power.)

Good GM! Giving the players what they want *and* challenging them at the same time...even when they don't realize that challenge is what they want most :)

Like Dean, I allow Enhanced Senses and other special powers in a VPP or Multipower, with the understanding that they won't become an "instant problem solution" thing.  It helps that the PC gadgeteer in my Champions campaign is basically clueless about creating her own powers, so I wrote up a sheet of sample gadgets for her to choose from.**  If she wants to do something unique on the spot ("can I create a laser pistol that affects those extra-dimensional creatures attacking Honey Badger?") I generally write something up then and there.  It's more worrisome with the team mage, whose player does know how to create powers well, but he complies with the understanding noted above, so thus far we're good.

** Maker's gadgets typically have non-focus Limitations on them, as I try to keep the Real Points to nice round numbers (5, 10, 15, 20, etc.) to make it easier for her to pick gadgets within the total Pool limit.  So I can limit the gadgets to keep them from becoming insta-solutions.

One thing about putting stuff like Power Defense, Mental Defense, and Flash Defense in a Power Framework legally is very easy:  use Resistant Protection.  Sure, it's slightly more expensive that way.  But it's perfectly legal.